What to do before OTA? Have never rooted the phone in any way. [NOOB]

Last Updated:

1. dc006

dc006 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so, forgive me, but I am trying to decipher this and I am not exactly sure what the straight answer is. I have looked through many threads, but I havn't been able to cobble it together. I am willing to accept the fact that I just might be a moron when it comes to this process.

I got my Incredible two days before it was released (pre-ordered) and have not rooted or done anything to it other than accept that one OTA a long time ago that fixed the Exchange Bug.

Can someone dumb this down for me? What are the exact steps that I should take to reach my goal:

My goal. Not have to reload my phone (aka not lose my settings and etc), get rooted so I can wifi tether, accept the 2.2 OTA, and then still be able to wifi tether after with root access. I'd like to have the option to install ROM's and etc in the future if I decide to proceed further.

Right now, i'm not ready for the full world of ROM's and etc. I just want to do what I laid out above.

Your help would be greatly accepted and you can also make fun of me if you want. LOL. I just want to achieve my goal.

Advertisement
  2. alarson83

alarson83 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what id like to do too, and would appreciate any help.

3. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

You should do the unrevoked & unrevoked forever installs. Forever makes sure that you can regain root after the ota. You can search the forums for steps, or check my site in my signature for detailed instructions.

4. alarson83

how do you regain root after the ota (assuming you did the unrevoked\unrevoked forever)?

From what i can see its:
    1. unrevoked
    2. unrevoked forever
    3. unroot with pb31img.zip on sd card
    4. Accept OTA
    5. ???

Am i missing anything else (other than step 5?)

5. dc006

dc006 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I can figure out these steps no prob.

1. unrevoked
    2. unrevoked forever

This is what I don't understand. Since I have never installed or flashed anything do I need to do step 3?

3. unroot with pb31img.zip on sd card
    4. Accept OTA
    5. ???

6. alarson83

Good call. I was actually just wondering if i need to do step 3 as well. Do you need to un-root to accept the OTA? And if you have to do this, will it wipe everything on your phone?

7. DizkoDan

You should not need to "unroot" if you havent flashed anything. The ota will still come to you, and when it installs, you'll lose root. Unrevoked forever keeps your nand unlocked. So even if the OTA blocks root, you can regain it. Read up here :public:forever [RootWiki]

8. alarson83

So, how will one regain root afterwards?

And, to confirm, having the custom recovery put in place by unrevoked wont be a problem with the OTA?

9. DizkoDan

Did you read the link I provided? It's all explained there. I don't mean to sound rude, but you gotta do a little foot work here ;)

10. alarson83

Actually, thats exactly why i had the question, as it tells you to install the official recovery, (the pm31img.zip) that it sounded like you were saying we didnt need to use

11. DizkoDan

In theory, you shouldn't need to, as the ota is going to replace all of that. But it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to unroot first.