What model is my phone?

1. vic2pc

vic2pc Member

Hi all, I'm new here and have a couple of questions about my phone.

The first is about the model of my phone. I bought a Samsung Galaxy 5 GT-I5503T recently, but upgraded its firmware to Froyo 2.2 without issue. But now, the phone reports itself to be a GT-I5500L model, which I guess is because that's the firmware I used. Even the Android Market tells me I have a GT-I5500L phone. So, is that what I should consider my phone to actually be? It's what I've put in my profile here. :) And will it cause any issues later down the track?

Second question: I will be buying another exact same phone in a month or two (for my partner). I've installed some apps from the Android Market on this one, but don't want to go to all the hassle of downloading and installing them again later. So, is the APK of the installed files available on my phone somewhere (perhaps hidden?) so I can just copy them to the other phone and install them from there? I know it can be done because I've download APKs from other sites already. But I want to basically create my own library of APK files of what I like, just as did with SIS files for my old Nokia phone.

Okay, one more question. :) This phone seems to have a bad battery life. I can go from fully charged to flat in about a day's use, which is low to me (compared to my old Nokia). Internet, GPS and wi-fi are usually off, so it's not those causing the problem, and no apps are running in the background (I check with Task Manager). I've seen recommendations to use Juice Defender, but how will that solve my problem? I don't get the concept of it.

Thanks for reading!

Advertisement
    :
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Well, Androids do have worse battery life than Nokia's in general, especially if you have been using an s40 before (those things even make Nokia Symbians bite the dust in terms of battery life), so I dont think the battery life is much of an issue.

Mostly, Juice defender has CPU scaling. Much like power saver mode on PC. On my laptop for example, I have a 2.5Ghz i5 processor. However when I set it to power saver, Windows puts a 1.4Ghz cap to my processing power. The slower your processor, the better your battery life (which is why Nokia's in general have great battery life. They dont put overkill chipsets). Juice defender also does that to your phone, among other things.
  3. You would need to be rooted.
  4. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

From my meager knowledge L and T versions are South American phone versions .Usually used by Brazil and Argentina .Both versions use the same baseband hence technically you can say they are clones .They have no effect on uusage (confirmed )

You can use ES file manager or File Expert(personal preference) to backup apps(apk files ) without rooting .
    Gmash likes this.
  5. vic2pc

vic2pc Member

I've noticed that my phone's charge only lasts one day on standby, but the website that I bought it from states 521 hours in standby (Samsung i5503 Galaxy 5 | MobiCity). This is with all networks disabled, no gps, screen brightness set to low, no use at all. Do I have a dud battery, or a dud phone?

BTW, is "Cell Standby" supposed to be a high or low number after a full charge? My phone was fully charged and now an hour later, "Cell Standby" is showing 72%. Other posts in these forums are like only 8% or so. What's normal?
  6. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Well-Known Member

Sounds like you live in a poor service area. If you only have one or two bars and no 3g you will eat battery life.
  7. vic2pc

vic2pc Member

No, I have 4 bars and use 3G occasionally. And my Nokia X6's battery can last 2 or 3 days here.
  8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Battery usage stats are a bit skewed if you look at them right after charging. This is because battery usage reported is usage since the charge. Cell standby could easily use 72% and be "normal" if not much else other than cell standby has used the battery since charging. The number will likely drop throughout the day as other apps and services use more of the battery. It's really impossible to say what is or isn't normal without more details. How soon after charging did you check the battery info screen?
  9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Battery quote times from manufacturers never reflect real life usage. Things like temperature of the area and stuff like that affect battery. Also, the more apps you have installed and running may have effects
  10. vic2pc

vic2pc Member

I finally get good battery life with my phone: just turn airplane mode on, then off again. Simple as that! Now I get DAYS of life, even with web surfing, game playing, phone calls. Proof is in the photo below. That's 108 hours (4.5 days!) between charging. Woohoo!

[​IMG]
  11. vic2pc

vic2pc Member

12. vic2pc

vic2pc Member

I've installed File Expert, but where are the installed APK files located so I can copy them to the SD card for reinstallation after a hard reset? Thanks.
  13. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

ummm Go to the app tab (Four tabs Local/Network/Favorites/App)
    Tick the app
    In the lower bar press backup (three button s Backup/uninstall/select all). :)
    vic2pc likes this.
  14. vic2pc

vic2pc Member

That's the stuff. Thanks! :)