what is your data connection?

1. substring

substring Well-Known Member

For those who have bought the Galaxy Tab, I would like to find out what version and what type of data connection you are using:

1. WiFi version and connect through home WiFi network.
    OR
    2. WiFi version and connect through 3g mobile hotspot on your smartphone.
    OR
    3. WiFi version and connect through a MiFi device.
    OR
    4. 3g version and sign up for a data plan.

Thank you very much.

Advertisement
    :
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

How about option number 5?

WiFi only version with tethered 4G connection from phone ;)

Of course...I use home and work WiFi most of the time.
  3. bartlaroc

bartlaroc Member

4) 3g version, payg with 6 months data for
  4. substring

Thanks for the responses. :) I would love to buy a tablet, but it is the additional data plan that's holding me back. Right now, I am already paying $30 a month to VzW for unlimited data on my Fascinate. I don't really want to sign up yet another data plan.

And no, I don't want to use it at home which kind of defeat the purpose. I have enough laptops at home for that (4 laptops in total).

I want to carry it with me instead of the laptop because of the light weight. Basically as a laptop replacement when I am out of the house or the office.

If I use the 3g mobile hotspot feature on my Fascinate, I will have to pay additional data fee. So it is really no different from signing another data plan.

That's why I am asking everyone on how you deal with such dilemma. Or is everyone just paying up? Tablets have been sold in millions since the iPad introduction last year. I cannot imagine all these people are willing to pay a secondary data plan. Or people are simply using the tablets as a glorified iPod Touch? Just wondering.
  5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Glorified iPod touch?...yeah, I'm using mine that way for the most part. The feature set isn't as important as the screen size. I believe in 3 levels of mobility because the tablets can't fully replace a laptop...but they are much more eye and finger friendly than phones. Although, I did not once remove my laptop from my bag this entire weekend because of my tablet.

I'm sure many people pay for a stand alone data plan but if your phone is rooted, you can download "wireless tether" from the android market and tether your 3G data connection to a tablet. I don't recommend using this as a permanent everyday solution but it may be a nice and free solution if your usage is light. I'm not going to normally tether my 4G connection from my TBolt to my tablet...so I'm not willing to pay $20 for it.

Having said that...if you plan on tethering a lot, you should just ante up.
  6. jasonacg

jasonacg Well-Known Member

I split between WiFi and 3G on Sprint's network. With the access I have to WiFi, I only went with Sprint's 2GB data plan for $29 per month. They do offer a 5GB plan for $59.99.

If I could have gotten a discount on the Tab by subscribing to the hotspot service on my Epic, I would have done that, for the 4G access when I'm in those areas.

I also bought my Tab to downsize from a laptop. In my case, a 17" laptop. Needless to say, I shed a LOT of excess baggage. :)
  7. substring

I think the tablet can be a laptop replacement for the most part. Yes, you cannot write serious programming code on a tablet or building an Excel model to analyze your Profit & Loss on a tablet. But those are the tasks that you will be doing in your office. When you are on the go, you won't be performing heavy-duty tasks and therefore, you don't need to carry the laptop.

For example, when I attend a conference (I do that several times a year), all I need are email, Twitter, and internet browser. A tablet will be perfect for that.

I heard from one of my friends that his company has given out iPads to everyone so that when they go to any internal meeting, they will be carrying the iPads instead of the laptops (they dock their laptops in their office).

Furthermore, you can install VPN, Citrix, or VNC on the tablets. Therefore, I believe that it won't be long the tablets will replace the laptops when you are out of the office or home. It is inevitable.
  8. Wifi at home, wifi at school, and wifi at friends houses. Everywhere I go there's wifi so why need 3G? I have my Android phone for maps and what not.
  9. substring

I never use public WiFi because it is not safe. It does not take much to hack into your device while you are on the public WiFi network. It is almost like leaving your house's front door wide open at night.