• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What speed is everyone running at with the phone being stable?

I've been running at 1ghz w/ the Beast, and so far it's been a thing of beauty. Not a single random restart, but a few FC for random apps which are more than likely their own issues. The hottest I've gotten my Droid was 97F, and that was w/ pretty substantial use. Running at 82F right now. This beauty truly is a beast.

Upvote 0
I've been running at 1ghz w/ the Beast, and so far it's been a thing of beauty. Not a single random restart, but a few FC for random apps which are more than likely their own issues. The hottest I've gotten my Droid was 97F, and that was w/ pretty substantial use. Running at 82F right now. This beauty truly is a beast.

I had 1GHz with BB for a while too and it did work flawlessly, but I think the ROM has an effect on how fast you can go... now with the new sholes 2.0.5 I'm running at 1.2 GHz flawlessly with an average temp of 33C

Upvote 0
Running Sholes 2.0.5 @ 1 GHz stable right now. I'm using Home++ and still getting random FC's (just as I was on stock 2.0.1), but they're not as often and I just hit 'Wait' and it almost instantly recovers. No lock-ups or reboots so far.

This is the Droid I've been looking for.

On a side note, I've been running an app called OS Monitor that throws a CPU load meter up in the taskbar. It's amazing how much CPU power is used just to do simple things like scrolling through contact lists or scrolling the app drawer. Seems like a lot of optimization is still needed w/ the basic Android UI functions.

Upvote 0
Same here. 1.2 Seems stable and wicked fast but the phone can get pretty warm. The temp monitor seems to flake out a little with the new kernel so I don't know if the temps I'm getting are right for the battery but the processor temp right now is 31 deg F so I know that isn't working properly. I had the battery up to over 120 deg F (if it is accurate) under full load (GPS, apps, music, etc.)

Same here I get alot of heat when I go past 1.1GHz full load.

Upvote 0
Seems like a lot of optimization is still needed w/ the basic Android UI functions.

I couldn't agree more. We really shouldn't need to be overclocking to 800/1000/1200 MHz to get our homescreens to be smooth.

I mean, take my PC for example. As I type this, I am tuned to an HD TV channel on my secondary monitor at 720p, and my CPU usage is 3%!

If only Android could even come 1/10 of that optimization, we would be enjoying our Droids even more.

Until then, I'll be running at 1.2GHz tyvm :D

Upvote 0
Wow. I'm shocked that some of the guys here are putting their profiles to lower the CPU at 45 degrees celsius. My temp shows 120-122 F on many occasions, which is 50 degrees celsius. I've put the failsafe at 52 celsius.

On 950 I wasn't getting any force closes at all, at 1GHz I started to get some even at lower temps.

By the way, I had a snap on case, and it raised the temp by about 2-3 degrees F to upwards of 10 degrees F depending on the situation. The more intensive the heat needs to be dissipated, the worse it is to have a rubberized thing covering the back of the phone.

Even with the high temps, at 950 I wasn't getting force closes. I left the back of the case off all day today and that's how I measured the lower temps, but still at 1GHz I was getting force closes. I'm running Bugless Beast.

I might give Sholes a try, I'll have to check it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones