1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

What the heck is the maps app doing?Support

1. pfp_az

pfp_az Active Member

Mine is a a neglected phone. I spend very little time playing with it and as a result it's almost always just sitting waiting for a call. What I've noticed is that the maps app is one of my top battery hogs and I'm wondering why.

This screen shot below shows a good example. I finished charging the phone to 100%, locked the screen and did absolutely nothing with it till capturing this image. The maps app was not even running, so what is it doing that it accounts for 13% of the battery usage?

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
  2. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Member

Would you happen to have AT&T? Ever since the OTA update, my map has been doing the same thing! What I found was I've had to force stop it in the apps manager and that would usually correct it.
  3. cowboy78

cowboy78 Member

Yes, I have been getting this too (ATT). Even with GPS turned off.
  4. pfp_az

pfp_az Active Member

Yes I have ATT.
  5. mudball

mudball Member

Is your GPS always on? Mine is and maps is at 18%.
  6. Ches111

Ches111 Well-Known Member

There are a LARGE number of apps that request the ability to use "Location Services". For instance Google Chrome. These apps could be waking to find location to be prepared to offer you the local information you require.

I would look at which other applications you have (look for wakelocks). I suspect you have an application on statrup that puts itself in the background and queries your location on some pre-determined interval.
    pfp_az likes this.
  7. Ches111

Ches111 Well-Known Member

Just a note:

If all you are using is 5% after 2.5 hours that is not too bad.
  8. GTWalling

GTWalling Well-Known Member

Also if you have Latitude on in maps it will ping every so often for your location.
  9. pfp_az

pfp_az Active Member

10. happyarthur79

happyarthur79 Well-Known Member

Either force close maps or disable GPS while your not using it. While at work I disable GPS and mobile data because the signal is rubbish and after a 12 hour shift I still have 90% battery remaining.
  11. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Any location based things get lumped into maps. Its not actually maps causing the issues
  12. Cvall91

Cvall91 New Member

5% drain after 2 and a half hours of no use is not that bad in my opinion. It might be showing 18% but that's probably because the battery loss is so low that anything can have a high number. It is probably a setting like others have said. But nothing to go crazy over.