• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What size/class of SD card should I buy if I want to root?

So, my HTC Wildfire S is driving me CRAZY! There is no internal memory left, even though I have maaaybe 7 apps (totalling about 20 MB) that I downloaded. I hate this phone!

But I can't buy a new one yet, as I can't quite afford it, so right now I'm stuck with it, and since school is ending soon I'm thinking of rooting it over the summer. :p Right now I currently have a 4 GB memory card that's probably Class 2 or something, but that probably won't be sufficient for rooting, right?

How much space should there be on an SD card that I want to use to root? And, what class? 6? 10? Does it really matter?

My rooted Wildfire S has a 16Gb card, split 4GB EXT2 and 12GB FAT32. Apps live in the 4GB partition (Moved/Linked there) and data (Photos, music, movies etc. live in the FAT32 partition. to do the partitioning, install gparted from your repo (Linux), or install parted magic on a USB stick (Windows) Instructions here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-parted-magic-flash-drive-creation-windows/. Be VERY careful that it is the SD card you're working on, and not your HDD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones