• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What the heck?? Updated and everything GONE

baldman

Lurker
Jun 7, 2010
I woke up tihs morning to a message on the phone "Your phone has been update to 3.2.other numbers I forgot" No biggie... until I press OK and look at the phone.
No contacts
No Facebook
No recognition of apps on SD card - in fact, the apps on my SD card aren't even listed anymore!

It's almost like the update reset the phone to factory settings. OK if I asked for it, but it sent it down automatically. Anyone else find this??

I woke up tihs morning to a message on the phone "Your phone has been update to 3.2.other numbers I forgot" No biggie... until I press OK and look at the phone.
No contacts
No Facebook
No recognition of apps on SD card - in fact, the apps on my SD card aren't even listed anymore!

It's almost like the update reset the phone to factory settings. OK if I asked for it, but it sent it down automatically. Anyone else find this??

Very strange, are you "rooted" ? running a custom rom? Neither should affect this but its good to know.

Official OTA (over the air)updates ask if you want to update. the last one (for Verizon) was 6 months ago now and updated to 2.2, as far as I know the OTA does not wipe data...

Upvote 0
Baldman and everyone else,

If anyone has had this happen to their phone please post a comment.

First I called Verizon. The first tech support person was not able to help. Her supervisor was no better; she told me all smart phone updates are from the manufacturer and they blank the phone; she knows because that is what happens on her blackberry!
Next I call HTC and they say it is a service provider OTA update and not from HTC!
So we get a round of finger pointing meanwhile my phone is hosed!
Can anyone recomend an SD card backup ap so I don't get caught like this again?
I will go th the verizon store tomorrow morning but I don't expect much help.
My currnet phone settings are:
Android version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel version 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16
htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149#1
Build number 3.26.605.1CL264707 release-keys
Software number 3.26.605.1
Browser version Webkit 3.1
PRI Version1.28_002
PRL Version5192
ERI Version 5

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.
Ramike

Upvote 0
Baldman and everyone else,

If anyone has had this happen to their phone please post a comment.

First I called Verizon. The first tech support person was not able to help. Her supervisor was no better; she told me all smart phone updates are from the manufacturer and they blank the phone; she knows because that is what happens on her blackberry!
Next I call HTC and they say it is a service provider OTA update and not from HTC!
So we get a round of finger pointing meanwhile my phone is hosed!
Can anyone recomend an SD card backup ap so I don't get caught like this again?
I will go th the verizon store tomorrow morning but I don't expect much help.
My currnet phone settings are:
Android version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel version 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16
htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149#1
Build number 3.26.605.1CL264707 release-keys
Software number 3.26.605.1
Browser version Webkit 3.1
PRI Version1.28_002
PRL Version5192
ERI Version 5

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.
Ramike

updates are built by htc but issued from verizon wireless (it's their network). It sounds like you received the OTA that came out in november, do you have more bloatware on your phone (slacker, amazon mp3)?
"My backup pro" comes pretty well recommended for backing up your phone.

Upvote 0
sdrawcab25,
Yes I now have Amazon MP3 and some other crap, Vcast shit as well.
Any idea why an old OTA update is still being pushed by Verizon?
There was a rash similar to the one baldman and I experienced in February as well.
Many other people have been getting this random "update" that disables and deletes apps and data. Thank you very much Verizon!!!
This is really weird Verizon must be pushing it untill every phone has all their crapware.
Thanks for the tip on My backup pro, iwill give it a try.
Ramike

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me on Wed April 13. I was happy to see the update, now I am pissed.

I Called Verizon, the rep was perplexed and called someone else. Their recomendation was to re install all the APPS.

I use App Brain and was able to "Update" the apps back on to my phone. But when i try to move them back to the SD card the phone Returns an error "Failed to move Application" Now i have the app on my phone and the SD card.

Upvote 0
A couple of days ago I woke up and my phone said that it was going to restart after an ota had been pushed. I was half asleep when I clicked okay but realized that this might f up my phone. Pulled my battery before anything happened and my phone was saved from whatever nonsense you all are dealing with. I feel lucky cos my phone is tricked out with Cyanogen nightly 41.

Upvote 0
Happened to me also on the 21st of april. Booted phone and said update was done. His ok and it hosed my phone. Now all SD card stored apps are gone, probably 90% of my apps force close on me, Many of my contacts gone, Facebook seems to have reverted to the version that came on the phone. This is CARP be it from Verizon or HTC. Just as I suspected, neither knows what's going on and their answer is to reinstall everything. I want the old software back. Won't do any good to reinstall if everything FC's. Tried a few of the apps reinstall and get FC's on them all. Anybody out there got an answer yet? Been thinking about rooting, maybe a good time since I gotta redo everything anyhow. Oh and none of my backups I had will work either (apps FC). Thanks for letting me rant.....

Upvote 0
This happened to me on Monday. VZW couldn't figure it out, so they sent me a "certified like new phone". While waiting, I unrooted, did a factory reset, and the phone worked fine again, so I refused the package. Last night, the same thing happened, every app force closes, even after doing a factory reset and re-downloading them, so they sent out another CLN phone which I should get Tuesday.

Upvote 0
I don't know why so many people are chimming in on this. nothing is happening to me. i am rooted w/ CM7 nightlies. I do get some weird FC's lately. But then again as i have stated, I am ROOTED and modded with ROMS, Kernels, and themes. It is interesting to me because I never got an OTA update like you guys. I guess I had mine in November...why would they push 2.2 again??????

Upvote 0
I don't know why so many people are chimming in on this. nothing is happening to me. i am rooted w/ CM7 nightlies. I do get some weird FC's lately. But then again as i have stated, I am ROOTED and modded with ROMS, Kernels, and themes. It is interesting to me because I never got an OTA update like you guys. I guess I had mine in November...why would they push 2.2 again??????

it's not 2.2, it's the november maintenance update. Some people are just getting it now for some reason, as confirmed by them now having all the extra bloatware that came with it that they didn't have before they received the update.

Upvote 0
This JUST happened to me this morning. My phone kept looping a reboot. And it wouldn't turn on. I pulled the battery, but the same thing happened. I went to the Verizon store and they didn't even look at it...just ordered me a new(refurb) phone! I hate when people won't even look at a problem and try to fix it.

Anyway, while I was at the store, I got that update too. And everything was FC'ing. Now, it finally was able to turn on, but everything is wiped....well some of the apps don't exist any longer and all my contacts are gone...it's the old market, and I have to re-enter all my info for facebook, etc. My mail still seems to be set up...but....grrrr....I should get the new phone next week.

What happened??? What is this? This is so not right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones