What new advancements in the next year will phones after the EVO have?

Last Updated:

1. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is what I came up with. What do you think?

1. Faster processor
    2. Discrete 3d graphics
    3. Higher res screen
    4. HDTV tuner

Advertisement
  2. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the move will be toward faster/multicore processors and improved video processing like you see in Tegra. Video acceleration will allow for much faster transitions and performance the way it did on the desktop with the move to GPU desktop compositing.

My main wish however is battery life. If they can improve significantly on battery tech to allow even 2 days instead of 1 on these big touchscreen devices it will be a huge boon to the industry and users.

3. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I agree with you neodorian. Battery would be the best advancement for smartphone users (and Hybrid users as well).

On another note, I would love to see a slide out physical keyboard that is so thin, that it won't affect the profile of the phone.

4. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Screw the current battery, I say put in a nuclear reactor in there and put every one else to shame. :D

But seriously, everything else is either getting smaller (components), bigger (screens) but the battery. They really need to come up with a better longer lasting battery.

TS out (putting on a nuclear reactor suit)

5. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

I bet there is going to be a HUGE push towards face-to-face video calling, geo-tracking, etc...

6. gmcdaniel

gmcdaniel Active Member

My bet is on battery life, faster processors, more memory, higher mp cameras, and higher res screens. Not necessarily in that order. Battery life will probably be the last thing improved. The EVO pretty much sets the bar for goodies on a phone. Much more then what this thing has would be just wasted junk causing the phones to become bigger and heavier, which is totally against what a mobile phone is supposed to be.

7. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

digital wallet is what should be the next big thing... for some reason, we have yet to adopt this here in north america... the japanese have been using this feature for years on their "keitais".... for anything from groceries to buying a pop from a vending machine...

8. gmcdaniel

gmcdaniel Active Member

We won't get DW because it's a government scheme to keep us behind the Japanese. LOL

9. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

This is the one thing that really sticks out to me....if that front camera really ends up being a hit on the EVO, and succeeds in have quality face to face video calling....it is going to force alot of companies to rethink how they design their phones. It will be a game changer.

Apple, RIM, and the like are going to have to do re-designs to have the camera on the front, it is basically the next new "IT" for smart phones.

More and more, I think HTC and Sprint are about to hit it BIG with the EVO.

10. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more, but i think it is a limitation to 3g i think that is why it is on the first 4g phone in america, it is also a way to say "hey look what 4g can do!"

i reallly hope it becomes popular cause it would just be so cool to use, facial expression go a long way when involved in things like sarcasm and sorrow and grief and happiness, being able to see that just brings another element to long distant communication, how cool

11. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

I think the EVO will urge future "super" phones to have:

1. hotspot capability
    2. wireless N
    3. both wimax and LTE compatibility (connects to which ever is available)
    4. I agree with Original post about HDMI tuner
    5. DVR capability

6. nanowire battery (see here: Nanowire battery can hold 10 times the charge of existing lithium-ion battery)

7. flexible/indestructible/bacteria resistant/smudge free laser LED screen

8. USB 3.0 of course

9. bunch of other advancements in technology you see from engadget built in

Slacker4Life and billsmed like this.
  12. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

That nanowire battery is impressive, but that was back in 2007. I wonder whats the status of the technology in 2010.

Ts out

13. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

14. MindTrainer

MindTrainer Active Member

As great as the EVO 4G appears to be there is in fact room for improvements. Here is where I believe phones like this will inevitably go in the future:

We need cradles that hold the phone while at the office and will act as automatic wireless charging/tethering devises. While on the cradle a light will illuminate verifying the enabling of our blue tooth keyboard and mouse to control the phone. At the same time the screen is ported to the full size monitor into a window that can be minimized or sized.

When this window is active the mouse and keyboard control the phone. When the window is deactivated (by clicking another window or minimizing), the keyboard and mouse control the computer.

If the phone rings this window automatically restores itself and the phone is answered or ignored by a simple mouse click. Audio is automatically ported to our PC Speakers and the microphone on the phone is utilized to enable the conversation. Unless of course you pick up the phone allowing for private normal handset usage.

In this manner all the apps on the phone should work on the PC. In other words the PC has the ability to emulate the Operating System of the phone. This would also require Android to allow all its screens to be viewed in Landscape mode, as most of our Monitors are wider rather then taller.

By having a series of cradles (at work, at the home office and at our bedside) one of our biggest issues of battery life is addressed since the phones are constantly being charged whenever they are not en-rout to our next destination.

To sum up: Our phones need to integrate with our computer systems fully and easily.

One last note regarding cables and devises: All devises should have the cable sockets recessed 1/8” and have funnel openings larger then the cable end. Thus easily guiding the cables home. Of course I can’t wait till we do away with these dam cables altogether.

twospirits and Jack10 like this.
  15. erikivy

erikivy Well-Known Member

MindTrainer, that sounds like a dream setup to me. Where do I sign? :)

16. senormatt

senormatt Well-Known Member

I still don't see a phone replacing a set top box - it's just too awkward and not stream-lined.

17. Norril

Norril Well-Known Member

twospirits likes this.
  18. MindTrainer

MindTrainer Active Member

I just thought of a new app that would be nice to have on our phones. I call it Auto Response Initiative.

Basically when ever we get a party on the line that just babbles on and on…..

We trigger this baby and as soon as there is a lull in the babble it auto-responds with a random reply of yea, or aha, or ok. We can make the list self record able and add as many words as we want.

Now with the EVO on 4G we can be browsing the net and giving our Forums undivided attention.

Then as soon as the caller asks “are you there?” it always replies “Yea I’m here” and gives us a beep notification (maybe it’s time for a few minutes of participatory dialog).

We can even hold contests to see who can keep their callers babbling the longest time on Auto Response. Of course that would require that we build in a timer, but that wouldn’t be too hard. :D

Covert_Death and Norril like this.
  19. Covert_Death

lolololol i would have to do this with my grandfather.... i'm prettty sure i'd nail the 2 hour mark

20. Norril

Norril Well-Known Member

21. Jack10

Jack10 Well-Known Member

1.5Ghz HTC HD3? :D

Multi-core processors, following in line with the development of laptops me thinks

22. timmertc

timmertc Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see what phone has the 1.5 GHz processor. I hear it will support 1080p video (as opposed to the 720p of the EVO). It's dual-core too. But, rather than say HD3, I'll say EVO 2.

(or maybe the HD3 will have 1.5, and the EVO 2 will have 1.8, or better...)

23. Covert_Death

i think we'll need some battery break throughs before we start seeing those bad boys in cell phones, 1.5Ghz, dual-core or not, is still alot of power, and recording 1080p is gonna be a power drainer too... hoping the nano-wire shit comes through lol

24. Jack10

Jack10 Well-Known Member

HD3 details were leaked as 1.5Ghz and consumes same and even less power than today's processors due to the decreased size of the cores.

25. Covert_Death

i could totaly see that while idleing but when running full blast and using apps i think it'd use more power... i guess it just depends on user usage