• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Tasker profiles is everyone using?? (This thread is NOT for requesting help with profiles)

i just started getting the hang of tasker with some real simple, gps toggling when entering and exiting apps, what id really like to have is swype in portrait mode in messenging app, and then alternate keyboard in landscape, not sure if this is possible or not? anyone try this?

This is not possible in Tasker, but you can do it using this app. It works great and I have used in on several phones and have been using it since it was in alpha/beta testing.

https://market.android.com/details?...roid.utility.kmLauncher&feature=search_result

Upvote 0
I just got an Atrix last night and bought Tasker. I downloaded several profiles and put them on the sd card in the phone but when I try to import them with Tasker they don't show up. What is the correct path or folder on the sd card to put the profiles in? I tried to make my own but just can't get it right. The downloaded one should do everything I want with some adjustments so I would rather use them.

Thanks,
Tom

Upvote 0
I just got an Atrix last night and bought Tasker. I downloaded several profiles and put them on the sd card in the phone but when I try to import them with Tasker they don't show up. What is the correct path or folder on the sd card to put the profiles in? I tried to make my own but just can't get it right. The downloaded one should do everything I want with some adjustments so I would rather use them.

Thanks,
Tom

/sdcard/Tasker/profiles should do it.

It's worth using the step throughs on the wiki to learn how to create profiles and tasks. I found it very useful to start that way.

Upvote 0
Has anyone else done a "chime on the hour" task? I did try the walk-through for the one at the wiki, but it's from a much older version of Tasker, because some of the tasks (Variable Inc in particular) don't seem to exist, so I can't get it to work. It is a pretty useless task, but it's more for my amusement than anything else, so has anyone got an idea for me?

Upvote 0
Could somebody show me these profiles?

When headphnesplugged in, start music app (stock) and start playing a random song, and when headphones unplugged pause music?

Also: when wall charger plugged in automatically go into vibrate mode?

And: when inrange of my house enable wifi disable bluetooth 3g and gps if enabled?

I have been trying to figure these out. I already figured out enable gps on maps and navigation auto and turn off on exit.

Upvote 0
Could somebody show me these profiles?

When headphnesplugged in, start music app (stock) and start playing a random song, and when headphones unplugged pause music?

Context: Headset plugged
Task: Media - Music play, select a file to start with
Exit task: Media - Music stop

Not sure how to start a random song. Another option is to just launch the music app instead of using the music play task. I don't personally have any music files on my phone (I use Slacker and Pandora for all my music) so I don't know if the music app will automatically start playing when you launch the app.

Also: when wall charger plugged in automatically go into vibrate mode?

Context: Power - AC
Task: Audio - Silent mode - vibrate

And: when inrange of my house enable wifi disable bluetooth 3g and gps if enabled?

Context - Wifi near - enter SSID of you home Wifi network
Task: Misc - GPS set to off, Net - Mobile data 2G/3G set to 2G only, Net - bluetooth set to off

I have been trying to figure these out. I already figured out enable gps on maps and navigation auto and turn off on exit.

That should work

Reactions: Pinmac1
Upvote 0
Just installed Tasker today and looks like I have a LOT of reading to do. But to get me going, hitting a question I'm hoping someone knows the quick answer to:

I set up a gps on/off for apps like 4Square, Checkpoints where it turns on when I run the app & and exit task to turn gps off.

I tried to use it for Waze (a community map/traffic program), but everytime I changed the current screen app (say to my music app) it shut off gps.

Instead I make a task that activates when I plug in my headphones (connected to cassette adapter for the car) to auto turn on gps/bluetooth/brightness to 100%/run Waze, run Astro Player. I did see I can't kill the tasks, but I do turn off gps/bluetooth/lower brightness when I unplug the headset.

Does my 4Square/Checkpoint rule conflict with the headset profile? IE, since the headset is in (gps on) but none of the apps in rule 1 are on (gps off) - does it do a conflict? I assumed an exit rule literally is when the app was on screen and now isn't. So, in theory if I have the headset in AND run 4Square - then when I exit 4Square gps will shut.

Anyhow - in today's test, I noticed that GPS was turning itself on & off constantly. Will reboot & try again tomorrow.

I did notice "if" rules in there, so I don't know if I have to some something like turn off unless other rule is running or put some sort of turn gps off in 30 minutes or something like that.

Lots of reading & playing to do!

Upvote 0
Just installed Tasker today and looks like I have a LOT of reading to do. But to get me going, hitting a question I'm hoping someone knows the quick answer to:

I set up a gps on/off for apps like 4Square, Checkpoints where it turns on when I run the app & and exit task to turn gps off.

I tried to use it for Waze (a community map/traffic program), but everytime I changed the current screen app (say to my music app) it shut off gps.

Instead I make a task that activates when I plug in my headphones (connected to cassette adapter for the car) to auto turn on gps/bluetooth/brightness to 100%/run Waze, run Astro Player. I did see I can't kill the tasks, but I do turn off gps/bluetooth/lower brightness when I unplug the headset.

Does my 4Square/Checkpoint rule conflict with the headset profile? IE, since the headset is in (gps on) but none of the apps in rule 1 are on (gps off) - does it do a conflict? I assumed an exit rule literally is when the app was on screen and now isn't. So, in theory if I have the headset in AND run 4Square - then when I exit 4Square gps will shut.

Anyhow - in today's test, I noticed that GPS was turning itself on & off constantly. Will reboot & try again tomorrow.

I did notice "if" rules in there, so I don't know if I have to some something like turn off unless other rule is running or put some sort of turn gps off in 30 minutes or something like that.

Lots of reading & playing to do!

When you have an app that activates GPS it has to be open on the screen. It takes some work to get around it, otherwise GPS turns off as soon as you open a different app.

For example: I have a car profile that sets a variable %CAR=1 when my car profile is engaged. When %CAR=1 GPS is on. I have several apps that turn GPS on when used like maps, facebook, redbox, etc but an exit task only turns GPS off only if %CAR!=1.

Just let me know if you need more help setting things up.

Upvote 0
When you have an app that activates GPS it has to be open on the screen. It takes some work to get around it, otherwise GPS turns off as soon as you open a different app.

For example: I have a car profile that sets a variable %CAR=1 when my car profile is engaged. When %CAR=1 GPS is on. I have several apps that turn GPS on when used like maps, facebook, redbox, etc but an exit task only turns GPS off only if %CAR!=1.

Just let me know if you need more help setting things up.

Interesting. Sounds like a great way to learn variables!

Ok - added a Variable add %HEADSET=1 when I plug in my headset.
Exit task - Variable Clear %HEADSET

On my gps tasks which fire when certain apps are launched, I turn GPS on when they are on, and set the exit task to turn GPS off if %HEADSET ~ 1.

Giving it a shot today.

Odd, I would have thought that an app exit task would only fire when the task was on the screen & you moved away - not a task that is checked all the time.

Upvote 0
Using GPS to look for your house in order to use wifi is a huge battery hog. I use a combination of two profiles. The first is the "Wifi near" context with my home SSID, and the task is to turn wifi on if it finds it. This will periodically toggle wifi on to search for my home network. If it finds it, it will turn wifi on. However, wifi will not stay on with this profile alone, so I created this second profile:

The context is "Wifi Connected" to my home SSID. The two tasks are "Wifi set to on" and "Variable set %HOMEWIFI to 1". The end tasks are "Variable Clear %HOMEWIFI", "Wait 5 minutes", and "Wifi set to off".

This turns wifi off if the home SSID is missing for over five minutes. I do this so it doesn't turn it off if I just run out to my car and it looses the signal temporarily. This should take care of your wifi issue (and 4G will toggle off if Wifi is on). I don't know how to toggle between 4G and 3G.

I'm confused on this.

How can you use "wifi near" to turn on wifi?

Doesn't your wifi need to be turned on, in order to poll available networks?

Upvote 0
I'm confused on this.

How can you use "wifi near" to turn on wifi?

Doesn't your wifi need to be turned on, in order to poll available networks?

When you choose wifi near as a context there is an option to toggle wifi, make sure that is checked. Then tasker will briefly enable wifi, check for networks in range, then disable wifi.

Upvote 0
I just downloaded the Tasker app from the developers website and would like some info on how to do something, if it is possible.

I have a Droid 2 (R2D2, if it matters) and when I put it in the Car Dock it automatically loads the Car Dock App (which is fine by me) because i use Navigation as my "Added App". What I would like it to do also is to load iHeart Radio app as well, I have iHeart set to load the station I like automatically as well so in theory I want it to Start iHeart, play the station I have preset it to play AND load the Car Dock App like it already does, and when I pull it from the dock I would like it to kill Navigation and iHeart and go back to the home screen. Can I do all this and can someone explain (step by step, please) how to set that to do it if it is possible, as I am still new to Tasker, so far I love all the options it has but it is a bit overwhelming until I get the hang of it too.

BONUS: Also sometimes iHeart stops playing the station when it is running in the background is there a way to make it auto restart the station without bringing it to the foreground again, as I can't really do that safely while driving, unless I come to a stoplight or something like that...

AND DOUBLE BONUS... Navigation's turn by turn directions are still being read while I am on the phone (I use Speaker phone thru my car stereo) is there any way to turn them off while in a call and have them turn back on when the call ends, I don't know if iHeart plays still while in a call but I would also like for it to mute while in call if it does and is possible.

Thanks in advance... J

Upvote 0
For the first one, is it possible to make it say the name of the person who is calling? Because mine just says the number...

i have simple ones. only had the app for two days now.

it reads text while driving. name and body, then send text to sender sayin im driving please call me.
it auto answers calls while driving and starts speaker phone for hands free.
it sends auto text on birthdays (never forget girlfriends b day again)
notification when battery gets to 5% (workin on making this shut things down and save more battery) (also it gives notice on the up charge from 4 to 5%. how do i stop this?):D

i have a few questions.
under misc. there is option for run script. how do u make a script? where do you make them?
i read the help and its not mentioned anywhere.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to make it to that when I'm car docked and I own navigation, mobile data turns on, but turns off once I get my driving directions? I was thinking maybe set the 3g to sty on for 45 seconds. But gps takes different times to lock. What's the best way to do this?

I would insert a wait context of 5 min, that way you get a good gps lock and the directions you need, then add the disable 3g context.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones