What kind of a deal can I realistically get on new service with an Incredible?General

Last Updated:

1. Reginald VelJohnson

Reginald VelJohnson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Around Incredible release day, I'll be in the market to sign a contract with a wireless carrier. It will just be a single line, and I currently don't have a contract with any carrier, nor am I personally a current Verizon customer. In reading various places, it seems people have gotten their NE2 bumped up a few months, had the activation fee waived, and gotten a few other little goodies by playing their cards just right.

So here's what I'm looking at:

$60 - 450 minute talk and text plan
    $30 - data package
    $35 - activation fee
    ~$270 - for phone (assuming a one year contract and buying online to get $100 instant rebate)

Anybody think there is any way to get a better deal at any point of this transaction? They only possible leverage I have is-
    A) I'm a "new customer".
    B) I've administered the wireless account for a small company (15 or so lines with VZW) for many years worked several times to keep our business with Verizon when the higher-ups wanted to move to someone cheaper.
    C) I could be persuaded to wait for the EVO if Sprint announces anything official between now and the 19th.

Best Buy Mobile and Costco aren't options for me. I know how to work the corporate accounts side, but it's been a long time since I've had to deal with the personal side.

Any input?

Advertisement
  2. ncsustash

ncsustash Well-Known Member

if you have administered the wireless account you should have negotiated a rate reduction for your company that could be applied to your own account.

3. Reginald VelJohnson

I wasn't aware they would do that... Then again, I hadn't asked yet. Our discount is only 10%, but it's better than nothing. :D Thanks for the info.

4. VZW RSR

VZW RSR Active Member

First you should be aware that if you purchase online from VZW you normally won't have any opportunity to negotiate as things are automated. So I'd recommend a dealer you can address face to face. Yes you might end up dealing with a rebate, but thats really not so bad.

Unfortunately in the direct stores where I work, there really isn't any pricing flexibility, even when it comes to acquiring new customers. Managers no longer have any allowance for "discretionary" discounting. You might be able to save some money on accessories or your monthly price plan depending on who your employer is. If you work for a company with corporate liable (company pays the bill) lines, or for most state and federal employees, you probably get discounts on your personal line.

You could try an indirect dealer, generally they are able to set their own pricing. They will simply weigh the commission gained from your price plan against however much they'd end up losing on the phone. They might be unlikely to discount the phone though if supplies are short. You also need to be careful about secondary contracts with indirect dealers. You can end up with an ETF with them as well as VZW.

Frankly if your budget requires buying the phone at a meaningful discount, you should probably wait for a month or two. If you want the phone on day one, I'd visit your nearest corporate store and just pay the $199 after rebate. They should have plenty in stock, along with a good mix of accessories. You'll get all the help you need with set up and there won't be any drama if you later need to return or warranty the phone.

5. Reginald VelJohnson

Thanks for the info, that clarifies. I don't NEED to get a discount, but there's no sense leaving anything on the table if I don't have to. As for accessories and training, I don't need any of that. I have plenty of microUSB chargers and I'll be waiting on Seidio for their stock-size extended battery and spring clip case.

If nobody can do anything for me, it looks like I'll be preordering online and sitting on the steps for the FedEx man on the 29th. :)