What this phone needs: A replacement backplate??Accessories

Would you purchase a more grippy backplate to replace the factory one, provided the price was right?

1. Yes!! Let's see if we can get someone to make one!!

35 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. No. I like gloss on the back of my phone, or don't mind the thicker cases.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%

Last Updated:

1. SirKronan

SirKronan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

All righty, post here (or vote) if you agree with this ...

There are few things in cellphone land I hate more than taking phone with a slim form factor akin to the iPhone and putting on a case that makes it more bulky!!!

I like the grip feel of the Eris and the Droid X, and the Incredible. But to add a nice padded grip like that to the fascinate requires us to buy a case that also makes the device thicker or heavier.

Would you guys like to see a complete REPLACEMENT for the back panel? One that has that nice rubbery, non-fingerprinty, non-easily scratchable glossy business on the back??

I would pay some money for something like that. If they could make a grippy back replacement I would be all over that. Post or vote if you would too!!!

Again, I don't want a case for this, but something that actually replaces the backplate without making the phone more bulky.

Advertisement
  2. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

There might be a DYI fix, that I may try, if I do, I'll post pictures!

There is this stuff called Plasti-dip spray, and it's a black spraypaint like stuff that dries into a platic-rubbery finish, much like that on the phones mentioned.

I'll keep you guys updated, or if you guys are more handy with spraypaint you may want to try it. Good thing is, if it looks bad or you mess up, when it dries, it peels off really easily if you try.

Oh, and those worried about bulk, this stuff goes on so thin, I wouldn't be surprised that if you put on one coat, when it dries, you'd still be able to read Galaxy S on the back.

3. glroze

glroze Well-Known Member

gotta agree with you here, my fascinate and vibrant both feel like they are more than willing to squirt out of my hand like a watermelon seed....it certainly doesn't inspire a feeling of confidence while holding it.
    the vibrant came with an extra back but it's just a different color, otherwise it's the same.

4. d1c1ple

d1c1ple Well-Known Member

agree... i like the body-glove; but it adds some weight and thickness to the device

5. SirKronan

I would be willing to give this a try, but it worries me when you say it peels of really easily .... Wouldn't it peel off easily rubbing around in a pocket or sweaty hand??

I'd much rather have a solid piece that just replaces the stock back. Thanks for the votes so far, guys & gals!

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

SK sound like a Mod Project ....[H]
    Unanimous votes so far; even if mine is still naked.

7. nunyazz

nunyazz Well-Known Member

I am using a skin on the back to help with grip. Work pretty well.

8. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

I agree it would be better to have a solid piece.

And I'm pretty sure it would be fine in your pocket or in your hand, it just peel away fairly easily when you start picking at it and pulling. If you keep your phone in your pocket with your keys, it would probably start chipping and or peeling after about a few weeks.

9. SirKronan

That would be the next best thing. If you hold my Fascinate just right, it's got scratches all over the back now. I took a good look at it last night and gasped in dismay. The screen is still perfect, further supporting my point. I'm going to do some asking around and see if anybody has resources to do this ... I am starting to hate the glossy back. I haven't had time to put on my cheap Stealth Guard yet.

10. intense

intense Well-Known Member

Just received my fascinate today and I hope they release better backplates. i'm switching over from an iPhone and I must say this phone feels cheap because of the plastic backplate. I may either pick up a case or try to find a custom backplate.

11. oneiztoomany

oneiztoomany Well-Known Member

12. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

that looks pretty good

13. oneiztoomany

oneiztoomany Well-Known Member

i was hunting for a nice looking one because one of the things i am on the fence about with getting a fascinate is the back of it. dont care for how easy it gets finger prints.

14. SirKronan

15. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Hmmm. link is from Fommy who has a less than stellar rep too

16. gingergirl

gingergirl Well-Known Member

DEFINITELY would LOVE this!! A total back replacement with a "soft touch" black back like the lg dare had... If someone could dream this one up... I'M IN!

17. SirKronan

Thanks for chiming in!! We got a couple of "no" votes. Definitely some people that like the glossy look. Nothing wrong with that! I just want people who hate the gloss to have another option.

18. SirKronan

I notice there are several new "no" votes. Is this because you like the added thickness of external cases? I'm assuming that would be for additional drop protection.

19. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah the no does have that "or" in it. So it could be some like gloss and some dont mind a bit of thickness

20. Jodiuh

Jodiuh Well-Known Member

Should have made poll public so we would know who to put on our ignore list.

SirKronan and saps like this.
  21. saps

saps Well-Known Member

:pOh that was a good one. I actually LOL'd

22. SirKronan

Hahah. You're right there. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this matter. Like I said above, some people don't mind extra thickness to protect their expensive hardware.

I LOATHE making such a slim device thicker. Perhaps if it weren't already large to begin with. A 4" screen is big. You're not just adding a little bit of thickness. You're adding over FOUR INCHES of thickness to your phone. Really makes it feel much larger. I tried one of those rubber skins on it. Hated how large it made the phone look and feel in my hand.

23. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Yes! I want one NOW!!!

24. SirKronan

Bumpity to get some more votes, one way or another.

25. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

I personally don't have a problem with the the slick back. Its never slid out of my hand or anything.

But I do have my plasti-dip stuff, so I will try this out in the near future and I will post a how-to guide for anyone interested to use.

saps likes this.