What to buy for my 11 year old son.

Last Updated:

1. Shamrock454

Shamrock454 New Member This Topic's Starter

I am a lifelong IT professional and a very happy owner of an EVO 4G. Unfortunately, my 11 year old son LOVES my phone as well, and nabs it every chance he gets. This is not an ideal situation, given a "Wookie Howl" ringtone turns a lot of heads at a business meeting. With Christmas coming, I want to get him a device of his own, but not a phone. He has hinted about the Ipod Touch, but I depise the thought of drinking the Steve Jobs kool-aid and buying anything from that tech nazi.

So with a pile of Android devices out there, what is the best device for my son, in the 100 - 200 dollar price range? Hopefully something that supports 2.2, so he doesn't lose any functionality from my phone. The reviews on Amazon & Newegg are basically useless, as they are full of frustrated Droid noobs bashing what they don't understand.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Shamrock454

Advertisement
  2. daprospecta

daprospecta Member

I would get him the cheap 100$ tablet from walgreens. If your son is anything like I was at 11(technology inclined for a kid and curious) then he will probably break it within a year figuring out how the thing works like I did with my first pc. He probably won't notice the lag like we would or that it has less Ram than most tablets, he'll just be happy to have a tablet that's his. Just my two cents. GL on your decision.

3. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

I'm in virtually the same boat. I'm leaning towards the archos 43 or 70 for my 10 and 11 year olds. I know the 70 is above your price stated, but it really seems great on paper so far. We'll see this week.

I considered the $100 walgreens one also...but I spend enough time working on my own stuff. I don't want to deal with research and roms. :)

4. jtbnet

jtbnet Well-Known Member

What about the B&N Nook Color, due to be released in stores end of this week maybe next... at $249...

It should fly and should fly higher with 2.2 ported which probably won't take long as the proc is the bastard brother of the one in the Droidx (sans camera interface);

7" 1024 x 600 capacitive touchscreen VividView LCD
    CPU TI OMAP 3621 ARM Cortex A8-based 800MHz
    512 MB RAM
    802.11n/g/n WiFi adapter
    8 GB internal storage memory
    Weight: 15.8 ounces
    8 hours rated battery with the WiFi turned off
    mono speaker
    3.5 mm stereo headphone jack

If the screen is as nice as some reviewers have stated then this is a BIG winner especially once OC'd and running 2.2... sure doesn't seem to be anything holding that porting effort back once they are readily available... This is a Samsung Galaxy Tab Wifi killer I suspect at half the price....

5. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

I am waiting to see what can be done with it first. It's a possibility.

I will need to see that it can do calendar and email and some games/media before I go with it. I don't know if it competes as much as B&N wants when it is $30 cheaper than the archos 70.

6. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

I know a lot of folks hate Apple, I used to be one of them, but the iPod Touch 4G for a kid is a great device. There are plenty of free games available for it including Kindle and Nook software to read books. It's portable, fits in a pocket, you can get an Otterbox cover for it, etc.

Like you, my kids love to play with my phone and after seeing my brother's kid get one, I'm sold on the idea. The Nook Color is also a great option but since I've not seen it in person, I'm on the fence until they are available in stores. I'm sure B&N would allow you to return it if you're not satisfied with the device. The best thing about buying an iPod or Nook Color is that the companies involved will maintain these products. All these other tablets don't seem to be maintained in the same manner. Not only that, the support you'll get from either of these companies is top notch compared to some offshore company.

7. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

dont need to buy for him [​IMG]