What to do with the phone when traveling overseas

Last Updated:

1. darkangelwingz

darkangelwingz New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I will be traveling to Europe in a few days and I want to take my phone with me but I want to avoid getting a bunch of extra charges. I already called TMobile and the told me to turn the phone off when I'm not using it, because I'll get charged for any incoming calls even if I don't answer them. I'm wondering though, if there's any way of turning off the "phone" without turning off the actual phone. I'd still like to use the alarm and calculator, etc but I don't care about using the phone or internet. Help!

Advertisement
  2. ZenPit

ZenPit Well-Known Member

You could always have them unlock it, so you could use an international sim card?

And maybe Airplane mode might work? With wireless on?? I'm not sure.

3. skwerm

skwerm Well-Known Member

When I was in Europe I left my phone on, just left all data connections off. Definitely turn data roaming off.

4. darkangelwingz

So is Airport Mode just like having the phone off? I will not be using the phone since I'll be taking my laptop and will buy a calling card once I get there. I just want to be able to use the stuff that don't require network, like camera, currency converter, alarm, and mp3 player.

5. ZenPit

ZenPit Well-Known Member

Oh then just turn your network stuff off. You can just add the power management widget, and I believe it has most of the stuff, and then you can go into your settings and change the other things :)

6. darkangelwingz

But I want to make sure I don't get charged for any stuff I don't have control over, like when there's incoming calls or when the phone automatically picks up connections.

7. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Just put it into Airplane mode and leave it that way. Airplane mode disables ALL radios: phone, data, wifi, bluetooth and gps. I *think* you can toggle wifi on and off without taking it out of Airplane mode.

darkangelwingz likes this.
  8. darkangelwingz

Airplane mode ehh, I wasn't sure if it disabled EVERYTHING the same way as turning off the phone does. I will def try that. Thanks for your help!

9. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Have fun on your trip. :)

10. dantecat

dantecat New Member

Airplane mode with Wifi? This will be useful when in Europe, to turn off G3 but keep wifi. On mytouch settings you can't do this, if you hit Airplane mode, wifi is automatically turned off. I managed to do this on a mytouch by adding an Airplane Mode widget and a Wifi widget. Those seem to override, or act independently on G3 versus Wifi.. Hope this helps

11. oppy1

oppy1 Member

FYI: GPS still works in Airplane mode. This is because the GPS antenna only needs to receive a signal, but does not transmit.