• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is your "personal system"?

I'm looking for some suggestions on what I call a personal system. Here's what I mean...

The Droid is capable of so much and I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way of using it. Here are the components of my system and the apps that I think meet that need:

Calendar - native exchange calendar application
E-mail - native exchange and gmail application
Texts - native text application
Notes - 3banana
Tasks - Astrid
Journal - My Day
Pictures - ???
Video - ???
Secure information (passwords, etc) - B-Folders
Lists (shopping, etc) - AK Notepad
Voice notes - ???

What I'm really looking for is 'something' that will integrate all of my 'inputs' in my life. These 'inputs' include video, pics, audio, notes, tasks, lists, etc. The holy grail would be one application that integrates everything on the Droid, has a corresponding website for PC input, review, etc and syncs seamlessly between the two.

I used to use a product called Reqall that did some of the above but they don't have an Android application. Before that, I used a product called Backpack from 37signals, but they went from being a personal product to a business product.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does Google provide any sort of integrated 'system' that would accomplish the above? Is there anything else out there that might do this?

Thanks everyone...

Calendar - native exchange calendar application w/ calwidget
E-mail - gmail application
Texts - native text application (didn't like handcent)
Notes - Evernote
Tasks - Astrid synced w/ rememberthemilk.com
Journal - Don't need one, people write about me lol jk
Pictures - Default Camera - Android 2.1 gallery
Video - na
Secure information (passwords, etc) - Not for me
Lists (shopping, etc) - Astrid
Voice notes - Evernote, rarely

Upvote 0
I honestly find it funny how things have evolved.

AOL was the first ISP targeted towards the masses. It put everything into one program - your browser, instant messenger, email, search engine, etc... and it all sucked! As soon as people got alternatives they ditched AOL and started specializing - separate browsers, separate email apps, separate instant messengers, etc.

Now Google is becoming the new AOL, with all their services accommodating basically everything a person would want to do, and everybody loves it this time around :p

With that out of the way:

Calendar - Pure Calendar widget + native calendar app
E-mail - native exchange and gmail application
Texts - Handcent
Tasks - Astrid
Pictures - Camera, 2.1 Gallery and Picasa
Video - Camera, 2.1 Gallery, YouTube/TubeDroid/Ustream
Voice notes - Voice Recorder

Notes - don't use my phone for notes.
Journal - lol?
Secure information (passwords, etc) - memory
Lists (shopping, etc) - don't use my phone for lists.

Upvote 0
Wow! Great feedback. A few thoughts...

I agree with johnlgalt/jdw...a single app would be troublesome given the security risks.

Crankerchick really said it well...multiple apps for the independent functions that speak well with one another.

Blacksheep brings up an interesting point...Google. They appear to be heading down a path of integrated functions. Calendar, e-mail, tasks, documents, social networking, etc.

Maybe the Android equivalent of these Google apps could be developed in a way that allow them to talk with each other on the phone and sync seamlessly with the cloud.

There's a product called Touchdown that provides a level of integration on the Droid but only in an exchange environment. Couldn't something like that be developed for all of the Google applications?

Upvote 0
Can Sweeter home take calendar data and make tasks out of them to show in gTasks, or make tasks show in calendar, and can it sync your contacts icons to the calendar if you invite people to a particular event that you set up in the calendar....

I think you might have missed the point of this discussion, or else I have missed the point that Sweeter home is one helluva app that is far more than just a home replacement app....
Swetter Home is one helluva app that is far more than just a home replacement, but, uhh, no. It can't do that. I did miss teh point. Scuzeme & sorry for sounding like a SH sales rep.lol :p

Upvote 0
A significant amount of my work involves phone conferences, as well as txt messages from colleagues. I also need to keep a close eye on missed calls. Corresponding notes are sometimes desired. To pull all of this together, within ONE area-- my preferred gCal--, I use PhoneLogger. Once configured, it immediately dumps all phone calls and SMS to that specific gCal. Using Calendar Pad, set to native view, a tap or two shows me the running list of communications, with appropriate timestamps (and call duration). It's then a cinch to make whatever notes I desire. Most helpfully, PhoneLogger expressly/uniquely includes "Missed call from xyz <555-123-4567>" within the cal event title itself, further enhancing productive quick-glance views.

For tasks/projects, I use freebie Shuffle, which includes a very helpful "Add to Google Calendar" option per item.
Shuffle for Android - AndroidZoom.com

Since my assorted gCals already include appointments, this setup essentially integrates the other essential matters into gCal as well. It perfectly accommodates my need for auto-syncing for safety's sake, as well as working from my Big Boy laptop & netbook with the same info. Since I use Outlook to change gmail subject lines for a more useful header, OggSync handles mirroring gCal (and Contacts). This ensures I'm always seeing the same info, no matter what machine I'm using at the moment.

Finally, to keep it all together on my Droid screen, I use a two-fold widget combo: Executive Assistant+ and Pure Messenger. EA's tabbed interface is a marvel. The body shows missed calls' basic info, SMS, gmail headers, calendar items, and more-- you decide what to include. You can configure each tab to open a preferred app. Example: I use Google Voice, so tapping my SMS tab dumps me into the GV app, while tapping the calendar tab takes me to Calendar Pad. Pure Messenger, on the other hand, gives me the full body of gmail and SMS withOUT leaving that home screen. (Note for GV folks: SMS Popup is the only other 3rd party app which allows configuring "reply (to number)" to dump you directly into the GV app.)

To be sure I can get to everything quickly from one home screen, I use More Icons Widget, 4x1.

The folks behind Pocket Informant are working on an Android version. That will eliminate this sort of piece-it-together setup. But until that stellar app materializes, I've basically worked things so that the native calendar is my base.

Screenies and descriptive blurbs of mentioned apps
(note: dxtop = my home replacement app-- no lag or instability)

Executive Assistant+ $2.99
Executive Assistant + for Android - AndroidZoom.com

PhoneLogger: a little over a buck
PhoneLogger for Android - AndroidZoom.com

Shuffle
Shuffle for Android - AndroidZoom.com

Calendar Pad
Free: Calendar Pad for Android - AndroidZoom.com
About $2: Calendar Pad Pro for Android - AndroidZoom.com

Pure Messenger: under $2
Pure messenger widget for Android - AndroidZoom.com

More Icons Widget: $1.99
More Icons Widget for Android - AndroidZoom.com

Your Other Items
I'm with you regarding journaling choice: MyDay.

Passwords: After using RoboForm for years (decade+ ?), I discovered that I needed to escape their lock-in via "only html export". Freebie KeePass saved me, pulling that html export in and converting it to csv. It also grabbed my Firefox passwords. That process leaves me free to use virtually any app, but I'm still working thru several to make a final choice.

As regards video and pics, G-Backup handles pushing those items to gmail, in an intelligent and hands-off fashion. I don't care that it's not in gCal, as they seldom concern true work matters.

====
Non-work-related:
There are assorted proximity-related task apps, but I've found most of them to be too cumbersome to deal with on a day-to-day basis, or I simply disliked the UI. That ultimately prompted my $7.99 purchase of List Plus, which lets me EASILY set one OR MORE locations per item. Look for the trial version in the Market. No screenies here, since the ones posted at websites are unhelpful.

Upvote 0
I was hoping to revive this discussion to see if there were any new developments with integrated apps.

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm looking for a more elegant way to integrate all of my "inputs"...e-mails, appointments, texts, pics, tasks, notes, video...really anything that I could capture in the course of a day.

Ideally, this would all be captured in the "cloud", seamlessly sync to the Droid and be integrated among all the apps/inputs.

Any additional thoughts, suggestions? Thanks all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones