What phone to get for my daughter?

Last Updated:

1. Fubie

Fubie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As the title implies I am looking for a phone, Android of course, for my daughter. My second daughter in fact. As my signature implies I have an Evo and I my wife has my old Hero. My oldest daughter also has a Hero. If you haven't guessed by now I'm on Sprint.

Since the Hero is getting long in tooth I am considering 2 new phones (Samsung Transform or the LG Optimus S.) for my daughter and need some help since there aren't a lot of comparisons out there. Please suggest others if you know them well. This will be her first phone and does not need to be the cheapest, but most definitely not more expensive than mine... :eek:

TIA

Advertisement
  2. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

How old? What does she (you) want her to do with the phone? Are you looking new with contract or used?

If it were me, I'd either look to upgrade the wife and pass on the Hero to the kid or look in the classified/ebay/craigs list for a good condition Hero. If she's relatively young, I cant see her wantinng to carry a big honking Evo, Epic or even the intercept/transform. The new LG optimus looks promising on the low end and new. Stay away from used Moments, too much trouble for a teen. I also thought the Zio was decent for a small and cheap device but there are a lot of complaints about its slow reacting touchscreen. If she's a young teen, does she need or even want a smartphone?

cookie_monster and Fubie like this.
  3. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

I have to say that the Optimus is a pretty nice and solid phone. It doors eventing android need to do but also small and it has the official swype it will be great for texting. As for the more expensive and nicer phones like the evo or epic kids could break them easily and do not really have any use for them. Plus three bad battery life is a huge minus.

4. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

All of sprints new android offerings look real weak. The optimus s looks ok, but I would still prefer the Hero over it. I'd say optimus s or hero is the route you want to take.

5. Fubie

Thanks for the replies all. I wanted to keep this simple so I didn't give what I considered to much information. But I'll pile it on if that might help with the replies.

This will be my daughters first phone. It will be added as a line to our family plan. She will not be getting an Evo or Epic. Period. I don't really want to spend more the $149 (After MIR). I do not like the Moment and haven't since it was released. I've heard the Intercept is ok. Since this will be her first phone and she has small hands I don't believe she needs a hardware keyboard. A phone that has or will get 2.2 without rooting would be great.

Possible phones
    Optimus S
    Transform
    Zio
    Hero
    Intercept

NOT going to happen
    Evo
    Epic
    Moment
    Motorola i1

Did I clarify better?

6. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

May I ask why you disqualified the i1 when it costs the same as a hero? I don't know your daughters age, but I know kids are hard on their phones. The i1 looks to be a very rugged and sturdy phone that still performs well enough to enjoy using. I definitely would not recommend paying for a new Hero, and I second the idea of upgrading your wife and passing the hero along to your daughter. The Optimus looks okay, and I've heard of issues with the Zio. Good luck on whatever you choose.

7. Fubie

The reason is, as I understand it, the i1 comes with 1.5, is only capable of EVDO Rev 0. I know that kids can be tough on stuff, hell I was horrible when I was that their age, but my other daughter has not damaged or dropped her phone. I can't say my statement of "...death will be the least of your worries...if the phone is damaged..." ;) helped or not.

8. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

May I ask you to go play with one, the next time you're in a store?
    The i1 is a hunk of SHIT pure and simple. It lags, it's slow on speeds, it's unresponsive... I mean, it's basically a Moment without a sliding keyboard, save the slow data speeds.

9. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I will be critical with LG for future OS updates. I'm just speaking from my experience with the LG Eve with my carrier in Canada. It has not been updated beyond the 1.5 it came with. The phone came out Q4 of last year. This was LG's first Android phone and to have it with so little support just speaks volume to me. So yes, I am skeptical with LG, I'd say if you get the LG phone, get it for the OS it currently has and not what it will have.

10. pastafarian

Kids have a reputation for being hard on a device and even losing them...often. You already have experience with the Hero which should make your MIS/help desk duties easier. The Hero can be found used for cheap, making a ready replacement supply. Even if you buy new, you only get 2-3 replacements from insurance before they drop you. Get the new phones for the wife and yourself, a kid with her first phone would be thrilled with an old Hero.

11. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

I will get the Optimus S. If you're worried about OS updates, this phone at least comes with Android 2.2 right out of the box. Its not just Android 2.2, it really is pure naked Android 2.2 Froyo without any layers and themes. Makes it like a mini Nexus.

Phones that don't sell well, like the LG EVE, has a tendency to be abandoned with support. The LG Optimus One on the other hand, has sold one million in 40 days, which is like 25,000 a day. When you consider Android as a whole maybe moving between 200,000 to 250,000 a day, just one phone alone like the Optimus One and its variants scoring that, that ain't so bad. That's actually really good, since this is probably the first LG that finally cracked the Android market for them. [The Slide Plus, Ally, GT540 didn't seem to do that well with them.]

It should be noted that the GT540 Optimus did enjoy an Android 2.1 upgrade from Android 1.6, so maybe LG is finally learning the update game. Plus the fact there are now tons of Optimus One out there, I don't believe that LG would abandon this. Plus the fact that the Optimus Androids are either raw Android like the S or the UI only slightly modified, makes it easier for them to potentially update.

12. Siddique

Siddique Member

13. ashykat

Yes you may. :)

I actually haven't played with one myself, and wasn't actually recommending it to the OP, I was just curious as to why he didn't see that as a viable choice. I watched a review on it, and it didn't seem awful for what it is, a semi-rugged water resistant basic android phone. Different phones are better for different people. Now that I've said that, the i1 really isn't my style. I prefer the Evo's and Droid X's of the world.

14. pastafarian

Somewhat funny related story that I was told last night. My neighbors thought they were being really cool parents when they got their 14yr old daughter a iPhone4. They had asked me about the phone and bought it without her knowledge as a surprise gift. After about a week of use, she asked if she could sell it and get a cheap POS texting phone instead. All she does is text...a lot and the iPhone doesn't get the battery life nor is the soft keyboard fast enough for her. To her the $400 iPhone is the POS and the pink $50 texting phone with 2.3" screen and vga camera is the bomb.

Most of us here are smartphone snobs, we look down our noses at feature phones. Most of us here aren't teenagers either!

15. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

lol, that's just so funny. I would think teenagers follow craze/trends so if all the kids at school have a iPhone4, they NEED one too.

16. ashykat

I am somewhat surprised at the battery life claim as I've seen the iPhone 4 has pretty good battery life in comparison with many other smartphones, though I guess it's not like my old flip phones that could go a few days. I personally don't see what the big deal is about plugging in my phone at night but I guess you're right, I'm a smartphone snob. Oh well, let the girl enjoy her enV or whatever POS phone she gets, lol.

17. Fubie

LOL. I thought about that when I got my older daughter her first phone. She said all she wanted was a phone to text with. But when I gave her the Hero, showed her that she could text AND do much more than her friends with their, as you put it, "cheap POS texting phone" she was amazed.