• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Phone Screen Size is Too BIG, just Right, or Too Small for you?

Honestly I think 4.3 inches of screen is a bit too big for me. The over all phone wil probably be about 4.8-5 inches. It fits in my palm, but leaving it in my pocket creates a buldge or just the feeling of something huge, heavy and flat in my pocket doesn't feel too comfortable..plus I don't like too much attention when I take out my phone cause its a lot bigger than everyone elses.. haha.. I think 3.5-3.8 inches in screen is ample for me like the Droid INcredible, Iphone, Epic 4g. The Evo 4G seems way too big for me to whip out and play with. What are YOUR rants and raves in sizes?

Before I got the Evo, I thought it too big. Now, anything smaller than 4.3 feels small. I think 4" is as small as I could now go and comfortably use the phone for browsing and book reading. When I use smaller 3.2-3.5" devices now, I wonder how I ever tolerated it. I'm a big guy with big paws, but I can't see phones getting much wider than the current Evo/DroidX . Any increase in screen size needs to come from reductions in bezel.

Upvote 0
i have the Inspire and the 4.3 in screen is just awesome. i like all that room for my fingers. :) and it's very easy on my eyes so i don't need to squint.
my previous smartphone was a Palm Pre and i was sure a 3.2 inch screen was just fine for me. but the screen on the Inspire just blew my mind once i got it.
i also have an iPod touch so it kinda simulates an iPhone screen and even that seems small now.
but i haven't tried anything in the 3.6 to 4 inch screen size range. so who knows if i may like those better in the future

Upvote 0
4.3" is a very nice screen size. But a 4.3" screen that's on a 6" phone body would be too big. So it's really about making the screen as big as the body can handle, and keeping the body comfortable enough for a pocket. My Evo fits nicely in pocket. It's much slimmer than my wallet.

Personally, if touchscreen is the method of input, the bigger the better. The iphone's 3.5" is rediculously small to me. Hated it when I tested it out back in the day.

Upvote 0
I like to keep all my phones outside my pocket so my Captivate's large screen works for me. When I was looking for an Android phone, Sony's X10 didn't appeal to me because it had a poorly designed interface and ran Android 1.6. Motorola's phones were ranked up there with watching grass grow and HTC's Aria was too small.

Upvote 0
Switching from a 3.5 inch iPhone to the 4.3 inch Inspire, my first impression was "Wow this thing is huge". It didn't take long to realize how much easier it is to type on, how much better web browsing/video playback looks and how much more natural a larger device is to hold. I will probably never go back to anything smaller.

Upvote 0
as far as phone sizes go something like the Evo/Desire HD/Thunderbolt/Droid X should be the biggest as manufacturers should go.
then they should focus on making full screen (little to no bezel phones) that way they can maximize frontal real estate for just the screen and the four buttons.
that way they can put bigger screens on smaller phones so they're much easier to hold and put in our pockets :)

Upvote 0
The LG Ally has a 3.8" (I think). That is the lower-end of workable, and is salvaged by the fact it has a hardware keyboard (No screen space wasted on a keyboard).

Currently, my Fascinate is a 4.3". With the on-screen keyboard, it's comfortable. While, I don't want the phone as a whole to get bigger, if they make the screen edge-to-edge it would still be satisfactory.

The Thunderbolt that I messed with for a day was slightly too big. It's not a device I can be comfortable with for day-to-day use. If I need a bigger screen than my fascinate, then I'm looking to do some "heavy lifting" as far as work goes, so out comes my tablet.

Upvote 0
The LG Ally has a 3.8" (I think). That is the lower-end of workable, and is salvaged by the fact it has a hardware keyboard (No screen space wasted on a keyboard).

Currently, my Fascinate is a 4.3". With the on-screen keyboard, it's comfortable. While, I don't want the phone as a whole to get bigger, if they make the screen edge-to-edge it would still be satisfactory.

The Thunderbolt that I messed with for a day was slightly too big. It's not a device I can be comfortable with for day-to-day use. If I need a bigger screen than my fascinate, then I'm looking to do some "heavy lifting" as far as work goes, so out comes my tablet.

the fascinate is 4", the tbolt is 4.3, just an fyi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones