What SMS app does not use the Stock SMS app as a backend

Last Updated:

1. ejpyle

ejpyle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know there was a bug with the stock SMS app which actually drained the battery when not in use, though, I was wondering if some users are still having the same issue after having the maintenance release applied to their device.

Is there an alternate app to use? I read that handcent uses the stock SMS app as a backend. Would any others in the Market not require it?

Advertisement
  2. kurpaige

kurpaige Well-Known Member

It doesn't really use the stock app. Seems the way android works in all the sms messages go to some universial database or something and all of the sms apps pull from the same place to show you the text.

3. joseamirandavelez

joseamirandavelez Well-Known Member

I believe the stock small app was fixed with the previous update...

4. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

They should all pull through the stock app. In other words, you can't remove the stock app. However, you can nearly completely disable it if you're that worried about it, by disabling notifications and auto-retrieve. The MR fixed the issues with the stock app though, and it no longer drains the battery.

5. g2k

g2k Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forums/android/hero.

I keep reading that the updated MR fixed the sms app from draining the battery. I have a couple questions:

1) do I need this update? I'm running:software version1.56.651.2, hardware:0002

2) If I do need the update where would I get it? settings>about>firmware update says there are no updates available.

3) I followed MANY of the suggestions in the max batt life thread but still only get 4-6hrs with an awake time of 47%. I try to kill everything consistently

sense=off, mobile network=on, I love the phone but coming fromm a BB Curve 8330 I'm used to 12-14hrs on 1 charge with heavy use. Any further suggestions?

6. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/26997-task-managers-your-hero.html

Read this, it will help you. Taskkillers are often way over used when I bought my hero the salesman told me to install one first thing. After reading a bunch here about taskkillers, I uninstalled it. My battery lasted 3hrs longer without it.

One thing that really helped was not to just press home when done with an app. You must push the return button until you get back to the home screen. I didn't know that at first... Don't use your taskkiller and see how your battery lasts

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

This information is correct!

8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Download an app called Spare Parts. See what it says is keeping your phone awake.

9. g2k

g2k Member

Apparently I'm too stupid to use spare parts.

I think I want [cpu usage]... [since unplugged]. The item with the most blue is android system followed by android.process.core.

I'm wondering if I'm using spare parts correctly.

Currently my awake time is 27% down from 94%. So thats a good thing, system lag is livable ATM.

It kinda pisses me off that I have to lose HTC sense ui, and jump through all these other hoops just to get 10hr batt life.

3 day heavy use batt life I can understand but 10hrs, geesh gimme a break.