1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

What to Back Up before Master Reset?

1. Wally World

Wally World Well-Known Member

I have my contacts backed up via Backup Assistant and all my pictures, etc. are on my sd card. Do I need to backup anything else before doing a master reset?

Advertisement
  2. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

I assume you are not rooted?
  3. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Get Z4Root, root that badboy, then get Titanium Back-Up and Bootstrap Recovery by Koush. Go into TiBU and do back up of all system + data. Then go into Bootstrapper and create a nandroid.

Also, get AppBrain and sync all your apps to the cloud. These are the 3 steps I take before I wipe data. Don't trust Backup Assistant for everything, it doesn't restore data, just your apps (and I've had trouble with it restoring all my apps in the past). If you have them all saved on AppBrain, then you'll always have them.
  4. Wally World

Not rooted.
  5. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Backup your contacts which you have already done. Install Appbrain from the market to backup your apps. Not sure if you care about text messages but there are apps you can buy from the market to back them up as well.
    Wally World likes this.
  6. Outlaw71

Does that mean you don't want to? Or just haven't yet. Z4Root couldn't be any easier. The way I rooted my phone the 1st time... well it was really involved, I was doing things that were way over my head, and it was kinda scary. Z4 is a click of a button and you're rooted. Soooo easy.

But if you don't want to root, then I guess AppBrain is the only other thing besides Backup Assistant that you can do. That I know of anyway.
  7. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member

SMS Backup+ is a free app that's absolutely awesome for backing up texts.
    Wally World likes this.
  8. Outlaw71

Oh... I never really care about backing up my texts so I guess that's why I never knew about that one. Good find though.

It's a non-root app then?
  9. Rick2179

Rick2179 Well-Known Member

Z4Root is nolonger on the market, where can you get it now?
  10. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member

Aye. It backs them up to your gmail and you can set it up to automatically back up new ones. Very convenient when switching ROMs haha.

At xda forums.
    Rick2179 likes this.
  11. Outlaw71

Here...

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Download the apk (you can do this directly from your phone, no need for a computer), then open it and hit 'Run App' and it should show up in your app drawer.

Good luck!

Edit : Oooops, sorry mlclm... didn't see you'd responded already.
    Rick2179 likes this.
  12. sharpgator

sharpgator Well-Known Member

App Brain...Does it restore the details/preferences in your apps or just the basic apps? So, for example, would it just restore the basic Handcent or would it also restore the colors I have chosen for incoming/outgoing messages?

Thanks.

BTW. I have a replacement device on the way. My GPS location has died. I have done hard resets, soft resets, and tried many of the remedies offered here...all with no luck.
  13. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

It'll just download the app itself. Some apps (very few) have an option in their menu to back up the settings of the program to your sdcard. For most, you'll need Titanium Backup (requires root) to back up the program's data/settings. It was mentioned earlier in this thread, and it's HIGHLY recommended; don't be afraid to root your phone :]
  14. Wally World

Thanks. Did master reset and somehow all my apps came back. Google had some back up assistant that did this.
  15. Ron H

Ron H Well-Known Member

You can get MyBackup Pro from the Market. It will back up your apps (which really isn't necessary, as you found out), but it will also back up all your system settings, emails, bookmarks, SMS, call log, calendar, alarms, etc.

It will back them up to your SD card, the cloud, or both.
  16. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

17. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Some people commented on the inability for MyBackup Pro to restore their Angry Birds scores. I have both pro versions and find Titanium is better for restoring individual apps data. The paid version of Titanium keeps more than one backup.