• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What mail app to use

dave1552

Lurker
Jun 5, 2012
I use the watchdog app to see what apps are taking too much of my resources. It is great by the way. Just about all of my alarms are due to my Gmail app. My question is ... would it make sense to delete the Gmail app and put Gmail on my stock email app that came with the unit which is an Acer a500. Anyone done this and has it improved performance.

I use the watchdog app to see what apps are taking too much of my resources. It is great by the way. Just about all of my alarms are due to my Gmail app. My question is ... would it make sense to delete the Gmail app and put Gmail on my stock email app that came with the unit which is an Acer a500. Anyone done this and has it improved performance.
It seems possible that you have a very high volume of Gmail sync traffic, or you have a large number of messages stored. If either of these are true, that may be where you have to look. There may not be any email app that would handle that any better. It can't hurt to try some other email clients though as you suggest.

One other thing to try might be turning off sync for gmail. That way you only download when you are ready to read messages. When sync is off, the email only downloads when you open the app, and not in the background. If you have a large quantity of messages stored, the app could be spending a lot of time working around all that data whenever sync operations are going on. Turning sync off then reduces the background load by moving it to the foreground where you have more direct control over it. The foreground load will also likely be lower overall than the background load by eliminating the overhead of many incremental updates.

If on the other hand, you prefer the background load to the foreground load, then that is a valid choice also, but with such a choice there are trade offs in resource usage.

Most of the points I make above are based on my guess that you have a significant gmail message load. If not, then I would next look for network issues that may be intermittently hanging the Gmail app.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones