• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Size Is Suitable For Galaxy S2?

Intercrew

Oct 16, 2011
Hey guys, I'm going to be making some wallpapers for my samsung galaxy s2 but I'm not sure what size the picture should be once it's completed? I'll be using a few images like 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1920x1200 but in general which images should I use from those sizes? (I won't be using the whole image, just cutting some out).

Thanks! :)

I believe that 960 w x 800 h is the ideal size wallpaper for your phone. However, any of the sizes you listed will work, although your phone may crop some of them a little to get the correct aspect ratio...

My phone is still being shipped, I was wondering if this is that is the size of the image without it having the "moving" effect when sliding through the pages? Cause I've seen a lot of sgs2 videos where the images are actually in a landscape mode through out the pages. Is it possible to have the image just stay put per each page?

Thanks and sorry if this doesn't really make sense.

Upvote 0
My phone is still being shipped, I was wondering if this is that is the size of the image without it having the "moving" effect when sliding through the pages? Cause I've seen a lot of sgs2 videos where the images are actually in a landscape mode through out the pages. Is it possible to have the image just stay put per each page?

Thanks and sorry if this doesn't really make sense.

No, that does make sense. That's how my Evo 3D handles wallpaper (the wallpaper remains the same regardless of home screen). If that's how the Gs2 handles wallpaper as well (someone with one want to chime in here?), the size/aspect ratio I listed above will still work, but the phone will then require you to crop out a large portion of the image horizontally. If this is indeed how the Gs2 works, (or you use an app to set the wallpaper so that it doesn't scroll), then the size you'd ideally want is 480 w x 800 h.

Hope that helps and was clear. :eek:

Edit: After a little poking around, it looks to me like the Sg2, at least stock, uses scrolling wallpaper, and thus I believe that my original suggestion of 960x800 is correct.

It would still be great if someone who has one can confirm this.

That being the case, here's a 960x800 wallpaper template in case you want to get a jump start on a few wallpapers while you're waiting. The red area is what will be entirely visible on your center (home) screen, less a little bit for the notification bar on top and the dock on the bottom.

960x800_wallpaper_template.png

Reactions: Intercrew
Upvote 0
I know that many home replacements/launchers allow you the option of non-scrolling wallpaper. If you don't want to make a change that drastic, IIRC, an app called "Wallpaper Wizardrii" has a setting for non-scroll as well.

Just in case that's the way you want to go, here's a single screen 480x800 template for you as well.

480x800_wallpaper_template.png

Best of luck and fun setting up the new phone!

Upvote 0
On a Samsung device, when selecting a custom wallpaper, it lets you have two options:
1. A portrait wallpaper which does not move even when moving between screens
2. A landscape wallpaper which scrolls along with screens
During the selection, it opens up the picture and gives you two "cropping boxes" which you resize to select which portion of the image you want to use as a wallpaper.

Here's a screenshot of the wallpaper selection:
SC20111107-070448.png

You can see there are two boxes in the bottom. The tall slim one which I have selected is what you want (a non scrolling image). It would only show as wallpaper the area inside the box. The wide box is the scrolling landscape wallpaper cropper.

Size of the image doesnt really matter. It would only matter if you use an alternative launcher, but for default Samsung Touchwiz, just post any picture in there and use it for wallpaper.

Reactions: eyebeam
Upvote 0
Thanks Chanchan! I'd never known that the newer Sammies could do this "out of the box". Very helpful.

Well there ya go, intercrew - Looks like you can have it either way without installing anything additional.

Actually its not just for the newer sammy's. The screen shot is from my Galaxy SL, and my sister's Galaxy Fit has it too. Its a TouchWiz thing. Its something that I find them very unlikely to remove on the newer TouchWiz.

EDIT:

By the way, you can drag the edges of the cropping box to make the covered area larger or smaller.

Reactions: Intercrew
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones