• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What phones are coming?

bartmanekul

Nov 17, 2009
Ok, I'm wanting to move over from symbian. Been a happy user for many years, but Nokia simply seems to be heading for a fall in all respects. This silly Ovi thing which will never take off, and the rapid decline of the quality and innovation of their handsets is the final nail in the coffin for me.

However, I can't see any Android handsets that do it for me. While I think the operating system is miles better, there seems to be a massive drawback for Android phones - the imaging.

There's not a single one with a decent camera - the hero and galaxy both have 5mp, but the images taken by them are nothing in comparision with all the Nokia generic 5mp CZ ones.

So is there anything coming up that I would like? I noticed the Samsung behold 2, but that seems to be US only. Not to mention it might not be an better than the galaxy camera.

I really don't want to go back to Nokia, but since I use my phone as my main camera, it has to be reasonably good. I know about the upcoming SE beast, but that's got a 4" screen, and I sold the i8910 because it was simply too big to comfortably operate.

So...is there anything that could interest me? All I can see is the behold 2, and like I said, that seems to be US only (I'm UK).

Verizon Droid has an 8MP camera with led flash, but some are reporting focus issues- hopefully the upcoming ota update will resolve this. I'm watching for the HTC Passion rumored to be coming to Verizon mid-December, believe it is supposed to have a decent camera as well. In general, I don't expect a real high quality camera in a cell phone, though- Even if it is 8 or even 10MP, it could still have lousy optics, firmware, etc.

Edit- sorry, missed the bit about you being UK.

Upvote 0
Should have mentioned, I don't like overly large handsets. Which rules out most with hardware qwerty (I never use them anyway, preferring onscreen keyboard).

I know all about limitations of phone cameras, but I don't own a camera apart from my phone. I only take on the fly photos, so a camera phone is perfect, bar lacking focus.

Ah well, looks like I might have to miss Android for another year then *sighs*

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones