What to upgrade to? Wait or now?General

Last Updated:

1. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright, so my brother is going to get on my plan, and I was thinking aout snagging a new android phone, and giving him my Eris, or something else laying around the house lol.

I'm not sure when he's going to exactly get on my plan, but should I wait a little to upgrade or just go for it? Obviously, I know as time goes by better and better phones come out, but anything really soon?

I've of course been thinking about the Incredible, I love the Sense UI. I kind of like the Droid X, but it seems a little bulky and I know it doesn't have Sense.

What are you're guys thoughts? And it's still like a year and 3 months til my contract is up, so I would probably be able to upgrade again in another year.

Advertisement
  2. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

If I could upgrade right now, I would get the Samsung Fascinate.

3. Jcode

Jcode Member

dual core snap dragons are coming?

4. Joe_Evaristo

Joe_Evaristo Well-Known Member

I transitioned from an Eris to a Droid 2, and I couldn't be happier. It's an awesome phone, and Android 2.2 is quite nice. The D2 also feels a bit sturdier to me, and it's got a little bit of weight to it.

There are some things Blur does differently than Sense so it is a little confusing at first...but some of it they do better. I like the universal inbox, so I can see all of my e-mail accounts plus text messages in one spot, without needing multiple icons on the homescreen. SWYPE comes pre-loaded, and I've found I like it a lot.

Due to my recent experiences, I'd also add that if you want good customer support, move away from HTC. Their support people are inept when they decide they actually feel like supporting a problem.

Just take a look over at the Motorola community forums: https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/google-android?view=discussions and compare it to the support board on HTC's site. If you browse for a while you'll notice something important: HTC doesn't monitor their board, so complaints, feature requests, and bug reports go unseen. It doesn't take much browsing on the Motorola board to see staff members helping users troubleshoot and relaying unfixed problems to engineers, initiating bug reports, and forwarding feature requests.

If you care about getting a quality product and getting support when something goes wrong, avoid HTC.

5. Gevis

I do seem to be leaning towards the Droid X at the moment. Seems pretty amazing.

I just hope it would fit in my pant's pockets :)

6. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any "pocket friendly" phones in the pipeline anytime soon. Maybe you should grab up an Incredible before it's discontinued. Are those of us who like "small" phones destined to be stuck with bottom of the line models?

7. Joe_Evaristo

Joe_Evaristo Well-Known Member

How are the bigger phones not "pocket-friendly"? You must have some seriously small pockets!

My Droid 2 fits fine in the same pocket with my keys (car key with fob, Shoprite and Foodtown club cards, house key, 2 old house keys I've been too lazy to get rid of, gate key, and an Arabian Nights name keepsake), my metal business card holder, and a Listerine Pocket Pak...with room to spare.

8. KiWiLiT43

KiWiLiT43 Active Member

Wait! Some new HTC phones are coming through the pipeline that look amazing. And unlike Moto's phones, HTC's easier to root and modify.

9. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

If I didn't want a physical keyboard I would get the Facinate.

10. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

fascinate looks awesome, but I'm still waiting for the new year to see what comes around by then. worst case scenario I pick up a dinc for 50$ bogo

11. Gevis

So I'm getting pretty lucky on this deal. I'm going to give the Eris to my brother, get the X for his upgrade, then around december of NEXT year, I'm either going to get a new phone for christmas or I'll buy a new one for when my contract is up and give him the X or the new one. So there's no reason to wait.

And I don't think I'll have problems with pocket space. It'll be close with a few pairs. The reason being the type of pants I wear...They aren't really emo pants but they do fit a little tighter.

12. lukesdiesel

I would check out the Facinate before I jumped on the X. Just my opinion

13. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

14. Gevis

Wow. The Fascinate does look quite sexiful. I'll definitely look into it some more.

15. zoot123

zoot123 New Member

I say wait until mid-november.

The HTC Merge comes out then and its sexy. Real sexy.

16. lukesdiesel

My wife transfered her upgrade and $100 credit to my line last week. I am going to wait and see what comes out around Christmas time.

17. smacky

smacky Banned

18. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Personally, I would wait if you were going to look at the Samsung, maybey I got a lemon, but the last Samsung phone I god was a serious piece of crap. It had more hardware, and software issues than I ever experienced on my Eris. I know people complain about the Eris, but my Samsung Saga was the worst phone I have ever had. I don't think I will ever buy another Samsung. I would go with the Droid X as well if I could.

19. smacky

smacky Banned

Actually, you don't want a Samsung phone anymore. The A9 comes out at the end of this year. Pwns the A8. The Galaxy S hardware is now officially outdated.

20. Gevis

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Droid X now. It will easily and happily tide me over for a year. Then I'll get whatever is cutting edge at the time.

21. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I saw the Droid x today for the first time, and wow, it sucks!, droid 2 would be nice if rooted with s-off and able to customize. d incredible does it right, thanks www.unrevokd.com

22. smacky

smacky Banned

eFuse has been cracked. There are custom ROMs for the X and D2 now.