1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite keyboard app?

Last Updated:

1. exclaymation

exclaymation Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, I currently use Slide It and I like it a lot. There a few things that annoy me about it, so I have decided to try out new keyboards. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. faithcry

faithcry Well-Known Member

8pen is worth a go... the learning curve is steep but its worth it in the end, i think.
    the latest version of swype is not as intuitive as the predecessor, but it still good. i still think that HTC_IME is the best one, just cause its very customizable, including skins and what not. :D

3. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Lately i've mostly been using Swype. SwiftKey is a good tap-tap alternative.

8pen looks pointless. Very steep learning curve and the gesture required per letter would get you an entire word in Swype. It would be stupidly slow even if you perfected it.

4. wildrose

wildrose Member

I've been making a real effort to use 8pen, and it's good, but I'm still playing with MessagEase and Graffiti for Android too.
    I like the prediction of HTC Touch, and Graffiti once I remember all the strokes. My son prefers MessagEase of them all - it's a combination of tap and slide, and has a bit of a learning curve, tho easier than 8pen. Once I master 8pen, I'll devote some effort to MessagEase b/c I think it has the most potential.
    I like SlideIt least of all, although I like it's keyboard to tap - seems I don't hit so many adjacent keys in it.

5. exclaymation

Yeah, I joined the Beta for Swype but haven't heard anything. I will check out a few of these. I like the slide thing but I don't mind tapping. I really struggle to slide while I walk.

6. SiHa

SiHa Well-Known Member

I tried Message ease for a couple of weeks. I was up to ~120cpm after a few days, but I still found that the standard HTC keyboard was faster, especially when using prediction. In the end, I uninstalled.
    I too have registered for the Swype Beta, but will stick with the stock k/b for now. I think that I probably don't type enough on the phone to get fluent on anything else quickly enough.

7. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member

Oh no it's not. ;)

8. shadowy

shadowy Active Member

Are you saying the learning curve isn't steep or it's not worth it? ;)

9. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

Shapewriter is a great alternative to Swype. It is still available on the web, just Google it. I also like Swiftkey and Smartkeyboard Pro.

10. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member

Oh it's definitely not worth it. Absolutely ridiculous concept!

11. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Swiftkey is nice;) You can download the language module of your choice

12. exclaymation

I downloaded it today but it was too crazy for me

13. exclaymation

I can't seem to find Shapewriter on the market. The website said that it was available in the market. Anyone got a link or a QR code?

14. Lanod

Lanod New Member

Thickbuttons

15. tjennhw

tjennhw Active Member

Many alternatives to Swype but honestly, it's the only great one out there. Beta is floating around if you look.

16. Kalavere

Kalavere New Member

Swype is in my opinion the best keyboard you can get for Android, I absolutely adore it. 8Pen is very clever it must be said, it takes a lot of intelligence to think outside of the box where standardized SIPs are concerned and I think they have done a stand up job, however I can't get on with it at all, it's too slow. But kudos to them regardless! :D

17. pa4ul

pa4ul Well-Known Member

I love shapewriter. IT makes typing big words real easy.

18. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

I've opted for 8pen

Its incredibly difficult to use, far slower than any of the other options, but I keep using it because it feel like for every text I send, is a Sudoko my mind no longer needs to do.

I'm actually on my 3rd day of using it, and starting to find a lot of shortcuts, like after entering 3-4 characters, its guessed what the word I'm typing is, and I can start on the next word.

After I master it, I'll either go back to the HTC Keyboard, or give MessagEase a try

19. phredbull

phredbull Member

With Swype's dictionary, I was constantly having to go back and fix things. I started using MessagEase and am really enjoying it. The dev is very responsive, and I think when they add word prediction, you'll be able to fly!

20. Cudda

Cudda Well-Known Member

I like Smart Keyboard PRO.

21. Miths000

Miths000 Well-Known Member

I've tried getting used to Swype, but I'm too often struggling to get the words I'm aiming for - and even when I do manage to get a complete sentence correct without me or the software screwing up in one way or another, the whole swiping thing just feels a bit too awkward for me.
    And yes, I've been touch typing for 20 years so I know my way around a QWERTY keyboard (albeit one in this size, and with no tactile feedback, is a fairly new thing for me).

Maybe I just haven't looked enough into the options or the documentation, but it also seems to me that once Swype thinks it has guessed the word you want (and for me it guesses wrong far too often), you're locked in and forced to subsequently delete the entire incorrect word. But I'm sure I must have overlooked something there? If nothing else then a quick word delete button or something?

At the moment I'm using SwifKey X Beta instead. Which also has the benefit of simultaneous word prediction for both English as well as my native Danish (although it is pretty rare that I write in Danish outside of the occasional text message, so having Danish words clutter up the predictions when I'm writing in English, can actually be a bit annoying now and then).

22. LNMoton

LNMoton Well-Known Member

Swiftkey is my favorite. Typing is a lot faster and the predictions are great.

23. prjctchris

prjctchris Active Member

I switch a lot between SwiftKey, Better Keyboard 8, and the stock Gingerbread keyboard.

24. wyelkins

wyelkins Well-Known Member

I am liking SwiftKey and just got the paid version. what is up with the X version? Should I use that instead of the paid?

25. psychoswim

psychoswim Member

I use Swiftkey X beta. Love that it gives me predictions in both English and French at the same time instead of having to switch languages. Switched to the rapid style of typing and it seems to work pretty well for me.