• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What phone did you have before the G1?

SE P910i (broke it), Nokia 8800 (loved the retro-mettalic look, lost it), SE K790i (gave it to a friend, decent phone), Nokia 3230 (someone took it out of my pocket, dear god pin that man up against the wall and spank him with a cactus.. Amen), now a Motorola phone C168 (found it lying around at home, dont want to buy one yet, waiting for the G1).... that's the last year or two...
Lets hope i get the G1 sometime soon... i hate this Motorola phone

Sid

Upvote 0
I hope they keep both on some of the future models ...

I definitely agree with this -- variety and choice are the best path.

I hope that, over time, we see Android in MANY flavors:

1) side-slide physical qwerty keyboard (Dream, Rhodium 100, etc.)
2) keyboardless candybar (Magic)
3) half-face qwerty keyboard (not sure about the HTC name, but like the T-Mobile Dash)
4) portfolio flip micro-laptop (like the Nokia E90) (there's a German linux-phone maker that has a model like this, and has recently started talking about putting Android on their phone)
5) swivel screen convertible tablet micro-laptop (HTC Universal)
6) riser candybar with qwerty or true-type keyboard (like the Palm Pre, or a variation of the T-Mobile Shadow)
7) riser candybar with 12-key (like the Nokia N95)
8) possibly a standard candybar with 12-key
9) maybe a standard flip with 12-key
10) maybe a standard flip with true-type or qwerty (like the Blackberry flip)
11) larger-than-phone devices, like the HTC Advantage

Personally, I'd LOVE to see an HTC Rhodium 100 based Android phone, a Nokia E90 type Android phone, or an HTC Universal type Android phone. I could even go for an "HTC Advantage" type device, but would greatly prefer it to be a swivel screen design -- like a large and modernized HTC Universal.

Imagine an HTC Universal with an HTC Advantage like 5" screen, widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio that is at least 800x480, 5 row keyboard (like the Dream), dpad and android buttons on the face, Quadband GSM, Quadband WCDMA (Euro, Asian, AT&T, T-Mo-USA), Wifi, 1 or 2 full size SDHC card slots, one or two micro-USB Host/OTG ports, a mini-USB client port, 3.5mm headset, Apple micro-Display port (for TV, VGA, DVI, HDMI based upon adapters), A TON OF BATTERY LIFE, more RAM, more internal Flash storage, much better camera with flash, maybe a chat cam, FM radio, maybe a TV tuner of some flavor, maybe dual SIM cards, running a version of Android that has improved GMail support ("send as", edit/add filters, edit labels, view original message, super-stars), improved Google Reader (add/edit labels/tags, subscription manipulation, use keyboard shortcuts when a physical keyboard is present), improved Google Docs (integrated with Gmail, read/write), improved IM (non-GoogleTalk Jabber servers, multiple accounts of each type (including GoogleTalk), multiple accounts (of all types) active at once, save conversation logs to SD card), better VNC+SSH integration, integration with Google Voice, Wifi/BT-DUN/BT-PAN/USB based tethering, and the ability to independently turn on/off each data protocol (2G data, 3G data, Wifi) (or select which SIM card to use if it has dual SIM cards, so you could have voice+messaging on one SIM card, 2G+3G data on the other, or you could go wifi-only, etc.). Oh, and, I suspect MMS doesn't work right now as I can't receive MMS messages ... so it should do MMS as well.

THAT device, I would be ALL over. I suspect a keyboardless version of that device would sell decently as well (just not to me).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones