• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the /proc directory

beckj

Lurker
Nov 13, 2010
After installing MyPhoneExplorer to be able to backup my Samsung Galaxy S, I found a directory /proc in the phone memory that contains hundreds of subdirectories with a name consisting of 1 to 4 digits. There are a few more files and directories there as well. All these files and directories are of course also visible via Astro file manager. Most of the files show the same time stamp, which points to a few minutes after the last reboot of the phone and a size of zero bytes. When opening these files with a text editor they contain text.
I was surprised of the amount of these files and I think I didn't see them when I browsed through the file system with Astro file manager a few days ago. I'm new to Android and am afraid of the idea that I might have caught a virus.
What are these files for?
Why do they change their time stamp to a few minutes after reboot time ?
Why do they show a size of zero bytes although they actually contain text ?

Can anybody explain me what's about this directory ?
Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones