• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What phone do you plan on upgrading to?

I'll use my G-Nex until it's showing signs of breaking down, and then I'll heavily research for an upgrade. Right now I cannot justify the cost of an upgrade unless the phone is just not working properly anymore. Cash is too hard to come by these days. :)

Ditto.

I just got my Gnex 2 months ago. I wish I could get the Gnote2 or the GS3 but money's tight. Still loving the Nexus experience. :D

Upvote 0
good question. nothing out right now that's really compelling. sticking with my gnex for the foreseeable future.

i do have an ear/eye open for the device code named "xphone". not much really known about it right now other than a google/moto collaboration that should hit vzw if/when released.

Upvote 0
Is indeed a good question. I'm in that dreaded situation where a subsidized upgrade means loss of unlimited data. I'm not sure if I can handle that and I KNOW I won't accept 2GB of data. So unless they offer a better deal in the future, I'm really in a holding pattern. Either wait until some random person is ready to sell the next best thing and buy one outright, or stick with the Gnex until the cows come home, or switch carriers and buy GSM Nexi from here on out.

iowabowtech-albums-my-pics-picture4329-lost-confused.jpg

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Yeah... If having a nexus device on Verizon is the most important thing for people... They might be stuck with the galaxy nexus indefinitely. The Motorola X phone might be the closest thing we'll see.

By the time the SGS4 comes out... That might look like a very appealing choice. I want a nexus phone and if I can't get one... I'll get a phone that will be popular enough to have an extremely song Dev community so I can get my AOSP on :)

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Is indeed a good question. I'm in that dreaded situation where a subsidized upgrade means loss of unlimited data. I'm not sure if I can handle that and I KNOW I won't accept 2GB of data. So unless they offer a better deal in the future, I'm really in a holding pattern. Either wait until some random person is ready to sell the next best thing and buy one outright, or stick with the Gnex until the cows come home, or switch carriers and buy GSM Nexi from here on out.

I am in a similar situation, but honestly, I only have 2 smart phones (out of 4) on my plan and between us we use between 4 & 5 gigs a month. I'm thinking of going the 10 gig route which would be a very minor increase in my bill. I'm certainly not happy about it, but I also don't want to pay $600-800 for a new phone to keep unlimited data that I am not getting all the usage out of to make it worth it.

That said, I have no immediate plans to do this. I have an upgrade available, but I will probably pull the trigger on a Galaxy S4 or a Note 3 (whenever they come out).

Upvote 0
I am in a similar situation, but honestly, I only have 2 smart phones (out of 4) on my plan and between us we use between 4 & 5 gigs a month. I'm thinking of going the 10 gig route which would be a very minor increase in my bill. I'm certainly not happy about it, but I also don't want to pay $600-800 for a new phone to keep unlimited data that I am not getting all the usage out of to make it worth it.

That said, I have no immediate plans to do this. I have an upgrade available, but I will probably pull the trigger on a Galaxy S4 or a Note 3 (whenever they come out).

What's the 10 gig route entail? I haven't been keeping up with the latest.

Upvote 0
Probably the next nexus
Wife just got the nexus 4 and tbh its not that big a jump forward

Don't flame or hate I know it has better specs in many areas but usage wise its not that much different

TI OMAP 4460 with PowerVR SGX540 GPU in the Galaxy Nexus pales in comparison to the Snapdragon S4 Pro with Adreno 320 Graphics found in the Nexus 4...and I'd be lying if I said I could care less about the spec differences between the two phones.

Having said that, I still love my GNex and despite the occasional lag...it more than does the job. In my opinion, Android phones have reached a point where most people can be happy for a full 2 years with the same devices.

I'm going on two years with my Asus Transformer TF101 and have had the Galaxy Nexus for a year now.

Here are the things that I will be looking at when I do upgrade my devices:
  • Battery life!
  • Software (meaning stock android vs. manufacturer skin)
  • Unlocked bootloader is a must!
  • Design
  • Potential for ROM development (more popular the phone is...bigger the Dev community will be)

The "this chip vs. that chip" arguments are almost becoming irrelevant for most users with the current state of games and such. That may change but I really don't think you'll see a big difference between the S4 Pro processor and the Nvidia Tegra 4. Just be sure to put a 3000+ mAh battery in the damn thing so you don't have to concern yourself with limiting your usage to make it through a day on a charge LOL!

Upvote 0

This^^

I'm planning to follow this path.

A. wait for a phone that I want to come out
B. Compare "current" data plans at that point.
C. Probably buy the phone outright(either new or second hand) Because they can drag my unlimited plan out of my dead cold hand :p

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones