What to backup before flashing a custom ROM?

1. fezzle

fezzle Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since I've flashed a ROM on any phone. So here's a few questions that I cannot seem to find answers to:

1. With Titanium Backup, do I want to "backup all user apps" or "backup all user apps + system data?"
    2. Do I need to backup the content on the internal and/or external SD cards?
    3. Is there a way to backup my current homescreen layout?
    4. Other than SMS messages, is there anything else to consider backing up?

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Munnarg

Munnarg Well-Known Member

1. I wouldn't recommend backing up system data. I only backup my apps and that's it.
    2. You should back it up to your external sd card in the even that you have to factory reset your device or use Odin to restore it to stock.
    3. Not sure. Some launchers have the option to backup the layout and settings.
    4. As long as you use Dropbox or Google+ to automatically backup your photos and videos, that should be it.
  3. youdoofus

youdoofus Disabled

1. More important than TiB, you should know what to b/u in recovery the first time you flash a new rom. After root, you should definitely backup the radios when making a nand
    2. Id backup your sd card regardless because a wonky install can corrupt EVERYTHING on your sd card. Its not common, but its happened...
    3. When i flash my nands on my evo, it restores my homescreen layout, and as i recall when playing with a friends S2, it did the same thing, so one would imagine that itd be the same for the S3.
    4. Its always wise to have your s--t backed up to another source when messing with something that can potentially wipe or corrupt your sd card