What program do you guys use to convert video for your galaxy s?Support

Last Updated:

1. SquareBare

SquareBare Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried a few but all of them had to stretch or resize in some way or another.

I was wondering if there was a great piece of software out there that could optimize video for this lovely screen. I heard samsung was in the process of making one for its "itunes" program but nothing else besides that.

Advertisement
  2. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

I actually haven't done any kind of converting or optimizing. If it's a file type that the phone can support (which is probable for the most part), I just put it straight onto the phone. I've found that the 720p DVD rips look great. Granted, they're like 1.5-2GB per movie, but I currently have The Big Lebowski, Shooter, and Hot Tub Time Machine on my phone and it looks great.

3. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

4. The K-Zoo Kid

The K-Zoo Kid Well-Known Member

I just put them on as avi format..

5. dissident75

dissident75 Well-Known Member

I don't have to convert my stuff for the phone, but when I need to convert video files in general I use Super. Its free and works great to convert formats, sizes, containers, everything really.

Plus it'll give detailed info on files so you can find a file that works, and then clone the file info into a new file conversion. Great stuff, I think the newer version can actually save custom presets.

GReat stuff, it my go to conversion software. One hitch, it won't do anything for DRM'ed files. For that you gotta pay for something.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

6. truoc444

truoc444 Well-Known Member

I use handbrake on my Mac to rip my DVDs m4v files about 500-700mb look and sound great.

7. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

8. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

Believe it or not us mods actually do know what we are talking about :D

9. mrkapawutzis

mrkapawutzis New Member

10. mrclean1727

mrclean1727 New Member

11. Princesstechy

Princesstechy New Member

what are you trying to convert, what format to what format.

12. vuvision

vuvision Well-Known Member

Another vote for Handbrake, I've converted over a dozen or so DVDs for the wife (mainly chic flicks :p) without a hitch.

1.2 to 1.4 gb file size in m4v format. Amazing video & audio quality on our Vibrant.

13. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

Most of my videos have a black bar on the top and bottom for widescreen. Is there a way to change that in Handbrake?

14. jkcheng122

jkcheng122 Well-Known Member

Not without destroying the original aspect ratio which will distort the image. In Handbrake you can choose to ignore aspect ration and set the converter to convert to 800x480 to fill the screen. There's also a button on the right hand side that in the default video player on the Vibrant that can fill the screen.

But the bottom line is you can't get rid of the bars w/o distorting the picture unless the original material is in some form of 800 to 480 ratio.

15. vuvision

vuvision Well-Known Member

X2 ^^

For DVD in 16:9 and 1.85:1 formats, you can fill the Vibrant's screen by toggling the lower right button. But with DVD in extra wide letter box 2.40:1 format, Handbrake gives you option to crop the screen but without distorting the image as jkcheng mentioned above.

16. the1who

the1who Well-Known Member

For technical users, my vote for Handbrake the ability to control many aspects of what you want the final output to be, such as setting a file size. I used it to program 4 dvd's onto my 2gb for a trip to Talladega this year, worked really well.

17. francisyang100

francisyang100 New Member

I use a free app called: Rockplayer, absolutely no need to convert anything.
    Just put your file in the phone's folder path. Open the app, find the file and play it.

18. Zylograth

Zylograth Well-Known Member

19. RichieHD

RichieHD Well-Known Member

Everything I've ever thrown at the default player has worked. I'm so happy it supports xVid and DivX.

20. VEGETA71

VEGETA71 New Member

Just download rockplayer it plays a lot of types

21. Tarzanman

Tarzanman Active Member

The only format that I wish it played that it doesn't is mpg and mpga

22. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Hi, so I installed handbrake, and I put in a dvd, it starts scanning the dvd. Takes forever, my current scan has been going on for 2 hrs. So if I try to stop the scan, or close handbrake down, it closes but continues to scan in the background. Then I pull my dvd manullay out of the drive, and handbrake goes crazy on me, keeps giving me some error message, I press cancel, retry, continue... I've tried all three, and the stupid message keeps coming back like a virus.

So I tried installing handbrake on a different computer and tried a different dvd, same thing. either i'm doing something wrong, or handbrake has a bug in it.

23. ww927bin

ww927bin Member

Freeware: Installed copy of Handbrake software from here: http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

If you want to watch blu ray DVD movies on galaxy S. I recommend you Pavtube DVD ripper(Shareware), you can rip/convert DVD 1.5 or 2 times faster than other similar tools. And you can select your desired subtitle, audio track and camera angle when doing the real-time previewing on the right window of the main interface.
    Download here: http://www.pavtube.com/dvd_ripper/
    The video settings: h.264 mp4 1280*720 30fps 2000kbps aac stereo 48000 160000
    This is a guide about how to watch blu ray dvd movie videos on samsung galaxy
    http://www.pavtube.com/guide/watch-b...fascinate.html