• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What the backflip has and doesnt have?

I picked up one today. Did not seem sluggish to me. I've got the Motorola Droid also, and it seemed about the same. No google search, but google voice does work. Does not have Android 2.1. I've had it for several hours now and it has rebooted about 5 times, usually when I'm in camera/video mode. Not sure what the issue is. When I got my Motorola Droid, it rebooted constantly also, and Verizon replaced it, so I'll go by AT&T tomorrow and have them swith it out.
The camera, especially the video, is not as good as my Droid, but I'm happy to have an Android phone and be back on AT&T.

Upvote 0
Played with my phone about a total of 6 hours now putting it through it's paces.

I have had no spontaneous reboots, but the camera app did hang once when I tried to view the pic I had just taken. I got an error message and was then was back to the camera.

I installed an app killer (Advanced Task Killer) from the market and if the response of the phone gets slow it helps to kill all of the stuff running in the background.

Edit: Upon further reading I am not so sure about the use of the Task Killer. If you search you will find lots of posts and info about task killers and Android.

Upvote 0
Edit: Upon further reading I am not so sure about the use of the Task Killer. If you search you will find lots of posts and info about task killers and Android.

Most people here will tell you to NOT use a task killer. The sales rep where I got my phone told me it was a MUST! But like you, after doing some research, I ended up unistalling it and the phone has worked great ever since. Just make sure to keep your cache's cleared out, especially your browser, it can get full fast.

Upvote 0
Most people here will tell you to NOT use a task killer. The sales rep where I got my phone told me it was a MUST! But like you, after doing some research, I ended up unistalling it and the phone has worked great ever since. Just make sure to keep your cache's cleared out, especially your browser, it can get full fast.

Same here, I have had the phone for about 24 hours and at first had no issues. Installed task killer and started getting wierd Force Closes about every few minutes and a few reboots. I did a hard reset and did not install task killer, now it has been 12 hours and not one single FC or reboot.

Upvote 0
it almost sounds like task killer is too much for the phone. I work for big red and we are told app killer is a must too. Is there a lighter program that lets you see open apps and then close them?

It's not that the phone can't handle it. Android doesn't need it like a WinMo phone does. From all the reading I've done, Android OS is good at managing memory on it's own and constantly killing proccesses messes it up. It's not recemmended on even the most high end Android phones.

A thread on why you don't need task killers.
http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/26997-task-managers-your-hero.html

A new Task Killer on the Market.
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...task-killer-people-who-hate-task-killers.html

Reactions: tenio
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones