What to do? What to do?

Last Updated:

1. Drayton

Drayton Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm sure a thread has been made with this question before, but I needed an answer for myself. I've had a physical keyboard on my phones my entire life, and I was wondering if anybody thinks I would miss it with the Droid X. My brother has the original Motorola droid and he rarely uses the physical keyboard. I'm pretty good with the touch screen keyboards on my computer and iPod. I'm just loving that big Droid X screen and can't be sure if I should wait around for the Droid 2?

Additional Question: Does anybody know when you'll be able to preorder the Droid X at a verizon store? I'd rather not do it at bestbuy.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

i dont miss it...no use for it anymore w/android for me.

Drayton likes this.
  3. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Once you get used to a on screen keyboard you will not miss a physical keyboard at all.

Drayton likes this.
  4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea u wont miss it. I thought I needed a physical one too cuz of bad experiences I had with a phone with a bad touch screen.

As long as the screen is good, it will be fine.

Drayton likes this.
  5. Drayton

Drayton Active Member This Topic's Starter

I know the Droid 2 has a smaller screen and it probably won't have any advantages besides being released with 2.2 and a physical keyboard, so you're all saying I shouldn't bother waiting for that?

6. Whiteboyx69

Whiteboyx69 Well-Known Member

I think the only reason for a keyboard would be for emulators.

7. Gamble

Gamble Well-Known Member

Wait until you try out Swype. You might forget all about having a physical keyboard on a phone..

8. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^+1

Yea, it might look gimmicky....I was like wtf is this?!?! lol But this is one of the first apps I install in any new ROM for me Droid.

9. blugrss4ever

blugrss4ever Well-Known Member

I'm one of those users who was very insecure about the touch keyboard, but went ahead and bought an Incredible (but, hey, I also bought my first used stick shift car before I learned how to work the transmission). I would recommend downloading an app called myTextSpeed from the android market. It helps with accuracy, speed etc. -- honestly I don't miss the hard keyboard at all after a few weeks of texting, and just a little bit of time on that app for practice. It takes some getting used to, but it's not so bad. I'm returning the incredible, BTW, and getting my hands on a Droid X.

10. jazz1266

jazz1266 Active Member

1Q`aq"{?
    |47\
    ]NHYJUGTFVR

11. Steven58

12. Whiteboyx69

Whiteboyx69 Well-Known Member

13. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

My wife had her env1 for 3 years she was scared to goto a touch..... cause she is a HEAVY texter ...now has my old inc. and she loves it...

14. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I came from a Touch Pro with a decent keyboard and have an Incredible for a month (changing to X soon) and didn't miss it at all.

Swype makes things very easy.

Also, the added benefit, at least for me, was, with swype, there's no need to rotate the phone into landscape and use 2 hands to type effectively.

15. sanjeeva7

sanjeeva7 Well-Known Member

With a screen this size I hope it's not a problem. I am using a full sized QWERTY on a LG Voyager. It will just take time getting used to. I'm sure you have seen the posts but my only concern is the X that it may not be fully rooted - but it's not an issue for 95% of users.

16. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

yeah on screen keyboards are so much nicer IMO i used to have a physical keyboard and now ive been using touch screens and dont miss it at all

17. Garemlin

Garemlin Well-Known Member

Had a full touch on AT&T (Samsung Eternity) and it was hard to work with. Switched to an Impression. Swore I wouldn't have a phone w/o a physical qwerty. Well going from a 3.1 to a 3.7" screen makes a world of difference. The virtual keyboard on my Droid is sooo easy to work with. I have actually never used the physical kb. Tried it a few times but hated it. Can imagine that using the keyboard on a 4.3" screen would be a dream.

18. soapinmouth

soapinmouth Well-Known Member

19. kennyyu

kennyyu Well-Known Member

Honestly i missed the physical keyboard. After selling my INC last week and using BB curve for that time being, i've realized that i actually miss the physical keyboard. But the onscreen is just as good. I just feel like i like the tactical feedback i get with physical. Don't like keeping vibrate on for haptic feedback cuz i dont want to make it vibrate all the time

20. Steven58

Wait. What? Kenny? You backed out of your inc too? Splain!

21. kennyyu

yea.. i had a droid for a lil while before the inc. The call quality on the INC blowedd. I tried using my INC to make a couple calls to my sales rep that i order through for my job and he couldnt hear me. So, kind of pointless for me to have a phone i can't handle business on. (btw the land lines in the office were being used by our 2 receptionists)

22. kennyyu

O yea and with previous experiences with motorola phones, i expect their call quality to be above average