What type of Droid user are you?

Last Updated:

1. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When the Droid first came out alot of the reviews of it made it seem like it is a phone for major techno nerds. Meaning it wouldn't really appeal too much to the average consumer. After reading these forums for a few months it seems like most people who post are either very tech savvy or not tech savvy at all.

What I'm wondering is where do you fall on this spectrum. I'm sure there are people on here who haven't even installed any widgets on their homescreen and then there are people who have rooted, flashed and modified their phones in all sorts of ways.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I am on the higher end of computer literacy but I never do any programming myself or even go into command lines or touch linux.

What I've done with my droid so far is install a homescreen replacement (Home++) re-arranged all my icons and widgets and such to the point where I think everything looks nice and appealing. The furthest I've gone into the l337 h4x0r end of things is just installing some leaked applications (google news and weather, swype, the 2.1 gallery)

I've read up on rooting and the wifi tethering sounds really appealing to me but I just dont really trust myself to not brick my phone at this point so I'm going to wait till 2.1 is out for a while before going down that road.

So what do you do with your droid and do you plan on going further into customization down the road?

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I guess you would consider me a tech-geek. I've spent a lot of time with Linux, computers, phones, what have you, and have done a bit of programming. It's not my line of work though. Personally I haven't bothered to flash a ROM yet or root the phone because there wasn't really anything I needed out of it. I was going to do 2.1, but I'm waiting to see if we get an official release next week. I do constantly change the layout of my phone, and have widgets and customization all over the place.

I don't know if the users here are representative of the majority of Droid owners. Most people that spend a lot of time on the forums (excluding those who show up for one off questions) are here because we're heavily into the phone and spend a lot of time playing with it and figuring new things out. There are probably tons of Droid users who have never changed the thing from default, but I doubt many of them are hanging around here.

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I am by no means a computer or phone geek, but do like to use them and play around...cautiously...with them.
    I will not root, I won't install 2.1 ahead of the release but I have installed and removed widgets and apps. I like to see what is out there and if it serves a purpose for me or not. I like to change my wallpaper until I get it right (sporting a nice shot of my German Shepherd, it will stay!) and I am constantly moving icons from screen to screen...getting the feng shiu down. I think I have it now, until I find another widget or app, probably later tonight. lol. I read the threads here to learn more about my fun bad-ass phone as I want to use it as best/much as I can, that's why I got it!!
    I know enough about it that I can seriously impress people with it but don't know enough to even consider rooting.
    Middle of the road user here.

4. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle kinda. Im not computer illiterate, i have an extent knowledge but iim certainly no professional. I think the average person who buys this phone will actually learn mmore about their computers, and their phone and how it works just by having the phone.

5. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

Techno nerd with plenty of "one time at band camp" stories.

I've been using phones in ways they weren't intended since my LG VX6000 (my second cell phone which admittedly wasn't that long ago).

6. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

im a vfx artist and sit in front of a computer all day...i buy all the cool electronics when they come out...so i think im the tech geek category.

I figured out how to tether my gps to my lg dare with bluetooth and get online with the embedded windows CE....lol

7. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

Middle of the road here... I play with the phone, tinker with apps, read these forums regularly with consistency, always looking for new things, always improving my screens etc...

My Step Mom got the Droid, and she is a low end user. In the month she has had it she has maybe downloaded and installed two apps... still using stock home and only has her email coming to her phone because I set it up for her. Has no clue what capabilities she has at her fingertips! I'm guessing there are quite a few owners like her... but I agree they wouldn't be hanging out on the forums.

8. Bxrider11

Bxrider11 Well-Known Member

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm not computer savy but I like to try and figure things out. I had a blackberry before my Droid and I was always playing with it. I've already rooted my Droid buy following instructions s on YouTube. I installed 2.1 and some other roms but I went back to stock 2.0.1. Everyrhig else makes the phone a little laggy. I think anyone could play with their Droid just follow the instructions.