what!? no silent mode in new ota

Last Updated: 2011-03-25 17:53:58
  1. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member

just got the new ota this morning i i notice the volume for the ringer only goes down to viberate at the lowest. silent used to be below viberate. anyone else notcice this? looks like we have no silent now.

Advertisement
  2. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

You have to change it in the settings. You can have vibrate or silent. If you want both you have to get a widget. I use the one from curvefish.
  3. aaronmach1

4. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

If you hold down the power button, there is an option for silent mode. -droidosis-
  5. aaronmach1

o ya i forgot about this one. i have the widget now it actually works nice unless i accidently touch it sometimes.
  6. junkykid

junkykid Member

Yeah I can't really figure out how to get my vibrate to work... i turn it all the way down. I'm just wondering what settings need to be on in the sound settings for this to work, and I'm not concerned if it causes me to have no silent mode. It's just annoying that it won't give a sound when i get a text.

Should Silent mode be checked? And should Vibrate be set to Always, Never, Only in Silent mode, or Only when not in Silent mode? Whatever causes vibrate for texts and no loud ring is fine by me.
  7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

how do you know this is anything different than the vibrate mode? turning your volume all the way down gives the vibrate and the icon. this method you mention results in the same icon. so, you have confirmed they work differently despite showing the same icon?
  8. BlueIce5249

Yeah that way just gives you the same results.

The only way to get total silent mode is by going to menu>settings>sound>vibrate>never or only when not in silent mode

Or get a widget.
  9. Lock-N-Load

OR

I bet some of the available ROMs have this addressed if your rooted
  10. junkykid

junkykid Member

2.2 changes your messaging settings...gotta go to Messaging -> Settings -> Vibrate -> Always. For some reason they thought it would be funny to default it to never.
  11. Lock-N-Load

but I dont want my messages to "always vibrate" - plus, this is less about that then it is the fact we use to be able to select from volume levels + silent + vibrate with the volume switch on the side of the phone and now we can only do volume levels + vibrate.. they dropped the silent from that option
  12. junkykid

junkykid Member

Yeah that's the best I can get...either way it is really annoying. It was the simplest thing possible to allow the volume rocker to control sound on, vibrate, and silent. I don't see what made them think it would be easier or make more sense to get rid of that.
    cgh1 likes this.
  13. BlueIce5249

I'm rooted and have tried a few different ROMs and none have addressed this yet. Honestly it's just easier to use a widget like the one from Curvefish.
  14. Lock-N-Load

shocking that a widget can trigger the true "silent" (no vibrate) mode and yet custom ROMs - with all of their hundreds of custom settings - cannot. wowsers. I thought I saw it once in one of Pete's?
  15. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

Get a widget to do it for you, this is the best one: Ring Toggle. Search for "ring toggle" in the market. Very simple app, press it, it comes up with a menu of sound choices, select what you want (Vibrate, Ring & Vibrate, Vibrate Only, or Silent) and it sets it and closes itself. -droidosis-
  16. muab

muab Well-Known Member

I DO think it is dumb that we need an App (and multiple touches) to do what the phone did natively up until 2.2...very dumb.
    But in addition to the widget you mention, as I said in another thread on this topic, check out flip to vibrate or something like that in market. That way just as fast and slick as the rocker switch.

you just flip the phone over and it goes to silent or vibrate depending upon which App (or which setting??) it is on.

Later
  17. erika61489

erika61489 Active Member

I know I'm 7 months late to the party, but I just got the update and I downloaded 'ringer toggle widget' which puts it on ringer, vibrate, and silent. It seems to work
  18. milellie111

milellie111 Well-Known Member

You being late and bumping this thread is what allowed me to find this helpful information. Otherwise. I would still be scratching my head over the no silent option. Thanks!