• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What SMS replacements do you guys use?

I use Handcent. The primary feature I like that the stock app lacks is the ability to send pictures in MMS directly from Facebook. Aside from that, the standard app worked pretty well for me.

Are there specific features you're hoping to find? Or to avoid? That may help narrow things down a bit for you.

The main thing I am looking for is looks (the iPhone SMS app actually looks really good... no hate please. :p ) and smoothness. One reason I don't like the stock Sense app is because it has a little dialog box after sending a message (please wait... sending) and it also autohides the keyboard after sending one.

Upvote 0
I'm also interested in this. I haven't downloaded one, but I think I like how SMS Pro looks.

Do these just simply supersede the stock texting app? Also, does it do anything to battery life?

Thanks!

The stock texting app will still be there. You can set the default SMS app to use GoSMS Pro instead of the stock app.

As far as battery usage goes, I really have no idea. Some of the more technical people here may be able to answer that.

Upvote 0
After wanting to run an AOSP rom for so long and taking the plunge I actually switched back to a Sense based rom in a matter of hours because I found I like the Sense messaging app way better lol.

android 4.2 status bar tweaks/tiles
aokp/paranoid android/cm10 all in one rom or seperate
better battery life

for just the sense sms application? it's nothing special except that it looks pretty l0l.

Upvote 0
I use go sms pro and they have an emoji plugin too. You just have to deal with the ads I guess. I wish their was a way to block their number ,but I don't know how..
Touch the icon where the contact picture is > Blacklist. You can then manage the blacklist by being in the conversation list, and then hitting the menu button > Services tab > Tools > SMS Blocker, or just touch the icon on the top left of the screen, and SMS Blocker is one of the options.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
The only thing about the stock texting I don't like is the way the texts sent/received are. They aren't back to back/ on top of one another. All the texts are in like groups...ew. Say i've been texting someone for a few minutes, ALL their texts will show up first then as I scroll up I see a batch of mine, the sent ones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones