What to do with Old phones

Last Updated:

1. MrPassion

MrPassion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm sad for my Instinct, it's been good to me and through no fault of it's own it gets abandoned. In the past I have found good new homes for my oudated phones but because the Instinct requires a expensive data plan I don't see someone wanting it as a hand me down.

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

recycle it. sprint offers a recycling program as well as other carriers. you can take it to a thrift shop and claim it as a tax deduction. RS offers trade ins on handsets as well as best buy... plenty of options....

3. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

If you're not concerned with getting money for it, I think I read the Evo comes with an envelop to recycle the phone. Or you could donate it, I'm not sure how that works, but I imagine there's somewhere that phone could go, whether or not whoever gets those donated phones are required to get data plans too, I don't know.

4. Dose

Dose Well-Known Member

Trade it In...Best Buy Seems to give more than Sprint...Atleast with the Hero BB said 118 and sprint said 80....Trade it in...Buy some Add ons for your new evo

5. RedsGT

RedsGT Well-Known Member

6. ekt8750

ekt8750 Well-Known Member

craigslist

7. Edricflo

Edricflo Well-Known Member

I got a BB Bold, any takers?

8. Woodleydog

Woodleydog Member

They also make GREAT movie and music players for kids!

My daughter watches videos on the ol' Centro in the car sometimes...

9. avengence

avengence Well-Known Member

Sell it. I am going to sell my iPhone for about 200 dollars. I am sure there is someone that can put your phone to good use.

10. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

11. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

12. TeamPEZ

TeamPEZ Well-Known Member

Why not donate them to your local woman and child shelter where they refurbish them and give them to the ones in need? You won't get any money for them, but you would get a piece of mind knowing you may have made a difference in someone's life.

I'm just saying.

Ky1e.YC, reneeb and sikclown like this.
  13. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

^ As a college kid paying out-of-state tuition, I can only splurge on these kinds of things every so often, so the $63 bucks I get from my Pre will help. I did donate my Instinct to Womenspace, though. Good suggestion for those who don't need the extra cash!

14. HarryKeogh

HarryKeogh Active Member

iPhone 3G will be going on Craigslist. Money I get should pay for the EVO in full.

15. nitussi

nitussi Active Member

Get rid of it, don't become like me..

[​IMG]

..and I have 5 more older phones at my mom's house.

16. jkmbaum

jkmbaum Active Member

Bestbuy is giving me $116 gift card for my Palm Pre'.

17. Clock

Clock Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to hold onto my old Touch Pro and forgo insurance on my EVO.

18. gnarlyDUCK

gnarlyDUCK Well-Known Member

Heres what im doing with my Hero:

+ Installing a dock for the Hero up on a living room wall or table.. and using Gmote on the HTPC and my server. This way the Hero will essentially work as a remote for both PCs, stay charged and on my WLAN. (You may ask.. why dont I just use the Evo w/gmote: In the scenario that Im on the phone... or replying to email etc.. someone else has the option to use the Hero as a remote.) Gmote will also take place of my wireless keyboard and mouse... and also replace my want of one of those Gyro mice.

+ Configuring GoogleVoice w/Skype via Gizmo5 on the Hero (voip phone). Im doing this mainly for my gfs sake; with Google Voice you can add many phone numbers to the account to ring at any designated phone. My gf usually has her phone silent (i have no idea why), and misses MANY calls from mutual friends... who end up calling my phone to talk to her. Since she spends most of her time in the living room.. i figured this would be a great solution.

+ House (living room) cam for parties and get togethers. Take pics and share them right then and there with everyone. Have apps of all sort for sharing (Bump). Digital cameras are great, but when you want to post or share something on the fly... using a smartphone works perfectly.

Again, most of you will probably ask.. why dont I use the Evo. The answer is.. I will already be using it aside from the Hero. It will still be my main phone, it will still hold the apps i use, where as the Hero will serve more purpose as a media aid at the house. :)
    The way I see it is, most HTPC users go out and buy $100 wireless devices for their HTPCs or touchscreen remotes/panels... well.. the Hero is will do all of that plus some for me.

cmanbrazil likes this.
  19. zamardii12

zamardii12 Well-Known Member

I would never just give a phone away... especially not recycle it. I found my old Instinct in the storage box under my bed and put it up on ebay and got $100 for it. Think about it, people who have damaged their phone, who don't have insurance, a some ond aren't eligible for a upgrade need to buy a phone... so there will always be a demand for used phones. My suggestion is to put it up on Ebay and offset some of that cost for your Evo.

20. zamardii12

zamardii12 Well-Known Member

21. asillmon

asillmon Active Member

I'm using the trade in program at RadioShack and I'm getting $57 for my BlackBerry Curve 8330 and I'm using it towards the purchase of my Evo.

22. jwilly

jwilly Member

I usually try to give mine to a charity, make sure you wipe it clean so that there is nothing left that is personal on it.

Most charities will take old cell phones and I am pretty sure that if they can't use them they recycle them to help fund their operations.

23. cmanbrazil

cmanbrazil Well-Known Member

I didn't even know best buy took trade in's.:eek: If they will take my phone, it will definitely go towards the purchase or the accessories.

24. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

This sounds very interesting. You can still use Google Voice on a phone that doesn't have a phone number? I'm assuming you're moving the Hero phone number over to your EVO. When your girlfriend's phone gets a call and you have it forwarded to your phone, won't your EVO ring instead of the Hero?

25. MrPassion

MrPassion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Because the Instinct requires an expensive data plan.