What programming languages do you know?

Last Updated:

1. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What programming languages do you guys know? What level of experience do you have with them?

I know html, css, javascript and java.

I'm pretty confident with html and css. Javascript is pretty straightforward but I haven't really learnt much of it yet.

I've just finished my first year of university studying Computing, of which java is one of the classes, so my knowledge of java is slightly above beginner, now.

I also know a bit of SQL, not really a language as such but it's still important.

I'd like to learn C++ and python as other programming languages. Also assembler as a low level one.

I'm pretty good at web design/dev so I'd also like to learn more javascript and php, as well as the other serverside languages and whatnot related to web development.

Advertisement
  2. Zenze

Zenze Well-Known Member

Im currently studying computer engineering. Languages that I know so far are:

C (Lots and lots)
    Java
    Assembly
    Prolog
    OCAML
    html (haven't used in forever)
    bash scripting

Not programming languages themselves but I have also used flex and bison for scanning and parsing.

Once you learn one its really not hard to learn others from my experience...

3. rwZephyr

rwZephyr Well-Known Member

Oh man, I'm trumped here. I started studying Java in high school, haven't touched it in years. I used to also be pretty proficient in Action Script, but thats just flash, lol

4. wiretap

wiretap Well-Known Member

C/C++
    Java
    CSS
    Perl
    Assembly
    ACL
    SQL
    HTML

I hate programming, but I had to do it for my computer engineering degree and some for work. I'm mainly hardware focused.

5. Zenze

Zenze Well-Known Member

lol I'm the opposite :D. I can't stand the hardware side. Analyzing circuits is just to tedious for me.

6. Pryomancer

I've always preferred hardware, it's simpler to me. But then again the electrical side with voltages and such, I've never really been hugely interested in.

I used to want to be a graphic designer before I chose computing, and I've got seven years of Photoshop experience, so website design and development comes naturally to me.

7. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Does Basic on the Commodore 64 count? :D

8. applefruit

applefruit Well-Known Member

Why do people think html/css is a programming language? It's a markup language, to format text.

Bit of Pascal (delphi) and PHP.

9. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

You probably heard of this many times, should have gone electrical engineer if you rather do hardware only. You're just like a friend of mine, dislikes software.

I think of it has "web design language" since it's true. :)

I know: C, C++, C#, Java, JavaScript(still iffy on this one), ASP.NET 2.0.

I've looked at PHP and others and most of the concept seems the same.

@OP: Learn C++ and you should be able to learn most other languages easily.

10. Pryomancer

I/we know that HTML etc aren't programming languages, but still, I count them in my language skillset.

@DKYang: I'm learning Java anyway, so once I get good at that, I'll probably move onto C++ as a matter of course.

11. wiretap

Computer engineering is almost exactly the same as electrical engineering, except more time is spent on logic/microprocessor electronics. I'm enjoying computer engineering a lot (I have about 4 classes left until I graduate). Computer science is what you want to stay away from if you don't like programming.

Computer Engineering = hardware
    Computer Science = software

12. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member

C++ is a dying language. I wouldn't learn it unless I had to.

13. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Props to the people who program in assembly.

My list:

HTML
    CSS
    Javascript
    Flash AS 2.0(working on learning 3.0 when I finally get to it)
    Some PHP
    Visual Basic

Things I want to learn or already learning

Perl
    Ajax
    Assembly
    Java
    C
    PHP

I'm mostly focused on learning php/ajax/mysql combo... powerhouse for web services.

And yeah, I'm a software guy, but id like to finish up getting my ccna and microsoft certs as well.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

14. vandyblackandgold

vandyblackandgold Well-Known Member

anybody using COBOL? :D

15. Pryomancer

I've just finished my first year of university and got the CCNA. It's easy as hell, but taught me a lot about networking.

16. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

If you're a computer engineer then you have to have knowledge in programming. FPGA and Assembly are good examples. Computer Engineering is a hybrid of software and hardware, not just fully focusing on hardware. If you wanted to fully focus on hardware without any programming, then Electrical is the way to go. Don't think that computer engineering is only hardware. Of course this all depends on the type of job you get, but employers will expect you to know programming also.

17. wiretap

Yes.. I know. I've gone through all the classes. They're much less programming-intensive than computer science is.

18. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

I know a little HTML and Pearl (barely any). I'm currently in a Java class ATM.

19. newtype06

newtype06 Active Member

I know Visual Basic, HTML, and a little bit of everything else. VB and HTML are really my only "expert" areas.

20. mkeath

mkeath Well-Known Member

Actually I do know COBOL. There is an entire course devoted to it at my school. My advisor convinced me to take it since a lot of companies still run COBOL legacy code that needs to be maintained. It was a painful experience, but it can be an insanely useful language when you need to manipulate and display data a certain way. There were several times during my systems programming course where I wished I could use COBOL for my assembler or emulator I had to write. Other than COBOL I know:

Java
    C (a little)
    VB
    Assembly (LC3 and SIC/XE)

I want to learn more, but between school and having a social life, I don't have much time.

21. vandyblackandgold

vandyblackandgold Well-Known Member

my company has a software package that was written in COBOL, about 30 years ago. today, a single customer, out of a pool of about 900 or so, can call up and make a request for the software to do something a specific way.....we can usually rollout an update, to everyone, within about a week.

22. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I never took any classes. Everything is self-taught for me.

Who else is in the self-taught club?

23. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

I'm learning java now.

24. Zenze

Zenze Well-Known Member

I learned C and Assembly in school, everything else is self taught. I started with teaching myself Java and by the time I started taking classes with C it was fairly easy to pick up.

25. dvandam

dvandam Well-Known Member

I was mainly trained in Microsoft technologies. As a result my expertise is in C#, Asp.Net, VB.Net, and SQL Server. Don't know much about the open source languages unfortunately.