What phone do you plan on upgrading to?General

1. headbanger51

headbanger51 Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to upgrade from my SGN to a Note II but I'm holding off. What phones that are rumored to be coming out (on Verizon) sound good? What phone do you plan on upgrading to (if you're even considering it)?
    I'm totally out of the loop.

Advertisement
  2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

I'll use my G-Nex until it's showing signs of breaking down, and then I'll heavily research for an upgrade. Right now I cannot justify the cost of an upgrade unless the phone is just not working properly anymore. Cash is too hard to come by these days. :)
  3. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I'm in no hurry. :love: I Love my G-NEX.
  4. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I don't know when, but whenever it is, it will be a nexus.
  5. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

The Galaxy Note 2.

This device is way cool. I played with it yesterday for the first time. :)
  6. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 Well-Known Member

Im planning to not upgrade b/c nothing is worth it on Vzw. If you are here then you know/like to root and rom so nothing they have is really a must........................at the moment...
  7. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

Ditto.

I just got my Gnex 2 months ago. I wish I could get the Gnote2 or the GS3 but money's tight. Still loving the Nexus experience. :D
  8. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't see myself leaving Verizon unless there is some huge upheaval. So I guess I won't be switching to anything until Verizon gets another nexus... and who knows if they will. I just can't see myself with anything else unless I'm desperate and some mfg releases a nexus-like vanilla android.
  9. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Whatever is out in about a year. My GNexus is outlasting my Eris' useful life by far.
  10. BzB

BzB Well-Known Member

good question. nothing out right now that's really compelling. sticking with my gnex for the foreseeable future.

i do have an ear/eye open for the device code named "xphone". not much really known about it right now other than a google/moto collaboration that should hit vzw if/when released.
  11. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Is indeed a good question. I'm in that dreaded situation where a subsidized upgrade means loss of unlimited data. I'm not sure if I can handle that and I KNOW I won't accept 2GB of data. So unless they offer a better deal in the future, I'm really in a holding pattern. Either wait until some random person is ready to sell the next best thing and buy one outright, or stick with the Gnex until the cows come home, or switch carriers and buy GSM Nexi from here on out.

[​IMG]
    Crashumbc likes this.
  12. Watson111505

Watson111505 JDUB VIP Member

Satisfied for now with my GNEX.....hopefully Motorola will get the Nexus branding....that will be my next phone.
  13. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Yeah... If having a nexus device on Verizon is the most important thing for people... They might be stuck with the galaxy nexus indefinitely. The Motorola X phone might be the closest thing we'll see.

By the time the SGS4 comes out... That might look like a very appealing choice. I want a nexus phone and if I can't get one... I'll get a phone that will be popular enough to have an extremely song Dev community so I can get my AOSP on :)
    iowabowtech likes this.
  14. EVGA_RobB

EVGA_RobB Active Member

I am in a similar situation, but honestly, I only have 2 smart phones (out of 4) on my plan and between us we use between 4 & 5 gigs a month. I'm thinking of going the 10 gig route which would be a very minor increase in my bill. I'm certainly not happy about it, but I also don't want to pay $600-800 for a new phone to keep unlimited data that I am not getting all the usage out of to make it worth it.

That said, I have no immediate plans to do this. I have an upgrade available, but I will probably pull the trigger on a Galaxy S4 or a Note 3 (whenever they come out).
  15. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

What's the 10 gig route entail? I haven't been keeping up with the latest.
  16. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

Probably the next nexus
    Wife just got the nexus 4 and tbh its not that big a jump forward

Don't flame or hate I know it has better specs in many areas but usage wise its not that much different
  17. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

TI OMAP 4460 with PowerVR SGX540 GPU in the Galaxy Nexus pales in comparison to the Snapdragon S4 Pro with Adreno 320 Graphics found in the Nexus 4...and I'd be lying if I said I could care less about the spec differences between the two phones.

Having said that, I still love my GNex and despite the occasional lag...it more than does the job. In my opinion, Android phones have reached a point where most people can be happy for a full 2 years with the same devices.

I'm going on two years with my Asus Transformer TF101 and have had the Galaxy Nexus for a year now.

Here are the things that I will be looking at when I do upgrade my devices:
    • Battery life!
    • Software (meaning stock android vs. manufacturer skin)
    • Unlocked bootloader is a must!
    • Design
    • Potential for ROM development (more popular the phone is...bigger the Dev community will be)

The "this chip vs. that chip" arguments are almost becoming irrelevant for most users with the current state of games and such. That may change but I really don't think you'll see a big difference between the S4 Pro processor and the Nvidia Tegra 4. Just be sure to put a 3000+ mAh battery in the damn thing so you don't have to concern yourself with limiting your usage to make it through a day on a charge LOL!
  18. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

This^^

I'm planning to follow this path.

A. wait for a phone that I want to come out
    B. Compare "current" data plans at that point.
    C. Probably buy the phone outright(either new or second hand) Because they can drag my unlimited plan out of my dead cold hand :p
    iowabowtech likes this.
  19. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

If I was buying a new mobile today I would get either:
    - Note II: No longer my excuse that it would look odd holding it up to my ear since I rarely do that
    - Nexus 4: Always gotta love pure Android and guaranteed upgrades

What I will do: see what is announced at Google I/O
  20. kinfolk248

yea, ive been telling ppl that 4.2 is an excuse of an update from 4.1....next one should give us all boners tho lol
  21. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

I found it strange the update schedule and namunhb

2.1 was eclair
    2.2 was froyo
    2.3 gingerbread

Yet
    4.0 ICS
    4.1 jellybean
    4.2 jellybean
  22. kinfolk248

they kept jellybean cus 4.2 couldve/shouldve been more like 4.1.3 lol
  23. rosser725

rosser725 Active Member

My upgrade is in June, so I'll probably get the iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4, or the Moto Nexus if it comes to Verizon..
  24. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

2.0 was also
    malcster likes this.
  25. atrain311

atrain311 Well-Known Member

My Nexus was getting quirky, so with two upgrades in hand, I just grabbed a DNA. For a change of pace it will totally hold me until my next upgrade this summer.