• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What operating system are you using?

What operating system do you use at home?

• Linux/Unix

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • Windows

Votes: 42 47.2%
  • OS X/Mac

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Combination (specify)

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
iv'e got a few different systems on the go my self most of which are dual booters as such

1. desktop running, xp pro 32 bit / ubuntu 10.4 dual boot
2. desktop running ubuntu 10.4 ( this is my media machine with x2 1tb hdd's full of mp3's )
3. this laptop running 7 ultimate 32 bit / backtrack 4 dual boot
4. another laptop running ubuntu 10.4 / backtrack 4 dual boot

Upvote 0
Main Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
Backup Laptop - Xubuntu 10.04
Wife Laptop - Ubuntu 10.04
Main Desktop - Ubuntu 10.04
Wife Desktop - Ubuntu 10.04
Media Center 1&2 (XBMC) - Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 9.04
Fileserver - Ubuntu 9.10
Firewall - SmoothWall 3.0
Work Desktop - Ubuntu 10.04
Studio DAW - Windows XP (forced to due to the Line 6 equipment)

Upvote 0
Wow, this thread has loads of people using Linux - I'm very impressed (Linux is definitely for the discerning user, Windows is for the masses ;)). Some are even brave enough to stick with Windows Vista...

Here's what I use:

At work we got Windows Server 2003 on my development machine, plus various flavours of Windows on VM's scattered around.

At home I use
- CentOS on my email/web/domain server
- Fedora 13 on my desktop machine, my mini notebook and my wife's mini notebook
- Fedora 12 on the media centre

I have some Windows XP partitions on the desktops too, but they never get used.

Upvote 0
I've been surprised by the number of Linux users too. Most "studies" I've seen put the number of Linux users in the <5% range, but here it is clearly well north of 30%.

It's nice to see Linux being so popular for once, but then again you have to realize that only a certain kind of person comes to an mobile OS forum, then a small percentage of that group leave their specific phone portion to talk about Computer Os's. So that small percentage of an already small group has a higher chance of knowing what Linux is and actually wanting to use any kind of Nix distro.

Upvote 0
Windows 7 :) This OS is really solid and visually very pleasing. My favorite feature: Making pages instantly become half the screen. It's very helpful for school.
For sure, since I do all my school online, it really helps trying to read a eBook and take notes.

I run Windows 7, I use VMware to run Mac OSx Snow Leopard, Ubutnu and Windows XP.

Upvote 0
I run Snow Leopard on my I mac; XP on an older Dell 700m, and Linux Mint on my Netbook. I keep XP on the 700m only because I occasionally need to access something that only XP windows does. As you can imagine, this computer collects ever increasing amounts of dust, so I plan on reviving it by upgrading some hardware and dual booting some linux distro. Not sure which one it will be yet, but I would not be against trying something other than mint, just for variety's sake. I don't plan on installing any netbook or cloud specific distros though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones