• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What made you choose Eris over Droid?

I think full keyboards are for teenage girls.

The Eris is actually almost the SAME SIZE as the Droid height and width wise, if you don't consider the rounded edges. The depth is helped by not having the crappy keyboard.

A HTC Hero user converted me, and this was basically a Hero.

But I'll make a top 3 reasons...

Sense UI.

Physical call/end buttons.

Feeling like a solid phone, and not a toy (like the Droid does).

Upvote 0
I started with what I thought would be the "better" phone... the Droid. I knew I wanted the faster processor, more brilliant and larger screen, so I gave it a try. At first I hated the keyboard. I did get used to the actual keys being so flat, but the fact that the whole keyboard is off center was very frustrating and hard to get over. And with swype, well... who needs a real keyboard? It boiled down to the weight of the phone for me though. I figured once I put a case on it that it would just way me down. I traded it for the eris and couldn't be happier :D! I did need to upgrade to a 16gb c6 microsd card and get the seidio 1750mhz battery, but now it is everything I want and need. I will be happy to stick with this phone until I'm eligable for NE2!

Upvote 0
I went into the Verizon store with every intention of buying the Droid the week of it's release. As soon as I picked it up it just felt like a brick that would not fit in my pocket

+1, On Nov 7, I went to verizon to upgrade, I didn't even know about the Eris. After about an hour in the store the saleslady mentioned the Eris and said it was "Exactly the same as the Droid, with a smaller screen". Thar statement, The physical call/end buttons, and the price ($0) swayed my decision. I didn't find out their differences until I found this forum. After about a week, I learned how to use it and I love my Eris. ....

however, I will probably upgrade to the Iphone if its ever offered on vzw.

Upvote 0
I played with both the Eris and Droid at the VZW store; what I didn't like about the Driod was it was too thick with the keyboard, the operating system seemed sluggish compared to the Eris (moving to screen to screen was slower on the Driod), the Droid didn't feel good in my hands and it looked ugly sitting next to the Eris. Price wasn't really an option when I compared the two, i just wasn't impressed with the Droid at all. The Eris won me over, it was sleek, felt good in my hands and the Sense interface was a sweet addition.

After having the Eris for 3 weeks, I very happy about my decision and will be even more happy when 2.1 update comes out.

Upvote 0
For me it was personal experience. HTC has always been good and all the Motorola phones I had were junk. I am still waiting to see a big issue with moto droid by the end of this year. Be glad you got eris if you did.

I got the Eris because it didn't have a physical keyboard, its a lot smaller, and because of the price.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

For several years I have been a "die hard" motorola buyer. I have always been happy with the quality of the moto products. I was leaning very much towards the droid, but....
The Eris is a better size for my needs, the price was right, and the Sense UI was just "easier" to me.
While I have only just started with my Eris, I have been thrilled! Battery life worries me a little, but, I have been reading some of the tips on the forum for optimizing battery life, so I think it will all be good.

I had the droid and hated it. I tried the HTC Touch Pro 2....it was pretty nice but didn't love win mo. I didn't want to go back to Blackberry, so I thought I'd try Eris. Right away I was happy. Of course now I am obsessed, but that's another story.

Looks and price were the deciding factors. If price had been the same I think I still would have went eris. The eris just looks better to me and I like that it doesn't have a physical keyboard.

I wanted a smart phone.. hate apple so it was one of the droids or storm2. Didn't like the price on the Droid or the storm. So the Eris it was. Besides I've used keyboards and wanted to try something with out.

Plus when I picked up the Droid it was heavy, didn't feel like having a brick in my pocket.

For it was Sense, size, brand loyalty ( I think HTC makes the best smartphones in the biz) and the fact that at the time it was the only Android phone to support multi-touch "out of the box" without hackery.

When I first heard about Android, I got excited about the prospect of an open platform on Verizon. However, I never owned a smart phone or a touch phone because I hated how big phones had become.

When I finally saw the Droid, I was so disappointed. It's so fookin' ugly! I told everyone how sad I was and most disagreed with me. After playing with a friend's Droid, I realized I loved the software, so I went to check out the store and found the Eris to be exactly the size and design I wanted. I knew the software wasn't the same, but I honestly thought the 2.0 update would be out within a few weeks. Had I known back in November that I would still be waiting on the eve of march. I probably would have settled for the Droid or just waited and remained happy with my Nokia Twist.

I hate it when people refer to the Eris as a budget android phone. The cheaper price had nothing to do with my decision to get it over the Droid, okay!? The Tattoo is a budget android phone.

The droid was way too huge and ugly. The interface wasn't fun, and I am a huge fan of widgets, so sense was a must. The Eris is light, has a great shape, and was a massive upgrade from my BB storm, which for some reason didn't seem all that different from the Droid (Obviously I see the difference, but as far as size and UI are concerned... yuck). Anyway, this is the only phone that I have ever used that I would actually say either compares to or surpasses the iPhone (Believe me... I am a huge Apple fanboy, and even though I have never owned an iPhone, before the Eris I knew it was miles ahead of any smartphone). Anyway... this is quite a ramblepost, so I'll end it by saying that the Eris is elegant, fast (for the most part) and has the most intuitive interface I have ever seen. Thanks HTC :D.

Sense UI.

I think full keyboards are for teenage girls.

The Eris is actually almost the SAME SIZE as the Droid height and width wise, if you don't consider the rounded edges. The depth is helped by not having the crappy keyboard.

A HTC Hero user converted me, and this was basically a Hero.

But I'll make a top 3 reasons...

Sense UI.

Physical call/end buttons.

Feeling like a solid phone, and not a toy (like the Droid does).

I started with what I thought would be the "better" phone... the Droid. I knew I wanted the faster processor, more brilliant and larger screen, so I gave it a try. At first I hated the keyboard. I did get used to the actual keys being so flat, but the fact that the whole keyboard is off center was very frustrating and hard to get over. And with swype, well... who needs a real keyboard? It boiled down to the weight of the phone for me though. I figured once I put a case on it that it would just way me down. I traded it for the eris and couldn't be happier :D! I did need to upgrade to a 16gb c6 microsd card and get the seidio 1750mhz battery, but now it is everything I want and need. I will be happy to stick with this phone until I'm eligable for NE2!

The Eris felt better in my hand and fit better in my pocket. My fingers couldn't tell one key from another on the Droid, so the kb was excess baggage. Also, I worked for MOT in a previous life and still suspicious about their phone quality.

Smaller size and I have never had any luck with motorola phones

hands down it was because of sense. i liked the smaller form factor better too and it just looked way better than the droid.

The Eris has great industrial design, the Droid has lousy industrial design. And that's enough!

Ummm Ditto

Feeling lazy today.:D

Upvote 0
Personal reason. On my mother's deathbed, she pulled me close and whispered, "Eris..." This was a few years, so I didn't know what to make of it. It puzzled me, perplexed me. I often woke up in a sweat, screaming, "Eris!?!" So I had to buy one, or else I would have been haunted for the remainder of my days.

Actually, now that I think about it, she might have said "Eric."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones