• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root what is the three button method?

I see many references in the forum to the "three button method", apparently for clearing some troubles. Sorry for the newby question, but could someone please tell me what this is? DOes it apply to the Vibrant S phone?
Thanks in advance.

The 3 button method is called Recovery and download mode.

On the Galaxy S it done by using the Volume Up + Home + Power keys all pressed at the same time, (this is for recovery mode)

Download mode is: Volume down + Home + Power keys, all pressed at the same time.

Both are done with the phone turned off.

On the Galaxy S variants, ie Vibrant ect it is different key combination.

Search google for vibrant recovery mode

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.
Now for the really stupid question.... what kind of recovery are we talking about here?
i.e. when would you want to use these 2 procedures?

If you update your phones firmware either via kies or odin and there is some sort of a problem you can go into Recovery mode and do a wipe data/factory reset and this will clear out all the troublesome files.

If you have done any firmware updates it is recommended that you do a wipe data/factory reset, to clear out any remnants of the old OS. This is because the Android OS is not very good at removing all of the old OS.

Reactions: Kalle99
Upvote 0
Thanks! I believe I had the very propblems referred to here. FLashed upgrade to Froyo 2.2 but did not immediately factory re-set. Had problems w email sound notifications. Later factory reset did not resolve the problem. Had to replace the phone and have stuck with 2.1. Afraid to try again based on all the complaints about the upgrade I've seen online.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I believe I had the very propblems referred to here. FLashed upgrade to Froyo 2.2 but did not immediately factory re-set. Had problems w email sound notifications. Later factory reset did not resolve the problem. Had to replace the phone and have stuck with 2.1. Afraid to try again based on all the complaints about the upgrade I've seen online.

If your worried about doing any update you can always take it back to where you got it from and ask them to do a firmware update for you.

Upvote 0
I just tried to do an update using Kies and my phone red screened. I took the battery out because I didn't know what else to do and now it wants me to connect my phone to the computer but when i do nothing happens.... What do I do?

What phone do you have? Galaxy S I9000 or one of the variants
If you have the Galaxy S I9000, use the 3 button combo to get into recovery mode, then select wipe data/factory reset

Power phone off and wait 60 seconds.
Press and hold the following>Volume Up + Home + Power keys

Upvote 0
I took my phone to AT&T. They said that my was bricked and that the only thing they could do was replace the phone. I got a new phone and let my boyfriend do the update on his computer. (BTW, I have seen some places that says AT&T will do the update for you if you ask them, that is not true. They are not allowed to do any software updates due to the risk factor involved.) The update ended up working when he did it, but I'm not sure why it worked this time but not the last.

Thank you everyone for your help :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones