• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What made you choose Eris over Droid?

I got both and tried them each out for about 2 weeks...my thoughts:

DROID had a very klunky feel, hard edges and heavy. ERIS was smooth, realtively light, and just feels really good in your hand. Also ERIS is smaller and I don't need the physical keyboard. I can type faster on a BB, but for all the features of a bigger screen and small form factor I don't care. My ONLY complaint about the ERIS is speed. the DROID is MUCH faster....my eris is pretty slow. I can be patient for most of the functions, but it literally takes 4-5 seconds to start a call when I hit the contact icon in an HTC widget. That is painful!

Upvote 0
In the beginning, it was price. I was able to get the Eris for $10, while the Droid was $199 at the time. Since then, I've looked/asked around and the pros keep stacking up for the Eris. I even have a coworker who stopped by my desk, heard my "Droid" notification for alerts, and asked if I had a Droid. I pulled out the Eris and she was immediately pulled in. She began to tell me that she has a Droid and is having a terrible time with it. It's clunky, the physical keyboard is practically worthless, lack of hard buttons (without using the keyboard) to simply end a call, etc.

Upvote 0
The droid is a big gooney brick. The key board is god awful and I just don't like the overall look of it. Plus, HTC just seemed like a way more reliable and creative company than motorola.. so here I am with an Eris loving every second of it!

Yeah, I always thought they had the promotion backward; the HTC Eris should have been the bought phone to allow the free rickety-crap Motorola so you'd have something to give away.

Upvote 0
I went in to VW to get my daughters nv2 fixed, while we were waiting I started playing with the BB Curve2, then moved to the Moto Droid, then I saw the Eris and NEVER went back to the previous two.
I didn't like the keyboard on the Droid, didn't like the clunky feel. I liked the processor and the screen is very nice, but not enough to make me want one. I run "Home" with very few apps and only two widgets......I have no complaints about speed at all. It's as fast as, or faster, than my dual laptop. I really don't care too much about 2.1 but I really want root to be able to remove all the crap. I use my app drawer quite a bit instead of icons and would love to have it cleaned up.
The eris is the perfect size IMO.

Upvote 0
i love full key boards, if there is a phone avail when i reup with a full kb, i would get it.

i loved my bb 8703e, real kb's rock

I agree about the real keyboard. I LOVED the keyboard and physical layout of the HTC Touch Pro 2. I also liked HTC's Touch Flo 3d - best People/contacts app ever. If HTC made a smart phone with he same slide out keyboard as the TP2, android, and a good (don't know technical term) touch screen like Eris I would buy it in a flash for a premium price.

Upvote 0
I bought the Eris because this discussion board is much better than the Droid board and if I didn't have an Eris I wouldn't have any reason to come here.

That and waiting for 2.1 is just like waiting for Christmas to arrive when you were a kid. :D Boy, if it turns out to be 2.0 it's going to be like getting underwear.

I sure hope I don't get P2XD (Post 2.X Depression) ;)

Upvote 0
not sure at this point. it WAS for the form factor. and Sense is nice. but as a phone it's been pretty terrible for me. tricky making and ending calls. poor phone application. signal is iffy. lots of breakups and drops. just does crazy stuff all the time. sound on my end when a call actually goes through is great, but seems pretty bad on the other end. i've tested it myself. might be my handset. i'm eventually going to take it in. i just hate getting refurbs. but if the phone part of it works better i guess i'd ultimately be happy.

Upvote 0
I'm loving my Eris. Only had it for one day and it amazes me how much it can do!

I had no intentions on ever getting a smartphone. I had an LG Voyager which was decent. I was in the "I dont need a computer-phone" camp for the longest time and no way did I want to pay extra for the data plan. Besides, I thought, it's not like the phone really does any cool stuff besides some email and the internet...

Hoo-eee, right now it feels like when I finally got a DVR! I've been missing so MUCH! Luckily(?) I lost my voyager during a vacation which gave me the reason to check out the new phones.

I knew I never wanted a Droid (butt ugly and huge) but I was apprehensive about the Eris, since it had no physical keyboard. It was between the Eris and I think an LG Env Touch but my husband seemed secretly really into the Eris (despite all the "get what you want" comments, haha) so I gulped and chose the Eris.

I'm not (planning on) getting a bazillion apps, even though I have about 8 tabs in my browser with various google results based on the "favorite app" thread...so I hope the processor speed wont affect me too much. That was another worry about the Eris.

Overall, really glad I decided to try a smartphone!

Upvote 0
cause it takes such awesome pictures

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

i officially hate the snow and Del DOT

Upvote 0
I had originally purchased the Droid, but found that I was constantly brushing up against the Home button and taking me out of whatever I was doing. I absolutely hated the flat keyboard, the size and the weight of the Droid.

I took the Droid back and switched it for the Eris and have not looked back since. It runs all of the applications I want, it feels right in my hand, slips into a pocket easily and I really like the five screens on the front end, sometimes I wish there were seven.

Upvote 0
I had originally purchased the Droid, but found that I was constantly brushing up against the Home button and taking me out of whatever I was doing. I absolutely hated the flat keyboard, the size and the weight of the Droid.

I took the Droid back and switched it for the Eris and have not looked back since. It runs all of the applications I want, it feels right in my hand, slips into a pocket easily and I really like the five screens on the front end, sometimes I wish there were seven.

I hope that there's seven! Count again?

HTC > Motorola at making Android phones.

Upvote 0
I got a Droid for work and got my wife the Eris for free. The form factor is better for her, she doesn't need a hard core phone, and I thought it would compliment my Android phone for her to be on the same OS. We can help each other and do stuff together.

The Eris is too laggy for me, but the design is better. It makes me want to get a NExus one when it comes to Verizon. I probably will.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones