• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What phone would you get...

So about two months ago I got rid of my Droid Eris because I needed to save some money for a new computer. Now that my finances are back to a somewhat stable level I am starting to look into getting another Android phone.

Here is my actual question:

If you had to pick one of the Android phones on Verizon right now which one would you decide to purchase and why?

Are there any interesting phones scheduled or rumored to hit Verizon in the foreseeable future?

Any input is welcome!
Thanks alot!:D

I've been checking Craigslist a lot lately for the original Droid in a sub-$200 range. My update isn't for another year, so I don't want to pay full retail for any of the newer phones (ie. Droid X, Incredible, Droid 2). I'll sell off my Eris if I buy a Droid so it won't be costing me too much to get a different phone.

But I hate buying "old" tech, though....so maybe I'll just hold off until Christmas and use my dad's yearly upgrade. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I've been checking Craigslist a lot lately for the original Droid in a sub-$200 range. My update isn't for another year, so I don't want to pay full retail for any of the newer phones (ie. Droid X, Incredible, Droid 2). I'll sell off my Eris if I buy a Droid so it won't be costing me too much to get a different phone.

But I hate buying "old" tech, though....so maybe I'll just hold off until Christmas and use my dad's yearly upgrade. :rolleyes:

If you can offset most of the cost why not go ahead and do it? The Droid just received 2.2 and from what i have read, the Droid 2 is the exact same phone, just aesthetic changes.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have seen the Droid 2 and it does look very promising.

Does anyone know if you can turn off HTC Sense on the Incredible? I really like that phone but really don't like Sense all that much...

Yeah, you should be able to. Download home switcher or something and you should be able to change it then. The way I did it is I downloaded a launcher and when I hit the home button, it came up with three options, the launcher I just downloaded, plain old stock home, and Sense. It should work on the Incredible as well.

And I think the Droid 2 isn't going to be just stock home, I think it's gonna have some form of MOTOBLUR. I could be wrong, and I haven't been paying close attention to Android news since switching from my Eris, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna have a custom skin.

Upvote 0
If you can offset most of the cost why not go ahead and do it? The Droid just received 2.2 and from what i have read, the Droid 2 is the exact same phone, just aesthetic changes.

The Droid 2 is a similar form factor (and OS version, for now), but it's packing a much faster processor (1Ghz) and more memory. Also, reports thus far indicate that the keyboard is much better.

OP, the Droid 2 is definitely what I would choose, but that's mostly because I like its smaller size compared to something like the Droid X, or Samsung Fascinate (coming soon).

Upvote 0
Droid 2 and Droid X are already outdated, and the latter hasn't even been released yet.

If you can wait it out a bit longer, a 2Ghz OMAP processor, as well as a dual-core Qualcomm processor is due out soon. I've sworn off Qualcomm phones, so it isn't an option for me.

The 2 Ghz Motorola phone with OMAP should be in around the holidays, or a bit afterwards. I feel that should stay relatively "current" until this time next year, possibly beyond. Similar to how the Snapdragon is.

Upvote 0
I agree with farts above.....I hate the keyboard, but the original droid is just a badass phone, perfect size....a little bricky....but not as bad as teh X. I just went to BB to check out the X and had to say I was not impressed. The biggest thing was that the plastic "frame" around the screen was coming off on the right side. It looked like someones door ding rubber strip hanging loose on the side of their car. (Yes, the X does feel about the same size as an old Lincoln Cont.).
I'm waiting to see what the Scorpion brings and also whats around the bend. 1ghz is soooo 10 minutes ago. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones