• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What on-screen keyboard are you using?

premiump

Nov 15, 2009
UK
With not buying the keyboard dock (hen's teeth in the UK), I have spent the last week or so with the ASUS stock on-screen keyboard. Whilst it was fine to use whilst propped up, I found it sucked when holding my TF101 two-handed.

I started looking for an alternative, preferably something I could type with using my thumbs ...

Enter stage right: Thumb Keyboard.

Its not free, but it is cheap. I really like it.

Any others out there worth looking at?

Pete :cool:

With not buying the keyboard dock (hen's teeth in the UK), I have spent the last week or so with the ASUS stock on-screen keyboard. Whilst it was fine to use whilst propped up, I found it sucked when holding my TF101 two-handed.

I started looking for an alternative, preferably something I could type with using my thumbs ...

Enter stage right: Thumb Keyboard.

Its not free, but it is cheap. I really like it.

Any others out there worth looking at?

Pete :cool:

I'm using that too. It's ok....

Upvote 0
You can actually use just about any other keyboard even though you have the dock. That compatibility message is annoying but I've not seen any issues with it. I have the dock, but when in non-docked, tablet only mode, I use the paid version of the Gingerbread keyboard so I can adjust the key and gap sizes. Works well.

I have tried both the Asus and stock Honeycomb, plus a couple of third-party apps. I like the Honeycomb best, but switched back to the Asus today for compatability with my keyboard dock (just arrived).

Upvote 0
Thanks to this thread I just switched from stock to Swype 3.25 beta.
Lovin' it!

I hated leaving Swype only on my Droid X. And I REALLY hated that the stock KB would faux Swype sometimes and not others. Frustrating!

I'm happy!

+1, except that I started out using stock, used FlexT9 for awhile (but got spooked by their privacy policy) then switched to the thumbs keyboard, then Swype. After the licensing issues, Swype became unuseable for me, so I uninstalled it and switched to the SlideIt keyboard, which I liked, just not as well as Swype. When Swype 3.25 was released, I signed up for the beta program again and now I am loving Swype. On my Droid Incredible, I prefer Swiftkey X, but on my Transformer, I only want Swype.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones