What kind of music do you listen to?

1. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

As some of you may have seen from the "What Are You Listening To" thread I have a pretty diverse taste in music. I listen to hip-hop, R&B, soul, neo soul, hard rock, metal, alternative rock, grunge, classic rock, trance, techno, classical, and country. Maybe there's a few more I haven't listed but I like to listen to all types of music pretty much.

What kind of music do you guys listen to?

Advertisement
  2. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Guide

I generally stick to R&B, classic rock, alternative rock, grunge, any genre related to electronic (trance, techno, etc..) but also sometimes hip-hop although I must admit new hip-hop is absolutely terrible with very very few exceptions to a few songs/artists.
  3. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Agreed about new hip-hop although there's some exceptions. One guy I've been listening to lately is XV. I like his stuff and he's under the radar. It seems like once rappers hit the mainstream they sell out to the fame and money. I use to like Lil Wayne back in the old days before he exploded with this whole Young Money and rock experimentation crap. Same is going to happen to Drake, don't know why he signed with Young Money. Right now hip-hop actually has some hope compared to the past, lots of young blood. J. Cole, XV, Cudi, and Big Sean are just a few. There's also Jay Electronica, Charles Hamilton, Joell Ortiz, etc. I think you might like an artist called Blu. Check him out.

Listen to the album Below the Heavens by Blu & Exile
    DMajor239 likes this.
  4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I'm a very mainstream kind of person, which isn't bad! I like pop, pop/rock, pop/r&b, basically... anything pop. I also like r&b, rock, foreign music (Korean, French, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Spanish), Asian folksy music, classical music, the absolutely spectacular works from Joe Hisaishi (he has made the soundtracks to Miyazaki movies), and umm... some other genres too.

One thing that I can't stand is autotune. I understand if it is used ONLY as a simple effect or a small correction on a few notes, but when artists use it ALL the time... it is extremely annoying. I can't stand listening to robots. Artists like Ke$ha, T-Pain, Lil' Wayne, and others like them... awful. Something that I really like about country is that autotune hasn't really penetrated as much as pop, especially pop, and artists still have to know how to sing to succeed in that genre. I still don't really like listening to country music though, only a few select artists that have a country + pop feel.
  5. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I'm really into prettymuch every sub-genre of rock and metal. I actually got my first Android product just for music. It's an Archos 5 Internet Tablet 500GB. I got it so I could have all my music with me all the time and run simple last.fm scrobbler in the background. It runs Android 1.6, I think they called that one Donut. It's the perfect mp3 player and great for movies too.
  6. HeatherrSuicide

HeatherrSuicide Active Member

I'll listen to almost anything. Mostly rock and pop, though. I spent tonight at work alternating between SLOT, Dommin, Ke$ha, and Rammstein.
  7. rwZephyr

rwZephyr Well-Known Member

According to last.fm....

I'm into electronic, rock, hip-hop, indie and alternative, including:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down, The White Stripes, Mindless Self Indulgence, Placebo, Tenacious D, Queens of the Stone Age, Barenaked Ladies, The Cure, Lewis Black, Underoath, Alec Holowka, Bill Hicks, Gorillaz, Static-X, ABBA, George Carlin, blink-182, Misfits, The String Quartet, KoЯn, AFI, Aphex Twin, Bloodhound Gang, Johnny Cash, Dane Cook, The Offspring, Jim Gaffigan, The Left Rights, David Cross, Daft Punk, Goldfinger, Mitch Hedberg, Swollen Members, HIM, Avenged Sevenfold, Ozzy Osbourne, Radiohead, Nekromantix, Metallica, The Who, Rancid, Chris Rock, Sublime, White Zombie, Green Day, The Beatles, Weezer, Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins.

Check out my music taste: Skmooch?s Music Profile ? Users at Last.fm
  8. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Guide

We have pretty much the same taste in rock music with some exceptions to the bands listed above.
  9. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I didn't mean all mainstream artists, I just implied the bad ones like you mentioned :p

I myself can't listen to hardcore/true country music.
  10. Nex_1

Nex_1 Well-Known Member

Add me to the list :D

but i think i would add nickelback and t-pain and motorhead and linkin' park and limp bizkit and hilary duff to my own rock collection :p
  11. Emi2010

Emi2010 Member

Im with soFlo i have alot of different types of music in my library. The most i listen to is Hip Hop (New School and old school), and Reggaeton (huge fan). I listen to both English ans spanish music House, techno, dubstep, r&b, rock, pop, just not country though (no offense)
    Music is a hobby of mine i have my own blog site www.realtalkhiphop.net that i started with a friend but we post diff kinds not just hip hop
  12. rwZephyr

rwZephyr Well-Known Member

You gotta keep in mind that some of those bands I haven't listened to in forever, Last.fm has been tracking everything I listen to since '05 and those are just my most played bands, Latley I've been into Deadmau5, QotsA, Jay-Z, White Panda (and other mashups), Some old Eminem, and Gorillaz
  13. Vihzel

Oh I didn't even know about your little comment on mainstream artists until this. lol I was like "What is he talking about?" hehe.

+1 for not being able to listen to hardcore music. I'm assuming you mean like heavy metal, death metal, and such, right? I can't stand people screaming at me in person, so I definitely will not pay to listen to people scream at me with a little tune. lol
  14. chimpy

chimpy Well-Known Member

Electronic Dance Music (Trance, Progressive-House, Ambient)
    Alternative Rock
    Underground Hip-Hop
  15. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Yeah death metal is one and screamo is another lol. I think there's only one semi-screamo song I like but then again I've never really made a conscious effort to listen to the genre. I just don't want someone screaming the entire song.
  16. bunnymud

bunnymud Well-Known Member

Short List:

The Sword
    Electric Wizard
    Pelican
    Baroness
    Torche
    Dethklok
    Sunn 0)))
    Wolves in the Throne Room
    Zola Jesus
    Nice Face
  17. Vihzel

I know... 0 of those artists. lol
  18. koraliuxxx777

koraliuxxx777 New Member

I listen hip hop,R&B,techno and classic.:)
  19. mikie85

mikie85 New Member

I like all kind of music.but specially I like classic.
  20. hopalee

hopalee Well-Known Member

Here are some of my favorites at the moment:

The Airborne Toxic Event
    Amos Lee
    Black Eyed Peas
    Breaking Benjamin
    Bus to Brooklyn
    Erin McCarley
    The Flaming Lips
    Greg Laswell
    Hinder
    Imogen Heap
    Incubus
    Ingrid Michaelson
    Iron & Wine
    James Morrison
    Jason Mraz
    John Mayer
    Joshua Radin
    Kings of Leon
    Lady Gaga
    Landon Pigg
    Loudon Wainwright III
    Maroon 5
    The Moody Blues
    Muse
    Needtobreathe
    Radiohead
    Ray LaMontagne
    Rolling Stones
    Safetysuit
    Secondhand Serenade
    Seether
    The Shins
    Stone Sour
    Stone Temple Pilots
    The Strokes
    System of a Down
    Theory of a Dead Man
    Three Days Grace
    Tool
    Wilco
  21. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Rap - Old School, Gangsta (NWA, Gheto Boyz), and some more recent stuff (Outkast, Game, E-40)

Alt Rock/Country - Killers, Girl Talk, Jack Johnson, Jenny Lewis (LOVE HER), Postal Service, MGMT, Ryan Adams

Industrial - NIN, How to Destroy Angels (new Reznor project), Nitzer Ebb, Ministry, Consolidated, VNV Nation

Synth - Depeche Mode (favorite band), Iris, Mesh, Cut/Copy

Metal (ish) - Metallica (old), Tool, Anthrax, DRI

Punk - Sex Pistols, Guttermouth, Dead Kennedys

Raggae - Bob Marley, Damien Marley, Toots and the Maytals, Local bands (mostly Roots Raggae)

Musicals (yep, I said it) - Mostly Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff, IE Phantom, Evita, etc.

80's + Early 90's Alt - Pretty much all of it...The Smiths, The Cure, OMD, Erasure, Joy Division, etc.

Country - Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, David Allan Coe, Johnny Cash

I could go on and on, but that cover's it for now...hah...
  22. ghdfans2010

ghdfans2010 New Member

popular music!
  23. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I like most music, as long as it's not the X Factor/Justin Bieber style pop.

My Last.fm
  24. Diesektor

Diesektor Well-Known Member

Mostly metal/hard rock. Killswitch Engage and Tool are quite possibly the best bands around right now. But I listen to all different kinds except for hip hop/rap, some of the older stuff was good but the new crap is just horrible. I could care less how many houses, cars and gold chains these douches have and that seems to be all they sing about.

Anyways, some examples: NIN, old Manson, Metallica(Black albumn and back), Tori Amos, Amon Amarth, As I Lay Dying, old country(when it was still country), System, Lady Gaga, Trance/House techno, Five Finger Death Punch, Trivium, Foo Fighters, Black Tide, H.I.M. and many many more.