• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What ROM are you loving?

Hey guys,

Im new to custom ROM's and had some questions. It seems you have to go to each roms' page to see what it all comes with and doesn't. If someone could help me pick one out id appreciate it. Here are my requirement's:

1. No Sense--I use launcher pro
2. Better battery life
3. Id be nice to have 4g
4. I dont want to have to mess with anything..just want to install and have it run smooth...its going to be time consuming just putting all my pics, apps, and movies back on.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Im new to custom ROM's and had some questions. It seems you have to go to each roms' page to see what it all comes with and doesn't. If someone could help me pick one out id appreciate it. Here are my requirement's:

2. Better battery life
3. Id be nice to have 4g
4. I dont want to have to mess with anything..just want to install and have it run smooth...its going to be time consuming just putting all my pics, apps, and movies back on.

Sounds like cm6 to me. No 4g but its still worth it to me. I have 4g in my area but can't get it in my apartment and even if I did, I probably wouldn't need it since I have wifi. I have been using cm6 for a week and it hasn't given me any problems. I wouldn't add a kernel because people have reported battery and bluetooth issues after changing kernels. His rom is lightning fast and very light. Also there are a bunch of themes for it. There is also a mod setting so you can fully customize it. Im getting 55 fps and games are smooth as butter. Good luck

Reactions: Xadeus
Upvote 0
yeah on the whole time, maybe configure your phone better?
Please post a screenshot of your battery screen so we can see how much you actually use your phone to get 48 hours of battery or you are probably using a 3500mah batt.

I call BS on stock battery if you are actually using your phone and it's not plugged in for the 48 hours!

Upvote 0
Please post a screenshot of your battery screen so we can see how much you actually use your phone to get 48 hours of battery or you are probably using a 3500mah batt.

I call BS on stock battery if you are actually using your phone and it's not plugged in for the 48 hours!

phones been on the charger all day. stock battery, and i work nights. i'll post a screen after i get home from being out at night tonight. it'll be off the charger when i leave in about 45 minutes.

Upvote 0
phones been on the charger all day. stock battery, and i work nights. i'll post a screen after i get home from being out at night tonight. it'll be off the charger when i leave in about 45 minutes.
48 hours would be Monday at this exact time.......Not tomorrow morning.

So if you can take your phone off the charger now, use your phone like most of us do, meaning keeping things on, and come back here in 2 days with a battery that has not died yet, you would have either the superman of batteries or a super rom and kernal that would be worth millions!

Just to note, if I didn't use my phone at all I could get 48 hours of battery as well.

Upvote 0

So if you can take your phone off the charger now, use your phone like most of us do, meaning keeping things on, and come back here in 2 days with a battery that has not died yet, you would have either the superman of batteries or a super rom and kernal that would be worth millions!

yes, but it would show you battery percentage and what ive been doing with my phone.

Upvote 0

Just to note, if I didn't use my phone at all I could get 48 hours of battery as well.

Ok, you win for now. the antenna at work on the radio went out so i plugged my evo into the AUX port for 3 or 4 hours to get music going while the customers were still in there and after they left we were so dead we just sat in the dining room watching kung fu panda on my phone till we closed so that all that murdered my battery and i had like 25 percent left on it when i left.

i'll get back to you tomorrow when i get to do it again cause im not doing the same shit again lol.

Upvote 0
Ok, you win for now. the antenna at work on the radio went out so i plugged my evo into the AUX port for 3 or 4 hours to get music going while the customers were still in there and after they left we were so dead we just sat in the dining room watching kung fu panda on my phone till we closed so that all that murdered my battery and i had like 25 percent left on it when i left.

i'll get back to you tomorrow when i get to do it again cause im not doing the same shit again lol.
Okay, you keep trying. lol

Upvote 0
I'm using "vaelpak - no sense" and boy it's great. I got used to not using sense...now I hate it slowing me down. I tried the CM6 and loved it but No 4G/FM Radio/Hdmi..and was looking for an alternative(Stock rom) without Sense, uncapped FPS, good Battery life.

This Rom is as closes you'll get to stock without Sense with uncapped fps plus custom kernal.(Haven't tried yet)

They just uncapped 4G in boston or so I've heard which is why I left CM6.

VaelPak is excellent. I keep going back to it.

Upvote 0
I'm using "vaelpak - no sense" and boy it's great. I got used to not using sense...now I hate it slowing me down. I tried the CM6 and loved it but No 4G/FM Radio/Hdmi..and was looking for an alternative(Stock rom) without Sense, uncapped FPS, good Battery life.

This Rom is as closes you'll get to stock without Sense with uncapped fps plus custom kernal.(Haven't tried yet)

They just uncapped 4G in boston or so I've heard which is why I left CM6.
Thanks for the mention. I was curious about this rom but wanted some insight on how good it was. Gonna give it a try. I am loving cm6 but variety is the spice of life. Off to nandroid and flash.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

2. Better battery life
3. Id be nice to have 4g

Vaelpak is right up your alley too. It has all of the above requirements. There's one guy doing all the work and he's really committed to it. I had a couple of questions (stupid ones at that) and he was quick to reply and get me a solution. Everything works so far on the ROM and it's been a joy to use.

james

[ROM] VaelPak v2.0 (9/6/10) - NonSense - [HTC#7][BFS][OC][UV][FPSU] - 3.28.651.1 OTA - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Using Baked 1.7. Gameloft games runs smoother. Tried Ava, Evio 2, Lovers, Vaekpak, but none of them were as smooth with Gameloft games. Perhaps its his built in kernel 6 that's making the difference. I had an Epic and that's how I was comparing the games. If you've ever tried Dungeon Hunter on Epic then you would know what I mean by smooth. I can't get it that smooth with Baked 1.7 but its pretty close. I also like the camera tweak in kernel 6. Videos are not as choppy recording 720p.

Upvote 0
This might be a silly question but im a newbie compared to rooting/rom/etc. Which rom would have the best themes? Or does it all depend on what you are looking for?

Also which rom is best for battery life? I bought me an extended battery and it isnt cutting it as id thought it would. I hardly get any/make any calls, just use my phone for mainly web browsing/texting.

I heard cm6 is good but doesnt have 4g capability? I heard Fresh is pretty cool too and Froyo (Froyo is also a rom correct?)

ANd what the heck are Kernels?

Upvote 0
...and Froyo (Froyo is also a rom correct?)

ANd what the heck are Kernels?

Okey dokey - I think I covered the Froyo definition in another thread, so I'll answer the kernel part here - and let others more experienced with the various ones help with your other rom questions.

Unix-like operating systems (read: Android), like many operating systems, are very modular, and conceptually, we think of these modules forming layers between you the user (at the top of this food chain) and the hardware/machinery (at the bottom).

The kernel is the software part just above the hardware/machinery.

Its job is to connect AND MANAGE the ideas/commands/required actions of software (apps and operating system) to the actual hardware/machinery (processor, memory, etc, etc).

Roms will include a kernel - but because things are modular, you can replace that module (the kernel) with a higher-performing or different-performing one provided it's compatible with your rom.

Various kernel developers will often provide various versions of their latest kernels and then tell you on their website (typically - XDA for our use) which version of their kernel work with which roms.

If you visit their websites, you'll find each developer (dev for short) keeps a changelog - notes from the dev - that pretty clearly spells out what hardware features work, which are in beta, and which are to be done (TBD).

Hope this helps!

PS - ALWAYS ASK if you're unsure before installing a separate kernel. The wrong one (a mismatch to your rom) will never make you a happy camper, so always safe to ask in the appropriate forum thread when in doubt. OK to experiment with different kernels from different devs - never OK to experiment with a kernel version you're not sure will match your chosen rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones