• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is this Icon that looks like a Satelite dish?

madogblue

Jun 29, 2010
Hi;

I have notived a new Icon that seems to pop up every thirty seconds or so, It lis located to the left of the GPS Icon and it looks like the side view of a satelite dish at a forty five degree angle with three flashing green semi circle "signals" coming out of it? What the heck is this.

When I go to advanced task killer and kill absolutely everything it still comes up?? :thinking:

SO I stopped advance task killer and started it again and what do you know there were all sorts of things running that it didn't show me before, what is up with that???

Come to find out it was my weather bug elite that was running in he background and updating all the time

Is this the best task killer to use???

Upvote 0
SO I stopped advance task killer and started it again and what do you know there were all sorts of things running that it didn't show me before, what is up with that???

Come to find out it was my weather bug elite that was running in he background and updating all the time

Is this the best task killer to use???

Remove this. It's doing you more harm than good.

EDIT: Oh and that's your GPS icon.

Upvote 0
What is happening is an app is loading to update your location (could be google Latitude, a weather app, or other such program that updates your location (precise) every so often) However, before it can lock and update, your task killer kills it. So then a few seconds later, it loads back up to update your location again, and the cycle continues.

Upvote 0
Blame Verizon for the widespread misuse of the task killers. When I called to complain about battery life issues, they recommended ATK. A week or so ago I got an email from VZW with tips and tricks for the INC and one was to install and run ATK.

Some believe the forums and some listen to support. It's a shame that Verizon is perpetuating the myth that a task killer is a useful everyday tool for these phones.

Upvote 0
Blame Verizon for the widespread misuse of the task killers. When I called to complain about battery life issues, they recommended ATK. A week or so ago I got an email from VZW with tips and tricks for the INC and one was to install and run ATK.

Some believe the forums and some listen to support. It's a shame that Verizon is perpetuating the myth that a task killer is a useful everyday tool for these phones.

I don't see how it's not useful. Can someone explain? Like, after 5-10 min of use, at least 20 apps are open when I only opened Pandora and the Internet. Using ATK closes the one's i don't need in like, a second.....

Upvote 0
It's not GPS, that is a different ICON, I have the same one it looks like a target. The gps is a half circle with 3 lines coming out of it. I do think someone was right regarding location cause its the same Icon you see within google maps when you hit locate me. If you turn off your location completely it should go away.

Anyone know if this has much affect on the battery?

OH and get rid of task killer, eat the 99 cents. If you need a worthy program that includes a task killer check out system panel app. I rarely use it for any task killing unless I'm ananalyzing app usage.

Upvote 0
It's not GPS, that is a different ICON, I have the same one it looks like a target. The gps is a half circle with 3 lines coming out of it. I do think someone was right regarding location cause its the same Icon you see within google maps when you hit locate me. If you turn off your location completely it should go away.

Anyone know if this has much affect on the battery?

The target icon represents e-911. It will always be there, even if you disable location.

The GPS doesn't use any battery when it is enabled but not in use. The only time it uses your battery is when you see the dish icon with the green lines emanating from it. In this case, if on for more than 30 seconds, it will use up a lot of juice, I'd say maybe 2hrs at best with the stock battery at full charge.

Upvote 0
OK, what's the icon to the left to the location setting that kind of looks like a kidney bean with waves coming out of it. It doesn't look like the speakerphone icon shown in the manual...did they change it?

read above, to the left of that location icon is your GPS icon, its telling you it's tracking satellites. It's a side view of a dish with 3 lines NOT the same as the cross hair with 3 lines.

Upvote 0
I don't see how it's not useful. Can someone explain? Like, after 5-10 min of use, at least 20 apps are open when I only opened Pandora and the Internet. Using ATK closes the one's i don't need in like, a second.....

If you are using the "kill all" function, then you are basically restarting your phone every time use it. All of the things that normally run like syncing emails and contacts, "preparing sd card" for use, and other basic operations of the phone are restarted every time you do that.

If you are killing certain applications that you find "opening on their own" after "20 min" then chances are they have permission to be open, such as an RSS feed program. So you are fighting a losing battle, the program will keep re-opening and you will keep killing it. Just an endless cycle resulting in wasted battery, not to mention the task killer program running all the time...

Upvote 0
If you are using the "kill all" function, then you are basically restarting your phone every time use it. All of the things that normally run like syncing emails and contacts, "preparing sd card" for use, and other basic operations of the phone are restarted every time you do that.

If you are killing certain applications that you find "opening on their own" after "20 min" then chances are they have permission to be open, such as an RSS feed program. So you are fighting a losing battle, the program will keep re-opening and you will keep killing it. Just an endless cycle resulting in wasted battery, not to mention the task killer program running all the time...

What is happening is an app is loading to update your location (could be google Latitude, a weather app, or other such program that updates your location (precise) every so often) However, before it can lock and update, your task killer kills it. So then a few seconds later, it loads back up to update your location again, and the cycle continues.

;-)

Upvote 0

This has been covered ad nauseum in other threads, so I will give you the short version and you can research further if you wish.

Android processes can be placed in the background where their CPU cost is zero. The operating system is smart enough to manage this without help from an external program.

Killing idle processes will cause the OS to start them up again and this cycle will consume more CPU and power than leaving them alone in the first place.

Android is a "real" operating system. Let it do its thing.

Upvote 0
Pages 25-26 of the User Guide has all of the icons and their meanings.

Attachments

• icons_1.JPG
    icons_1.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 357
  • icons_2.JPG
    icons_2.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
OK, so I got rid of the task killer and got the control panel app which is simply awesome for monitoring and gather data so I will base my actions on facts and not rumours. I will let the phone do its thing for a wile and gauge the battery life.

To end the discussion about what the Icon is, NO its no the standard GPS bullseye, it is the weatherbug elite getting and update on my location (by gps). :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones