• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What ROM would you recommend?

No we have the Tie Fighters, AT-AT's and Star Destroyers, all in one uniform color scheme.

AOKP... you have a mishmash of widgets from every where :rolleyes:

images

Upvote 0
I completely forgot that I asked that screenshot question - was just about to come on here and ask it again when I realised the answer was already here! Thanks guys, works a treat. Just to prove it:

ICS Desire HD by Al Henderson, on Flickr

I had Sense for ages when I got the phone and liked it, but the Friends widget kept giving up on me so I went in search of something else and ended up with LauncherPro. That got me out of the Sense habit, so when I rooted I went vanilla Android. Not to say I won't try Sense again, though - its not exactly difficult to swap :)

The clock/weather widget is better in Sense, I'll give you that. Haven't yet found one that looks quite as good.

Al.

Upvote 0
Makes you wonder if HTC's excuse of the experience not being very good was just that..

Al.

IIRC, they actually said that it would involve changing partitions on the phone, which would mean that user data would be lost and, for the majority of "normal" users, this would be a problem. I think the general answer from the root community has been "fine, but why not release the source code, so the ROM devs could release a full version"...

Upvote 0
The DHD has 575MB of system space, and a bloat free Sense ICS install eats 90% of that. We did not get ICS, because there would not be enough space for HTC and carrier bloat, They could have made a ICS ROM without re-partitioning if they simply allowed some HTC apps as add-ons downloaded from HTC hub. Same for carrier apps. Of course they don't want to do this.

Upvote 0
The DHD has 575MB of system space, and a bloat free Sense ICS install eats 90% of that. We did not get ICS, because there would not be enough space for HTC and carrier bloat, They could have made a ICS ROM without re-partitioning if they simply allowed some HTC apps as add-ons downloaded from HTC hub. Same for carrier apps. Of course they don't want to do this.

If that was the case, HTC would have released ICS to unbranded handsets (as in the ones that were direct purchases of SIM-Free phones)...

Upvote 0
following this with interest as i like the 2 images above. which rom are they from? i assume ICS but which one?

im running ARHD at the mo and happy with it, but dont really understand what vanilla is and how it compares to sense. more stripped down? call me stupid but i thought GB and ICS were all sense, and stuff like cyanogenmod were stripped down.

now im sort of reading that ICS can be both sense and vanilla?? is that right?

im a bit confused about the differences.......

thanks

Upvote 0
All the screenshots above are from Ice Cold Sandwich.

If that was the case, HTC would have released ICS to unbranded handsets (as in the ones that were direct purchases of SIM-Free phones)...

I don't know what to say. Even full Sense 4 fits in a DHD's 575 MB of system space without re-partitioning, with most of the "Sense bloat" intact. As far as I can tell recall, only HTC Premium Navigation is not present.

Reactions: D-U-R-X and davo26
Upvote 0
following this with interest as i like the 2 images above. which rom are they from? i assume ICS but which one?

im running ARHD at the mo and happy with it, but dont really understand what vanilla is and how it compares to sense. more stripped down? call me stupid but i thought GB and ICS were all sense, and stuff like cyanogenmod were stripped down.

now im sort of reading that ICS can be both sense and vanilla?? is that right?

im a bit confused about the differences.......

thanks

Vanilla refers to Android as developed and released by Google. Sense is the layer that HTC put on Android to give it a unique look and feel. GB and ICS are different releases of Android which can both have Sense layered on top of them.

Hope that helps..

Al

Upvote 0
just trying this now and love the look of it. hope that the battery lifes ok, if so ill stick with it.

how do i get it to have that front screen above, cant see it in wallpapers. and can i change the 5 icons at bottom of screen? so i can have gmail, messages, contacts, internet and favourites folder as quick launches, instead of voice recorder for instance.

thanks

EDIT: also love the black and blue look, so it seems a shame to have green messaging icons etc. is there a way to change the colours oif those so it all looks super slick? :)

also the pics show 7 icons at the bottom, ive only got 5. how do i change that too? just cant seem to find those options at the mo.

Upvote 0
I don't know what to say. Even full Sense 4 fits in a DHD's 575 MB of system space without re-partitioning, with most of the "Sense bloat" intact. As far as I can tell recall, only HTC Premium Navigation is not present.

I just don't know... it's a shame that they haven't released the source info... the ROM devs could have cooked up some good stuff!! :)

Upvote 0
The theme I used in the Screenshot is the free Sense them which you can use with the Nova or Apwx Launcher. The date display was made with an App called Minimalistic Text. Both available at Google Play.

thanks. installed the minimal text, but cant resize it. set font to 50 dip (max) and the letters are still small.

cant find that sense theme anywhere.

thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones