What is this dot? Is it a light?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ReasonableMan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. My friend asked me if the HTC Desire (we both that just got ours, and I've spent a significant amount of time hacking around with it, he not so much), like the iPhone 4, had a front facing camera. I thought he was crazy and asked why he thought that, and he said "well what is this dot here?". Well it's definitely not a camera, but there is in fact a little dot that is very hard to see near the top of the face, opposite to the battery charge indicator. I suspect it's an indicator light for something. But what? I cannot make it light up.

I've attached a picture showing where the dot is. Hold yours up in the light and you'll see it eventually. Anyone have any clue what it's for?

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Proximity sensor. Shuts the screen off when you make a phone call and bring the phone to your ear.

ReasonableMan likes this.
  3. Fishyweb

Fishyweb Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Can't see it on mine, but the position you describe is roughly where the proximity detector is. Could that be what you are seeing?

4. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Ha! never noticed it before, I always wondered how the proximity sensor worked!

5. mrgsmith77

mrgsmith77 Active Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Nottingham
    I ordered an official HTC Desire screen protector from fleabay and it acualy has a small square cut out for the proximity sensor on the left and for small hole for the LED notification on the right.

6. Ah, nice, I just sent away for the InvisibleSHIELD for HTC Desire... hope it has a similar hole, or that the sensor still works through the screen.

7. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    The light sensor is up there as well. Thats what controls the brightness on auto brightness

8. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

You might want to change the pic unless your mates really want their phone numbers published on the Internet :D

9. nacatomi

Jun 22, 2010
    With the copyright on there I doubt its the OP's phone

10. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

I knew that :eek: :D

11. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    That also answered my question - Was wondering if his username was a cunning ploy, or he just had a slightly effeminate hand. :p

12. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    I cannot seem to find this at all on mine?

13. nacatomi

Jun 22, 2010
    Its barely visible, you have to catch it just right. Dont worry about it though, you have one.;)

14. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    The screen protector doesn't need a cut out for the proximity sensor to still work.

15. diggerbucket

diggerbucket Active Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Excellent! I've been wondering how those things worked. They both function just fine with a protector over the top for anyone wondering :)

16. HTC_Desire

HTC_Desire Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2010
  17. murphwiz

murphwiz Member

Aug 7, 2010
    It doesn't but it still works perfectly!

18. aldredd

aldredd Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Senior Systems Analyst
    Milton Keynes, England
    Yep, if you look really carefully, you can just see it - right next to the prox. sensor.

Tags: