• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is this icon?

Sorry I don't have a screenshot, but every once in awhile - usually in the morning - I see a small icon in the upper right, near the signal indicators, that looks like a phone handset with 5 or so small horizontal bars surrounding it. I can't find reference to it in the manual, and the verizon store rep said she thinks it "might" be the backup assistant. Anyone see this and have any ideas?

Sorry I don't have a screenshot, but every once in awhile - usually in the morning - I see a small icon in the upper right, near the signal indicators, that looks like a phone handset with 5 or so small horizontal bars surrounding it. I can't find reference to it in the manual, and the verizon store rep said she thinks it "might" be the backup assistant. Anyone see this and have any ideas?

You can take screenshots without rooting the phone, power and home button.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Yep - I just haven't had an opportunity to catch my phone when it's there and I'm coherent enough to do something about it... early morning + no coffee = no good!

I'm not sure, but I think that's for the sound setting, either silent or vibrate. Maybe it starts out on that and then after coming up fully it goes to the last setting it was at.

It could also be no service, but IIRC that's a little x just above the signal meter.

Upvote 0
Are they curved bars? Sounds like the GPS is updating. Does it look like the bottom icon here?

android_icons3.jpg

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm sorry I can't post it - as I mentioned, I can't reproduce it (can't figure out what made it come up - but it's on the right side of the notification bar, so would seem to be system-related, and not from an application I've installed), and I haven't seen it in a few days. However, this is a rudimentary MS Paint drawing of what it looked like:

attachment.php

Attachments

• icon.jpg
    icon.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm sorry I can't post it - as I mentioned, I can't reproduce it (can't figure out what made it come up - but it's on the right side of the notification bar, so would seem to be system-related, and not from an application I've installed), and I haven't seen it in a few days. However, this is a rudimentary MS Paint drawing of what it looked like:

attachment.php

Wow, that's an odd looking notification. I can't say I've ever seen that one, then again you said you created it out of MS paint. I'll see if anyone I know has ever seen it.

Oh and for the record, it looks like an alien space ship from the old Atari games I used to play with as a kid :p

Reactions: BigRoach
Upvote 0
Maybe it's for the TTY setting. I dunno, I turn on TTY and make a call but that icon doesn't show up.

I think you're right about that actually. It looks like it's a setting for the Hearing Impaired.

OP, do you have any accessibility devices or have you ever had any accessibility devices installed (No need to answer here, just a question to ask yourself)? Maybe the phone is looking for that device that was once connected. I know they make some devices that attach to the phone that enable voice to text or some other accessibility option. If you've never had such a device installed then you may have a defective unit that's picking up the signal needed to register such a device has been installed.

Upvote 0
Interesting thought, and I agree, it makes sense. I don't see an icon next to the TTY section in the manual, so I'm not sure if they have one that specifically shows when it's in use - but I did check and apparently, it was turned on on my phone, set to "Full". Although I haven't seen the icon since I initially posted, I certainly don't see it now - hopefully, that's the answer (and thanks, if so!).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones