• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What to look for in used galaxy s3

I hope to keep my existing Verizon contract but replace my current phone to take advantage of the 4G LTE service now available in my area. In looking at craigslist resales I see the statement "clean ESN for Verizon." Can you explain what that means, and is there anything to watch for in purchasing a used phone? In particular, how do I know that it will work on the Verizon network. Finally, if I decide to sell my existing Droid X, how do I "wipe it" so that data/info etc. is no longer on the phone.
Thanks for your help.

I hope to keep my existing Verizon contract but replace my current phone to take advantage of the 4G LTE service now available in my area. In looking at craigslist resales I see the statement "clean ESN for Verizon." Can you explain what that means, and is there anything to watch for in purchasing a used phone? In particular, how do I know that it will work on the Verizon network. Finally, if I decide to sell my existing Droid X, how do I "wipe it" so that data/info etc. is no longer on the phone.
Thanks for your help.

esn means electronic serial number. it is tied to your account when you get the phone activated. if you get a phone that has a bad esn that means that the previous owner either lost the phone or has not paid or settled his/her bill with the carrier. this is why it is important to alway make sure that you get one that is clean otherwise in order for you to activate the phone you will need to settle up with the carrier.

verizon has the s3 so getting it activated should be no problem.

not sure on a droid x, never had a motorolla phone so i can't help you as far as doing a factory reset. usually you can go to the bootloader and do one from there. but i have no idea how to do it on your phone. hopefully others here can help you with that.

Reactions: saguaro_48
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones