1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite Task Killer/Manager?

Last Updated:

1. UnderWhat?

UnderWhat? Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys.

Anyway, I just wanted for everyone to post their favorite Task Manager/Killer, and why, and if there are any flaws.

I personally use Advanced Task Killer Free. It has a simple UI, and the when you select or unselect apps it remebers it so next time you launch the app you can only remove the apps that you usually do, and keep ones that always run. It doesn't slow down or break the system.

post yours

Advertisement
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

task panel, bar none, best app. It's totally free.

Here's why I love it.

Task Switching
    When you start it, it shows what's running, tapping an app takes you to that app.

Task Killing
    When start it, it shows what's running, tapping and holding brings up choices like killing the app, adding it to the Ignore List, and adding it to the Wanted List.
    Additionally when it starts it always has two standard options with the list of running apps, they are KILL ALL and BACK TO HOME SCREEN. Very convenient.

Ignore list
    You can add things like the alarm, the keyboard, the dialer, and any other apps you want to NOT kill if you use the KILL ALL option.

Wanted list
    This is my favorite feature, one that is missing from all the other task killer apps I've seen so far. You can have Task Panel check available memory every so often. If memory is below a threshold that you pre-determine, it will start killing apps listed in the Wanted List. For example, I never use Voice Dialer or Voice Search --- but for some reason they pop up on their own in the list of running tasks. I added them both to the Wanted List so that they don't lag my memory all the time.
    This isn't a foolproof feature, you have to be smart about what you add to the Wanted List. For example, I had 3rd party email app I use for work on the wanted list. The problem was that a couple times when I was trying to use that app, the memory theshold dipped and it was auto-killed. Obviously some apps shouldn't be on the wanted list.

In the past I used task killer and task switcher, and both had things that made them less than perfect.

I used DG Quick cut to put Task Panel in the Notification shade, so that I have easy access to it along with toggle settings and memory for lemmings.

3. UnderWhat?

UnderWhat? Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cool, just checked it out, its great.

4. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

Task panel doesn't seem to exist. I can't find it anywhere.

5. dalbinsson

dalbinsson New Member

Search for TaskPanel in one word. :)

bugeye999 likes this.
  6. DaZ_M

DaZ_M Member

You don't need dg quickcut to put it in the notification bar - you can set taskpanel to be always active and it will put itself in there :)

7. LaughingJohn

LaughingJohn Active Member

+1 for taskpanel

8. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

True, however since I'm already using quickcut, I can have at least 3 quick cut links without one of those "you have a lot of alerts" icons appearing. -- The ones that are a plus sign with a red dot and the number of alerts.
    When I used it by itself and had quick cut, I always had 2 notifications waiting. In other words, if you're already using something like quick cut, it's best to use it for all your notification shade links, as it cuts down on that red dot counter showing up.

9. madfella

madfella Member

Nice app! Thanks!

10. phwaap

phwaap Well-Known Member

I used TaskPanel exclusively for a few weeks until I tried ASTRO Processes which comes bundled with ASTRO. It's interface is more polished and useful, having 3 tabs for Apps, Services, and Processes. Also, gives the cpu and memory usage. If you already have ASTRO installed I would highly recommend using this rather than installing a separate app.

kerrdj and spyro8811 like this.
  11. ratheke

ratheke New Member

I have seen multiple issues with the advanced task killer. I have seen it cause the user to be unable to get texts, unable to make calls, and other random issues. Unistalling the app does not work. It can cause corrupted files and this requires a hard reset of the device. Advanced task killer is a common thread in most software issues I have seen with android phones.

I realize there are benefits to advanced task killer like preserving battery life and such but I myself will not use it on my phone.

12. nikkyt

nikkyt New Member

Just started using taskpanel on my droid. seems pretty solid at this point. I like the 4x1 widget (1x1 is alright too). I have used es task manager, astro, advanced task killer, and taskiller. This one seems to be the best so far. i like the autokill function. that is pretty much what i have been looking for. Thanks!

13. xpresident

xpresident New Member

Is there a task switcher out there which displays all running apps in the notification panel? IE it has an icon in the notification bar and when we open the notification panel it shows the running apps in its entry. Tapping any of them takes you to the task. I dont know if its possible as I havent seen notifications with multiple clickable actions, but if it is possible, it would be the best task switcher I think, as itd be switching tasks with only two taps.

Ive tried advanced task killer, taskkiller but eventually settled on Appswipe, as its the closest to what I said above, app switching is a very important feature which i think lacks a bit in android.

14. inaz4sun

inaz4sun Well-Known Member

Never had any problems with it.

15. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

Android's built-in task killer, because all others are completely pointless.

blahsaysmeu2u, Abdur and daisy40 like this.
  16. ub3r-l33ch

ub3r-l33ch Well-Known Member

Astro File Manager's built in process manager.

17. mdsj

mdsj Well-Known Member

I use advanced task killer. Did have one issue but the developer resolved it in about an hour. I think its a great app, and my battery actually lasts all day now.

18. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

Is this the "hold home button until dialog appears"? I've noticed that if I back out of running apps (instead of pressing home and allowing it to keep running in the background), my battery doesn't seem to be draining. I use about 3% battery for every 5 hours of cell idle. I'm using an Acer Liquid with 1350 mAh battery.

19. gm991

gm991 Well-Known Member

"System Panel" is sweeeeeet

aburgthing and daisy40 like this.
  20. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

The only time I use any task killer is before using a couple of very resource hogging games (example: Homerun Battle 3D). For that I use the Advanced Tasked Manager widget which kills preselected processes, eliminating lag and crashes. In general, the Android operating system does a good enough job of juggling apps in memory.

21. steveownedu

steveownedu Member

I like Taskiller. You click the app, and click the kill all button. Perfect. Or you can just click the app that's running. Running apps are shown in green. So, Taskiller, ftw.

22. koolbon

koolbon Active Member

I second that one.

23. android4

android4 New Member

I like Auto Process Killer the best. The free version even includes Auto Killing but the paid version auto starts on reboot and has a great kill now widget with status information!

24. iluvbacon

iluvbacon Member

25. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I use Advanced task manager paid version. Checked out SystemPanel and was not impressed. some applications started freaking out and not working properly when I used SystemPanel. No problems with Adv Task Manager though.