• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what is UID 10068?

rhodiggah

Nov 3, 2009
Not sure if this was addressed and I'm baffled by this running app that's draining my battery.

Used Spare parts
Clicked on Partial Wake Usage (since last plugged in)
and the first thing on the list says:

UID 10068

Not sure what it means or what app it is (if it is an app)

I hope someone can tell me what this is...

Thanks...

Well, I downloaded ACTIVITY EXPRESS MANAGER and found the culprit. It was HANDCENT SMS.

Glad you figured it out. You have no idea how long it too me to figure out that trick with Activity Express, glad to help end the frustration. I did searches and asked on here several times when I was having problems with an unknown battery killer, but no one could help. Eventually, I started searching for apps that would display the UID for apps.

Overall, Activity Express is a pretty handy and compact app to have, even if you don't use it as a task killer.

Upvote 0
Not to resurrect a really old thread, but I thought I would add a little insight here. The UID or User ID of an app is set at install time of the app itself.

So, the UID for an app might be a certain number on one person's handset and an entirely different number on another person's handset. The UID is a "sandboxing" feature of Linux, and ultimately Android, that makes sure that apps cannot mess with each other's data. This means, for example, your email client app cannot look at files related to, say, your Twitter app. The files in internal storage related to an app must have the same UID as the app itself to be accessible by that app. As for files stored on a microSD card, there is no way to set a UID for them because the FAT32 file system has no ability to set UID permissions on files. That is also related to what has been in the news recently with regards to any app having access to the photographs stored on your microSD card.

Reactions: Lobo89
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones